RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gegl

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Version 2.2 Gimp Richard 27 Jan 20:01
  Version 2.2 Gimp Malcolm Tredinnick 27 Jan 22:21
   Version 2.2 Gimp Richard 27 Jan 23:18
    Version 2.2 Gimp David Neary 28 Jan 09:46
     Gegl Richard 28 Jan 23:25
      Gegl Sven Neumann 29 Jan 12:40
  Pre-press considerations (CMYK) vassilis 28 Jan 00:34
   Pre-press considerations (CMYK) Owen Cook 28 Jan 00:52
    Pre-press considerations (CMYK) vassilis 28 Jan 00:57
   Pre-press considerations (CMYK) Steve Stavropoulos 28 Jan 00:52
Richard
2005-01-27 20:01:42 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Version 2.2 Gimp

Question, going from version 2.0
to version 2.2 what has changes, or what improvements, do we have now?

...is this version now 48 bit ? per say, 16 bit per R/G/B ? also, what about black and white? can we do 16 bit? or 32 bit grey scale ?

Thank You. Richard

Malcolm Tredinnick
2005-01-27 22:21:58 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Version 2.2 Gimp

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 14:01 -0500, Richard wrote:

...is this version now 48 bit ? per say, 16 bit per R/G/B ? also, what about black and white? can we do 16 bit? or 32 bit grey scale ?

The release notes for the 2.2.x releases are available from gimp.org. These link to the "what's new" Wiki page and the NEWS file:
http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/WhatsNew2
http://wilber.gimp.org/~neo/NEWS

Malcolm

Richard
2005-01-27 23:18:36 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Version 2.2 Gimp

Thanks,
but neither link answers my question, on bit's ( color depth )

TKS - Rick

Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 14:01 -0500, Richard wrote:

The release notes for the 2.2.x releases are available from gimp.org. These link to the "what's new" Wiki page and the NEWS file:
http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/WhatsNew2
http://wilber.gimp.org/~neo/NEWS

Malcolm

vassilis
2005-01-28 00:34:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Pre-press considerations (CMYK)

Hello all!
Being keen in using open software for my work, I ended up with GIMP as far as it concerns DIP. Not without problems, though! I understand that GIMP is not press-oriented, thus there is little to not at all consideration on working with the CMYK model. Yet I desperately need to convert my work to CMYK (otherwise I cannot deliver my work!). Can anybody advise me on how to overcome this bump?

Friendly,

Vassilis.

Owen Cook
2005-01-28 00:52:01 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, vassilis wrote:

Being keen in using open software for my work, I ended up with GIMP as far as it concerns DIP. Not without problems, though! I understand that GIMP is not press-oriented, thus there is little to not at all consideration on working with the CMYK model. Yet I desperately need to convert my work to CMYK (otherwise I cannot deliver my work!). Can anybody advise me on how to overcome this bump?

I am not sure what you want to do, but have you looked at Scribus (a DTP). You can import/modify your Gimp work(with gimp) in that and do all the prepress stuff.

Owen

Steve Stavropoulos
2005-01-28 00:52:42 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I understand that GIMP is not press-oriented, thus there is little to not at all consideration on working with the CMYK model. Yet I desperately need to convert my work to CMYK

You can take a look at the separate plugin by alastair robinson which can convert rgb to cmyk (using layers) and then save it. Go here: http://www.blackfiveservices.co.uk/separate.shtml (btw, I found that suse (at least 9.1) has this plugin packaged with the name gimp-cmyk)

vassilis
2005-01-28 00:57:28 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Friday 28 January 2005 01:52, you wrote:

I am not sure what you want to do, but have you looked at Scribus (a DTP). You can import/modify your Gimp work(with gimp) in that and do all the prepress stuff.

Actually I am using SCRIBUS for my DTP work.. It also seems to be having some problems handling CMYK files. One has to go round a few issues to get it to work! You have to import CMYK files, though, if you want to do your job.. So the problem with GIMP remains!

Owen

David Neary
2005-01-28 09:46:46 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Version 2.2 Gimp

Hi Richard,

Richard wrote:

Thanks,
but neither link answers my question, on bit's ( color depth )

Well, they kind of do (in that, if the GIMP were 16 bits per channel now, it would have been in the release notes). The short answer is no, we aren't.

Cheers, Dave.

Richard
2005-01-28 23:25:28 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Gegl

What about Gegl when will this happen?

Richard

Sven Neumann
2005-01-29 12:40:01 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Gegl

Hi,

Richard writes:

What about Gegl when will this happen?

If and when "it" will happen depends on the amount of contributions. At the moment GEGL development is rather slow.

Sven