RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

New to list! Cannot write XPM

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

New to list! Cannot write XPM Geek 17 Jan 21:19
  New to list! Cannot write XPM Brion Vibber 17 Jan 22:21
  New to list! Cannot write XPM Sven Neumann 18 Jan 02:27
   New to list! Cannot write XPM Geek 18 Jan 07:21
Geek
2005-01-17 21:19:49 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hello!

I am a Debian woody user and use the .deb package of GIMP, which is 1.2.3 at this time.

I just had to re-install and found my freshly installed GIMP cannot write XPM, but only read.

I have the full XPM libraries installed, including the -dev headers.

Until this is fixed, I am using XnView 1.68 to convert to XPM from saved PNG and it has no problem accessing the XPM libraries, My IceWM+dfm also has no problem accessing the libraries, so they must be good.

It was suggested I write to this list first, before contacting the Debian package maintainer.

Sorry if this was asked before, I tried to do a mail list search, but the database was down :-(

On a side-note, before my system went down, I did compile and install GIMP-1.2.5 from source and it too couldn't write XPM.

F-prot also found Bat@delfile.troj trojan in the Win32 libs of the 1.2.5 source.

Thanks for any help!

Brion Vibber
2005-01-17 22:21:46 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Geek wrote:

I am a Debian woody user and use the .deb package of GIMP, which is 1.2.3 at this time.

1.2.3 is about three years old, and two entire release cycles have gone by since then, including lots of bug fixes. If you can't run a current version (the current stable release is 2.2.2), you might try contacting the Debian package maintainer.

(Much more recent versions of Gimp are available in Debian's testing and unstable distributions.)

I just had to re-install and found my freshly installed GIMP cannot write XPM, but only read.

A google search on 'gimp save xpm' turns up a notice about a problem on Mandrake with a bug in the XPM library causing Gimp to be unable to save XPM files. The same or a similar bug may or may not be hitting you.

Also, you might want to specify just how things are failing. Is there an error message when you try to save, or is the option of XPM not even given? Are there messages on the console? etc

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Sven Neumann
2005-01-18 02:27:45 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Geek" writes:

Until this is fixed, I am using XnView 1.68 to convert to XPM from saved PNG and it has no problem accessing the XPM libraries, My IceWM+dfm also has no problem accessing the libraries, so they must be good.

No, they are not good. The problem is that your version of the XPM library doesn't allow absolute path names to be used which breaks the gimp XPM plug-in. The fact that other tools work doesn't prove that your verson of libxpm is 'good'.

See also:

http://bugs.debian.org/286164 http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=161593

F-prot also found Bat@delfile.troj trojan in the Win32 libs of the 1.2.5 source.

F-prot is on crack and the F-prot people have been told about this a long time ago. The fact that they didn't fix that yet doesn't shed a good light on them.

Sven

Geek
2005-01-18 07:21:18 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi Sven,

Hi,

"Geek" writes:

> I am a Debian woody user and use the .deb package of GIMP, which is > 1.2.3 at this time.
>
> I just had to re-install and found my freshly installed GIMP cannot > write XPM, but only read.
>
> I have the full XPM libraries installed, including the -dev headers. >
> Until this is fixed, I am using XnView 1.68 to convert to XPM from > saved PNG and it has no problem accessing the XPM libraries, My > IceWM+dfm also has no problem accessing the libraries, so they must > be good.

No, they are not good. The problem is that your version of the XPM library doesn't allow absolute path names to be used which breaks the gimp XPM plug-in. The fact that other tools work doesn't prove that your verson of libxpm is 'good'.

See also:

http://bugs.debian.org/286164
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=161593

Thanks for the info!

RE: the bug reports - I know little C (I'm a Perl guy), will it work if I delete all lines referring to the leading slash in WrFFrI.c?