RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Window-Title - Meaning of %f

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 13 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Window-Title - Meaning of %f Andreas Waechter 15 Jan 08:35
  Window-Title - Meaning of %f Manish Singh 15 Jan 09:21
  Window-Title - Meaning of %f Sven Neumann 15 Jan 12:19
   Window-Title - Meaning of %f Andreas Waechter 15 Jan 16:51
    Window-Title - Meaning of %f Carol Spears 15 Jan 17:23
     Window-Title - Meaning of %f Andreas Waechter 15 Jan 20:47
      Window-Title - Meaning of %f michael crane 15 Jan 21:39
       Window-Title - Meaning of %f David Neary 15 Jan 23:27
        Window-Title - Meaning of %f Andreas Waechter 15 Jan 23:39
       Window-Title - Meaning of %f Sven Neumann 15 Jan 23:34
       Window-Title - Meaning of %f Carol Spears 15 Jan 23:39
      Window-Title - Meaning of %f Carol Spears 16 Jan 00:18
      Window-Title - Meaning of %f Sven Neumann 16 Jan 00:30
Andreas Waechter
2005-01-15 08:35:23 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hello,

in Gimp, you can change the title of image windows (in File - Preferences - Interface - Image Windows - Title & Status).

But I could not find any help about the meaning of the letters which are used in combination with %. I could only derive a few from the given examples:

%% is a percent sign %z is the zoom percentag
%t is the type (RGB/indexed/Grayscale) %f is the filename
%m is the memory usage
%d:%s is the zoom ratio
%p and %i are some numbers, %i could be the number of the view and %p the number of the image

Is there a complete list to be found somewhere?

Thanks in advance, Andreas

Manish Singh
2005-01-15 09:21:39 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 08:35:23AM +0100, Andreas Waechter wrote:

Hello,

in Gimp, you can change the title of image windows (in File - Preferences - Interface - Image Windows - Title & Status).

But I could not find any help about the meaning of the letters which are used in combination with %. I could only derive a few from the given examples:

%% is a percent sign %z is the zoom percentag
%t is the type (RGB/indexed/Grayscale) %f is the filename
%m is the memory usage
%d:%s is the zoom ratio
%p and %i are some numbers, %i could be the number of the view and %p the number of the image

Look at the gimprc manpage.

-Yosh

Sven Neumann
2005-01-15 12:19:09 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Andreas Waechter writes:

But I could not find any help about the meaning of the letters which are used in combination with %.

Yes. It's in the gimprc manpage, also available online:
http://gimp.org/man/gimprc.html

Sven

Andreas Waechter
2005-01-15 16:51:34 UTC (over 19 years ago)

in Gimp, you can change the title of image windows (in File - Preferences - Interface - Image Windows - Title & Status). But I could not find any help about the meaning of the letters which are used in combination with %.

Thanks. Also to Yosh.

Not a very obvious place to look for it ...

Carol Spears
2005-01-15 17:23:27 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 04:51:34PM +0100, Andreas Waechter wrote:

in Gimp, you can change the title of image windows (in File - Preferences - Interface - Image Windows - Title & Status). But I could not find any help about the meaning of the letters which are used in combination with %.

Thanks. Also to Yosh.

can you share an example of an obvious place?

carol

Andreas Waechter
2005-01-15 20:47:24 UTC (over 19 years ago)

THE obvious place for that information would be where that information is needed.
On the same page of the Preferences dialog. As I answered on Alan Horkans question already (which went to him only because of that imho stupid list default for replies - this is the only list out of 20+ where a reply goes to the sender instead of to the list) the title with that big icon is superfluous as the current page of the preferences dialog is marked in the tree, also the two lists for preset choices of titles/statusbar entries could be much smaller (and scrollable if necessary).

One or two lines would be enough - just display the %f and so on and give the meaning in a tooltip.

Andreas

michael crane
2005-01-15 21:39:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Andreas Waechter wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

>>> Yes. It's in the gimprc manpage, also available online: >>
>>
>> Thanks. Also to Yosh.
>>
>> Not a very obvious place to look for it ... >
>
>
> can you share an example of an obvious place?

hello It took me a little time to guess I should type "man gimp-2.0"
not "man gimp" nor "man gimp-2.0.1"

great software . be lost without it.

thanks

mick

David Neary
2005-01-15 23:27:20 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

michael crane wrote:

Andreas Waechter wrote:

It took me a little time to guess I should type "man gimp-2.0"

Clicking "Help" in the Preferences dialog where you set the title brings you to the page of the manual which also describes the format codes.

Cheers,
Dave.

Sven Neumann
2005-01-15 23:34:38 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

michael crane writes:

"man gimp" should work. During installation a symlink is created. No idea why that didn't work for you.

Sven

Andreas Waechter
2005-01-15 23:39:01 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Clicking "Help" in the Preferences dialog where you set the title brings you to the page of the manual which also describes the format codes.

Appendix C. Eeek! a help is missing

is no description of the format codes ...

(I just downloaded and installed the help package again from Jernej's page to make sure I do not have an old version)

Andreas

Carol Spears
2005-01-15 23:39:14 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 08:39:48PM +0000, michael crane wrote:

Andreas Waechter wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

Thanks. Also to Yosh.

hello

i admit, i did not understand this until i read it here.

thank you

carol

Carol Spears
2005-01-16 00:18:07 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 08:47:24PM +0100, Andreas Waechter wrote:

THE obvious place for that information would be where that information is needed.
On the same page of the Preferences dialog. As I answered on Alan Horkans question already (which went to him only because of that imho stupid list default for replies - this is the only list out of 20+ where a reply goes to the sender instead of to the list) the title with that big icon is superfluous as the current page of the preferences dialog is marked in the tree, also the two lists for preset choices of titles/statusbar entries could be much smaller (and scrollable if necessary).

sorry about all of the frustration here. the thing that must be remembered is that you are using software which would not exist if not for its linux origins and its linux ways, and for what i understand about how that all works, it should be worth the cost of the application if all you are asked is to respect its origins and traditions.

there is another side of this argument (i am not taking either side right now) where people are concerned about the need to have all configurations have a gui. they already destroyed some of the nicest parts of the file selection and file saving in the name of simplicity, i prefer that they dont clutter the rest of the gui to make this sort of personalization easier for the few who need it. i have been following this list for many years and this is the first time someone needed to change the title on the image window, to the best of my memory.

i think there is a point where people with extreme and unusual personalization needs might need to do a little not pretty digging. the fact that your question was answered here, both quickly and accurately means it was not so difficult to find out and using the default titles did not hamper your image making needs so much. (or did it?)

One or two lines would be enough - just display the %f and so on and give the meaning in a tooltip.

perhaps you could write a tutorial about how to make the changes you need with the way the gimp currently does this? sometimes my tutorials are written to show something i think is stupid and should be done better. none of my recent tutorials do this, but it is still an excellent way to contribute, sound off and express your opinion all at the same time. and occasionally, as i have written the tutorials, i could see the reason things were done this way.

gimp tries to work with freedesktop.org so that it can continue to work on all platforms, so please cite things there so that we can continue the multi-platform work.

that way to handle the window titles is how the linux people have been doing their windows since i started to use it. if it is compliant with the desktop standards, then user interface is the next priority (the way i see it). an online how-to is a good step in the right direction for you to help others who might also want to change their window titles.

carol

Sven Neumann
2005-01-16 00:30:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Andreas Waechter writes:

THE obvious place for that information would be where that information is needed. On the same page of the Preferences dialog.

Needless to say that this has been suggested before. We agreed that the user shouldn't have to deal with format strings at all. What we need is a widget that allows to edit the title and statusbar strings using a simple point-and-click interface. That would be a nice little project for someone who wants to start hacking on GIMP.

Sven