RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Layers merging on exit (MNG plug-in is write only)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Layers merging on exit Ryan Coyner 15 Jan 04:45
  Layers merging on exit Barton Bosch 15 Jan 06:54
  Layers merging on exit Alan Horkan 15 Jan 14:19
   Layers merging on exit Sven Neumann 15 Jan 15:32
    Layers merging on exit Alan Horkan 16 Jan 00:57
     Layers merging on exit Sven Neumann 16 Jan 01:53
  Layers merging on exit Carol Spears 15 Jan 16:00
Layers merging on exit Matthew H Plough (mplough@Princeton.EDU) 15 Jan 06:44
Layers merging on exit (MNG plug-in is write only) Ben Christy 24 Jan 07:17
  Layers merging on exit (MNG plug-in is write only) Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 25 Jan 12:27
   Layers merging on exit (MNG plug-in is write only) Sven Neumann 25 Jan 22:42
Ryan Coyner
2005-01-15 04:45:13 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Layers merging on exit

Hey guys. I'm having some problems with layers, and if any of you can help me find a solution, I'd appreciate it.

When I quit (after saving) the gimp while working a project with multiple layers, all the layers seem to merge into one called "Background" when I open it up again. Is there a way to preserve the multiple layers so tha when I come back to the project I can edit the individual layers? Thanks in advance.

Matthew H Plough (mplough@Princeton.EDU)
2005-01-15 06:44:37 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Layers merging on exit

Are you saving as .xcf? Or are you saving in an image format that doesn't do layers, such as basically anything except xcf or psd?

Matt

----- Original Message ----- From: Ryan Coyner
Date: Friday, January 14, 2005 10:45 pm Subject: [Gimp-user] Layers merging on exit

Hey guys. I'm having some problems with layers, and if any of you can help me find a solution, I'd appreciate it.

When I quit (after saving) the gimp while working a project with multiple layers, all the layers seem to merge into one called "Background" when I open it up again. Is there a way to preserve the multiple layers so tha when I come back to the project I can edit the individual layers? Thanks in advance.

Barton Bosch
2005-01-15 06:54:21 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Layers merging on exit

Ryan Coyner wrote:

Try saving in .xcf format, it should save most Gimp relevant items along with your image data.

Barton

Alan Horkan
2005-01-15 14:19:34 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Layers merging on exit

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Ryan Coyner wrote:

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:45:13 -0500 From: Ryan Coyner
To: Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: [Gimp-user] Layers merging on exit

Something similar happened to me while using Indexed mode. Only the XCF files allow multilayer Indexed colour files, PSD does not.

Generally speaking most file formats do not allow multiple layers at all. Those that do include XCF and PSD (and possibly MNG if you have it installed) but XCF is the only format you can be sure will save the maximum amount of information possible.

- Alan H.

Sven Neumann
2005-01-15 15:32:43 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Layers merging on exit

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

Generally speaking most file formats do not allow multiple layers at all. Those that do include XCF and PSD (and possibly MNG if you have it installed) but XCF is the only format you can be sure will save the maximum amount of information possible.

MNG supports layers but GIMP can't read MNG files, so that's not a good advice.

Sven

Carol Spears
2005-01-15 16:00:24 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Layers merging on exit

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 10:45:13PM -0500, Ryan Coyner wrote:

can you provide additional information?

an example file is helpful whenever reporting a problem or asking for help.

they make me explain the methods i used to create the file.

right now in this thread, everyone is just guessing -- people who would be better working on actual gimp problems are even getting in on the discussion.

the best way to share your file on this list is to put the file online and provide a url. to report the method you used to save the file, you might mention whether or not you saw the "Export Dialog". the gimp does not make changes to a file without telling you it is going to do this. perhaps this warning seems cryptic, however, you probably agreed to the layers merging.

also, confirmation that you are reading the help mentioned here is just good procedure no matter who you are asking help from.

right now, i am guessing that gimp did exactly what you told it to and you are not reading the help being offered via this list. feel free to correct this guess with a few facts.

carol

Alan Horkan
2005-01-16 00:57:38 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Layers merging on exit

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, Sven Neumann wrote:

Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:32:43 +0100 From: Sven Neumann
To: Alan Horkan
Cc: Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Layers merging on exit

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

I knew it wasn't included by default (which is why I said if you have it) but I thought there was a plug-in available but if you say there isn't ...

- Alan

Sven Neumann
2005-01-16 01:53:51 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Layers merging on exit

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

I knew it wasn't included by default (which is why I said if you have it) but I thought there was a plug-in available but if you say there isn't ...

The plug-in is included by default but it can only save MNG and doesn't have any code to load the files again. If you are creating MNG animations with GIMP, you always need to keep a copy in XCF format.

Sven

Ben Christy
2005-01-24 07:17:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Sven Neumann gimp.org> writes:

The plug-in is included by default but it can only save MNG and doesn't have any code to load the files again. If you are creating MNG animations with GIMP, you always need to keep a copy in XCF format.

Sven

If there is a write plug-in then how hard is it to make a read plug-in? Is it a copyright conflict?

The source should be available if the plug-in is included with distribution and all that; logic says all that needs to be done is change outputs to inputs (of course that would assume that logic applies here)

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-01-25 12:27:17 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Monday 24 January 2005 04:17, Ben Christy wrote:

Sven Neumann gimp.org> writes:

Sven

If there is a write plug-in then how hard is it to make a read plug-in? Is it a copyright conflict?

The source should be available if the plug-in is included with distribution and all that; logic says all that needs to be done is change outputs to inputs (of course that would assume that logic applies here)

Uhhh...actually it is a bit more complicated than that. MNG is a complex standard. Inside a MNG file there may lie PNG or JPEG image data, the differences from one frame to another may be 'differential' -i.e. only the data of the parts that had changed is stored, or a replacement of the previous image for a new image.

The writing plug-in actually performs a rather naive MNG save, saving just a frame sequence (like an anim. GIF). The result is a valid MNG, but the plug-in only deals with a subset of the standard, and reading mng's recorded by other programs would require full suport for the specification.

That of course is desirable, and a 'non naive' mng saving would be great. But AFAIK there is no one working oin that in the moment.

Regards, JS
->

Sven Neumann
2005-01-25 22:42:18 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris" writes:

The writing plug-in actually performs a rather naive MNG save, saving just a frame sequence (like an anim. GIF). The result is a valid MNG, but the plug-in only deals with a subset of the standard, and reading mng's recorded by other programs would require full suport for the specification.

Well, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to read the set of MNG features that the MNG plug-in can save. Read support in libmng is actually a lot better than support for creating MNG files.

That of course is desirable, and a 'non naive' mng saving would be great. But AFAIK there is no one working oin that in the moment.

That's right, I am not aware of anyone working on it.

Sven