RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Changing brush size does not work

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Changing brush size does not work t2o5ive 12 May 13:45
  Changing brush size does not work rich2005 12 May 16:10
   Changing brush size does not work Steve Kinney 14 May 17:33
  Changing brush size does not work Michael Schumacher 15 May 05:54
2017-05-12 13:45:09 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

I can't change brush size in GIMP. I've been working on this simple task all morning. I've downloaded and installed the most recent stable version of GIMP (2.8.22). I've created a new brush so that I can edit it. Changing the radius of the brush does nothing (see attached image). I'm about to throw my computer out the window. Please, help, help, help!

rich2005
2017-05-12 16:10:00 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

I can't change brush size in GIMP. I've been working on this simple task all morning.
I've downloaded and installed the most recent stable version of GIMP (2.8.22).
I've created a new brush so that I can edit it. Changing the radius of the brush does nothing (see attached image). I'm about to throw my computer out the window. Please, help, help, help!

That is not the way it works.

The brush designer does what it says, designs a parametric (.vbr) brush, which is a bit like a vector, the brush is a text file description of properties.

Each brush has a 'natural' size, which you can reset in Gimp 2.8.22 using the little yellow arrow in the Brush tool options. see: small-brush

Exactly the same brush can use the size slider to resize to the new size ( 2x the radius) so for a 725 radius use 1450. see: large-brush

You could save both of your brushes radius = 55 and radius = 725 as separate .vbr files and use the little yellow arrow to set the size, but it is a bit pointless when one will do.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Steve Kinney
2017-05-14 17:33:05 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On 05/12/2017 12:10 PM, rich2005 wrote:

I can't change brush size in GIMP. I've been working on this simple task all morning.
I've downloaded and installed the most recent stable version of GIMP (2.8.22).
I've created a new brush so that I can edit it. Changing the radius of the brush does nothing (see attached image). I'm about to throw my computer out the window. Please, help, help, help!

That is not the way it works.

The brush designer does what it says, designs a parametric (.vbr) brush, which is a bit like a vector, the brush is a text file description of properties.

Each brush has a 'natural' size, which you can reset in Gimp 2.8.22 using the little yellow arrow in the Brush tool options. see: small-brush

Exactly the same brush can use the size slider to resize to the new size ( 2x the radius) so for a 725 radius use 1450. see: large-brush

You could save both of your brushes radius = 55 and radius = 725 as separate .vbr files and use the little yellow arrow to set the size, but it is a bit pointless when one will do.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

I don't know if there is some configuration problem involved, but if not this may be of use: You can set up the GIMP so that holding the ALT key down and scrolling your mouse wheel will make brushes larger or smaller on demand. Go to Edit > Preferences > Input Controllers and double click on Main Mouse Wheel to bring up the configuration dialog. Picture worth thousand words:

http://pilobilus.net/img/mouse-scale-brush.jpg

I think this setting should be a "default" - but meanwhile, you can set it up yourself. I also configure the GIMP to make the current brush "softer" or "harder" - that is, more or less fuzzy around the edge - in response to holding down Ctrl + Shift + Alt and scrolling the mouse wheel up and down. (This only works with VBR brushes.) Controlling brush size and hardness with the mouse wheel is way more efficient than constantly switching between brushes or leaving the canvas to drag slide controls around.

:o)

Michael Schumacher
2017-05-15 05:54:21 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On May 12, 2017 3:45:09 PM GMT+02:00, t2o5ive wrote:

Changing the radius of the brush does nothing (see attached image).

http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/572/original/brush_size.jpg

Change the size in the paint tool options.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD