RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to make an area of an image "blurry" or "erased"...?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to make an area of an image "blurry" or "erased"...? rhimbo 02 Apr 22:57
  How to make an area of an image "blurry" or "erased"...? rich2005 03 Apr 09:17
2017-04-02 22:57:45 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Hi folks,

Graphics newbie here...

I would like to make part of an image blurry or unreadable. I have photos of an automobile and I would like to blur the license plate prior to posting online.

I wasn't sure of the proper terminology so my searches didn't yield anything obvious to me.

Can I create a layer first? Then do I make a rectangular selection and do something to that selection?

Any guidance is welcome...!

Many thanks in advance.....

rich2005
2017-04-03 09:17:03 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Hi folks,

Graphics newbie here...

I would like to make part of an image blurry or unreadable. I have photos of an automobile and I would like to blur the license plate prior to posting online.

I wasn't sure of the proper terminology so my searches didn't yield anything obvious to me.

Can I create a layer first? Then do I make a rectangular selection and do something to that selection?

Any guidance is welcome...!

Many thanks in advance.....

The main thing is work with copies so that the original images are not damaged.

Going onto the web - so jpeg or png format. Then why use layers?

examples: http://i.imgur.com/Uxrlg0Q.jpg

All sorts of ways, quickest is use the smudge tool and a suitable size brush (1)

Want it tidier? A couple of suggestions. Make a selection and blur; Filters -> Blur -> Gaussian blur (2)

or

Make a selection and pixelise Filters -> Blur -> Pixelise (3)

rich: www.gimp-forum.net