RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Xsane & Gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

16 of 17 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Best performance on 4000x2200 pixel images. Dana Sibera 28 Jan 11:33
  Best performance on 4000x2200 pixel images. Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 28 Jan 12:59
   Xsane & Gimp Vittorio 29 Jan 09:05
    Xsane & Gimp Carol Spears 29 Jan 18:06
   Best performance on 4000x2200 pixel images. Sven Neumann 29 Jan 15:02
  Best performance on 4000x2200 pixel images. Sven Neumann 29 Jan 12:38
Best performance on 4000x2200 pixel images. William Skaggs 28 Jan 22:32
  Best performance on 4000x2200 pixel images. Sven Neumann 30 Jan 15:20
41FB6F62.8020302@get2net.dk 07 Oct 20:16
  Xsane & Gimp Vittorio 29 Jan 14:26
   Xsane & Gimp Mogens Jaeger 30 Jan 03:30
    Xsane & Gimp Vittorio 30 Jan 09:29
     Xsane & Gimp Sven Neumann 30 Jan 15:23
      Xsane & Gimp Vittorio 30 Jan 17:36
       Xsane & Gimp Sven Neumann 30 Jan 17:44
     Xsane & Gimp Mogens Jaeger 30 Jan 16:17
      Xsane & Gimp Vittorio 30 Jan 17:32
Dana Sibera
2005-01-28 11:33:17 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Best performance on 4000x2200 pixel images.

I'm having what seem to be performance issues with editing some images about 4000x2200 pixels (they're panoramas of multiple photos), and would like some advice on the best settings in GIMP for RAM use, or whether what I'm seeing is normal.

I have 640MB in this machine, and GIMP is set to use a tile cache size of 400MB. By the look of GIMP's info in the window of the photo I'm editing, it's only taking 161MB once flattened, so I don't think RAM use is the problem, but could be wrong - I'm not familiar with exactly how GIMP best uses memory :).

In any case, the specific problem I'm getting is while colour balancing of the final image, and each shift of the slider requires a bit over 20 seconds to complete the colour change over the image, which seems slower than it should be. It's just a little difficult to really get an idea how the before/after compare when it doesn't flick from one adjustment to another in time to see it 'real time'.

thanks in advance, Dana

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-01-28 12:59:50 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi Dana!

I am afraid you've hit a design issue with the GIMP - when adjusting colors via tools, i t simply operates on the whole image for each preview step.

The options let to you right now are workarounds: Either select a small part of the image, preview on that part, hit cancel, select all the imagem, anbd adjust to the optimal previewd values later. Or - if yoou need to see the effect in the wholke image, make a copy of the image, scale it so it gets smaller (like 800x600), and select your adjustment values on the scaled down version. Them apply these values to the larger image.

Sorry, but currently the GIMP does not automate that, and it, in this case, has not to do with RAM, it is raw CPU power that counts.

Regards, JS
->

On Friday 28 January 2005 08:33, Dana Sibera wrote:

I'm having what seem to be performance issues with editing some images about 4000x2200 pixels (they're panoramas of multiple photos), and would like some advice on the best settings in GIMP for RAM use, or whether what I'm seeing is normal.

I have 640MB in this machine, and GIMP is set to use a tile cache size of 400MB. By the look of GIMP's info in the window of the photo I'm editing, it's only taking 161MB once flattened, so I don't think RAM use is the problem, but could be wrong - I'm not familiar with exactly how GIMP best uses memory :).

In any case, the specific problem I'm getting is while colour balancing of the final image, and each shift of the slider requires a bit over 20 seconds to complete the colour change over the image, which seems slower than it should be. It's just a little difficult to really get an idea how the before/after compare when it doesn't flick from one adjustment to another in time to see it 'real time'.

thanks in advance, Dana

William Skaggs
2005-01-28 22:32:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Dana Silbera wrote:

I think you're right, actually. (You must have a pretty slow machine, though -- it only takes about 3 seconds for an image that size on mine.)

I have noticed before that the previews for the image map tools (of which color balance is one) seem slower than they ought to be. The operation they are doing is extrememly simple, so they ought to be as fast as other simple tools like bucket-fill, but they are not.

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Vittorio
2005-01-29 09:05:15 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Xsane & Gimp

Context:
pentium 4, kde 3.3.2, the very last build of linux gentoo compiled from scratch; gimp 2.0.4, xsane 0.96, xscanimage 1.0.13; epson usb scanner

Both xsane and xscanimage alone work smoothly with the usb scanner. The directories /ushr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ and  /usr/local/lib/gimp-2.0/plug-ins/ contain @xsane and @xscanimage.
When I launch the gimp 2.0 I see during the booting phase of the program that xsane and xscanimage are detected as plugins BUT... if I a ask to acquire an image  neither xsane nor xscanimage are displayed in the file->acquire menu (sorry I'm translating the menu item from Italian into English!)

What should I check and do in the end? (A step by step explanation please)

Ciao Vittorio

--
gentoo-user@gentoo.org mailing list

Sven Neumann
2005-01-29 12:38:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Dana Sibera writes:

Color correcting the image affects all pixels, so such an operation needs quite a bit of memory on the undo stack. So you might be filling up the tile cache with undo steps here. Lowering the number of minimum undo steps could help to improve this.

But then, the color correction tools in GIMP are definitely slower than they would have to be and most probably the time it takes is just the time that it takes.

Sven

Vittorio
2005-01-29 14:26:21 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Xsane & Gimp

Alle 11:11, sabato 29 gennaio 2005, Mogens Jaeger ha scritto:

Vittorio wrote:

Context:
pentium 4, kde 3.3.2, the very last build of linux gentoo compiled from scratch; gimp 2.0.4, xsane 0.96, xscanimage 1.0.13; epson usb scanner

Both xsane and xscanimage alone work smoothly with the usb scanner. The directories /ushr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ and /usr/local/lib/gimp-2.0/plug-ins/ contain @xsane and @xscanimage.
When I launch the gimp 2.0 I see during the booting phase of the program that xsane and xscanimage are detected as plugins BUT... if I a ask to acquire an image neither xsane nor xscanimage are displayed in the file->acquire menu (sorry I'm translating the menu item from Italian into English!)

Ciao Vittorio

Hello

I don't know about the xscanimage, but for xsane do as described in the readme:
To run xsane under the gimp(1), simply set a symbolic link from the xsane-binary to one of
the gimp(1) plug-ins directories.

I did it, as I said in my message. Ciao
Vittorio

Sven Neumann
2005-01-29 15:02:03 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris" writes:

I am afraid you've hit a design issue with the GIMP - when adjusting colors via tools, i t simply operates on the whole image for each preview step.

I don't think this counts as a design issue. A design problem would be something that could not be solved without a major redesign. The speed of the color adjustment preview can certainly be improved based on the current design.

Sven

Carol Spears
2005-01-29 18:06:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Xsane & Gimp

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 08:05:15AM +0000, Vittorio wrote:

Both xsane and xscanimage alone work smoothly with the usb scanner. The directories /ushr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ and ?/usr/local/lib/gimp-2.0/plug-ins/ contain @xsane and @xscanimage.
When I launch the gimp 2.0 I see during the booting phase of the program that xsane and xscanimage are detected as plugins BUT... if I a ask to acquire an image ?neither xsane nor xscanimage are displayed in the file->acquire menu (sorry I'm translating the menu item from Italian into English!)

-->Acquire and it should be in this list.

carol

Mogens Jaeger
2005-01-30 03:30:06 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Xsane & Gimp

Vittorio wrote:

Vittorio wrote:

Context:

Both xsane and xscanimage alone work smoothly with the usb scanner. The directories /ushr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ and /usr/local/lib/gimp-2.0/plug-ins/ contain @xsane and @xscanimage.
When I launch the gimp 2.0 I see during the booting phase of the program that xsane and xscanimage are detected as plugins BUT... if I a ask to acquire an image neither xsane nor xscanimage are displayed in the file->acquire menu (sorry I'm translating the menu item

from Italian into English!)

Ciao Vittorio

Hello

To run xsane under the gimp(1), simply set a symbolic link from the xsane-binary to one of

I did it, as I said in my message.

No - in your message you said it was in:

The directories /ushr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ and /usr/local/lib/gimp-2.0/plug-ins/

but it has to be as an symbolic link in your user plug-ins directories, like:
~/.gimp-2.0/plug-ins/

Vittorio
2005-01-30 09:29:09 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Xsane & Gimp

Alle 02:30, domenica 30 gennaio 2005, Mogens Jaeger ha scritto:

Vittorio wrote:

Vittorio wrote:

Context:

When I launch the gimp 2.0 I see during the booting phase of the program that xsane and xscanimage are detected as plugins

The directories /ushr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ and /usr/local/lib/gimp-2.0/plug-ins/

~/.gimp-2.0/plug-ins/

You're right, sorry!
I put this new link as you said but still doesn't work,i.e. xsane (which works standalone, I repeat) is seen by the Gimp as a plug-in BUT doesn't appear in the menu.
Ciao
Vittorio

Sven Neumann
2005-01-30 15:20:41 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"William Skaggs" writes:

I have noticed before that the previews for the image map tools (of which color balance is one) seem slower than they ought to be. The operation they are doing is extrememly simple, so they ought to be as fast as other simple tools like bucket-fill, but they are not.

It doesn't surprise me that filling with a solid color is faster than applying a color-correction. I don't think the image map tools are implemented particularily slow (but of course I would like to see a faster implementation). The problem rather seems to be that the effect is applied on the whole image instead of doing some kind of preview that takes the viewed area and display scale into account.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2005-01-30 15:23:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Xsane & Gimp

Hi,

Vittorio writes:

I put this new link as you said but still doesn't work,i.e. xsane (which works standalone, I repeat) is seen by the Gimp as a plug-in BUT doesn't appear in the menu. Ciao Vittorio

How do you know that it is seen by GIMP as a plug-in? Did you locate it in the Plug-In Browser (as found in Toolbox->Xtns)?

Sven

Mogens Jaeger
2005-01-30 16:17:33 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Xsane & Gimp

Vittorio wrote:

Vittorio wrote:

Vittorio wrote:

Context:

When I launch the gimp 2.0 I see during the booting phase of the program that xsane and xscanimage are detected as plugins

~/.gimp-2.0/plug-ins/

You're right, sorry!
I put this new link as you said but still doesn't work,i.e. xsane (which works standalone, I repeat) is seen by the Gimp as a plug-in BUT doesn't appear in the menu.
Ciao
Vittorio

How, as a standalone? if I call xsane without the Gimp open, it by default scans to viewer, file or others, but under Gimp, it scans to the Gimp.

My xsane under Gimp is located under 'file/acquire' from top-menu.

Vittorio
2005-01-30 17:32:39 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Xsane & Gimp

Alle 15:17, domenica 30 gennaio 2005, Mogens Jaeger ha scritto:

Vittorio wrote:

Vittorio wrote:

Vittorio wrote:

Context:

~/.gimp-2.0/plug-ins/

You're right, sorry!
Ciao
Vittorio

How, as a standalone? if I call xsane without the Gimp open, it by default scans to viewer, file or others, but under Gimp, it scans to the Gimp.

My xsane under Gimp is located under 'file/acquire' from top-menu.

Right, I mean that I tried to verify if xsane worked, was in order. So, launching it on its own, outside the gimp I could work with it to acquire an image, a fax, etc. So xsane exists & works, isn't "out of order". Its the combination of xsane & the gimp that doesn't seem to work properly.

Ciao Vittorio

Vittorio
2005-01-30 17:36:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Xsane & Gimp

Alle 14:23, domenica 30 gennaio 2005, Sven Neumann ha scritto:

Hi,

Vittorio writes:

I put this new link as you said but still doesn't work,i.e. xsane (which works standalone, I repeat) is seen by the Gimp as a plug-in BUT doesn't appear in the menu. Ciao Vittorio

How do you know that it is seen by GIMP as a plug-in? Did you locate it in the Plug-In Browser (as found in Toolbox->Xtns)?

Sven, when you launch the gimp, at the very beginning during the booting a rectangular box with the word Gimp 2.0 and many running words occupies the display. One of those running words is "plug-ins" and another is "xsane". This intutevely makes me think that xsane has been detected.

Ciao Vittorio
I

Sven Neumann
2005-01-30 17:44:34 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Xsane & Gimp

Hi,

Vittorio writes:

Sven, when you launch the gimp, at the very beginning during the booting a rectangular box with the word Gimp 2.0 and many running words occupies the display. One of those running words is "plug-ins" and another is "xsane". This intutevely makes me think that xsane has been detected.

Sure, that tells you that GIMP sees the plug-in executable and queries it. It doesn't tell you anything about the results of this query. Looking at the Plug-In Browser, as I told you, would probably give you some useful information.

Sven