RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Ufraw Install on Mac?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Ufraw Install on Mac? Chuanist 30 Mar 05:23
  Ufraw Install on Mac? Pat David 30 Mar 19:36
   Ufraw Install on Mac? Chuanist 30 Mar 19:57
    Ufraw Install on Mac? Maurizio Loreti 01 Apr 09:46
     Ufraw Install on Mac? Partha Bagchi 01 Apr 11:44
2017-03-30 05:23:34 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Ufraw Install on Mac?

Dear GIMP-ers—

I am running GIMP 2.8.20 on a Mac with Mavericks (Mac OS 10.9.5).

The previous version, 2.4, automatically included Ufraw and would open the .RW2 files from my Panasonic Lumix camera. (I was really impressed that it did.)

I now must install Ufraw for the newest GIMP, but for my life I cannot discover how to do it. I have downloaded Ufraw .22, unzipped it, and there it sits in its folder. It seems that all of the components are present, but when I put it in either plug-in's or modules folders, at the root level of GIMP or in the 2.8 folder, the program does not open .RW2 files.

Is there a set of instructions for installing Ufraw? I see several references to MacPorts and the command line, but have to say they don't give me the info needed to make Ufraw work.

Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Glen

Pat David
2017-03-30 19:36:33 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Ufraw Install on Mac?

It may be easier (or make more sense) to use one of the newer raw processing softwares available? They are a little more actively developed and will likely support newer cameras better. There's:

darktable: https://www.darktable.org RawTherapee: http://www.rawtherapee.com

Each of these will let you develop your raw files, and then export them for further modification in GIMP if desired!

pat

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 1:26 PM Chuanist wrote:

Dear GIMP-ers—

I am running GIMP 2.8.20 on a Mac with Mavericks (Mac OS 10.9.5).

The previous version, 2.4, automatically included Ufraw and would open the .RW2
files from my Panasonic Lumix camera. (I was really impressed that it did.)

I now must install Ufraw for the newest GIMP, but for my life I cannot discover
how to do it. I have downloaded Ufraw .22, unzipped it, and there it sits in its
folder. It seems that all of the components are present, but when I put it in
either plug-in's or modules folders, at the root level of GIMP or in the 2.8
folder, the program does not open .RW2 files.

Is there a set of instructions for installing Ufraw? I see several references to
MacPorts and the command line, but have to say they don't give me the info needed to make Ufraw work.

Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Glen

-- Chuanist (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC
2017-03-30 19:57:04 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Ufraw Install on Mac?

Pat—

thanks for the suggestion. It makes me think that, indeed, Ufraw is a hard nut to crack. It's kind of too bad, because the bundled and installed Ufraw in the previous version of GIMP was very seamless and convenient to use.

I will look at the alternatives you suggested.

Regards,

Glen

It may be easier (or make more sense) to use one of the newer raw processing softwares available?

pat

Maurizio Loreti
2017-04-01 09:46:01 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Ufraw Install on Mac?

On 30 Mar 2017, at 21:57, Chuanist wrote:

Pat—

thanks for the suggestion. It makes me think that, indeed, Ufraw is a hard nut to crack. It's kind of too bad, because the bundled and installed Ufraw in the previous version of GIMP was very seamless and convenient to use.

Hello -
I am a satisfied Mac user and an avid photographer; I use for the post-production of my pictures GIMP, namely the distribution (released by Simone Karin Lehmann) "GIMP on OS X", available under the URL http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimponosx . This distribution comes with a pre-compiled gimp-ufraw plugin; loading a RAW picture in GIMP is handled in this way. However "GIMP on OS X" lacks a standalone ufraw and ufraw-batch. Needing for my RAW pictures ufraw-batch, I compiled ufraw and ufraw-batch from the source code; however this is not completely described in the ufraw documentation. Here is what I did.

For the compiler, you need to install Xcode (from the Apple Store, free) and the Xcode command line tools; how to do that is described in a lot of places, Google will help.

For the libraries, I have installed the ones supplied by the Macports projects:

+--------------+--------------+---------+ | | Package | Version | +--------------+--------------+---------+ | LCMS | lcms2 | 2.8 | | EXIV2 | exiv2 | 0.25 | | JPEG | jpeg | 9b | | JPEG2000 | openjpeg | 2.1.2 | | TIFF | tiff | 4.0.7 | | PNG | libpng | 1.6.28 | | ZIP | zip | 3.00 | | BZIP2 | bzip2 | 1.0.6 | | LENSFUN | lensfun | 0.3.2 | | CFITSIO | cfitsio | 3.390 | | GTKIMAGEVIEW | gtkimageview | 1.6.4 | +--------------+--------------+---------+

How to install them is described in the Macports home page, http://www.macports.org .

The Macports libraries are compiled with clang and clang++ as C and C++ compilers; while clang and gcc are fully compatible, and their object files linkable together, clang++ and g++ use different name mangling schemes; so, if you want e.g. exiv2 support (exiv2 is a C++ package) you need to change the default compilers. So, finally, I unpacked, configured, compiled and installed ufraw/ufraw-batch with the following commands:

tar xzf ufraw-0.22.tar.gz cd ufraw-0.22/
CC=clang CXX=clang++ CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include \ LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib \
./configure --prefix=/opt/local/share/ufraw-0.22 make
sudo make install
sudo ln -s /opt/local/share/ufraw-0.22 /opt/local/share/ufraw ln -s /opt/local/share/ufraw/bin/ufraw ~/Applications/ufraw ln -s /opt/local/share/ufraw/bin/ufraw-batch ~/Applications/ufraw-batch ln -s /opt/local/share/ufraw/share/man/man1/ufraw.1 ~/man/man1/ufraw.1

Notes: - Macports include files are in /opt/local/include . - Macports libraries are in /opt/local/lib . - I installed ufraw in /opt/local/share/ufraw-0.22 , a directory soft-linked to /opt/local/share/ufraw ; when a new release will come, say 0.xy, it will be enough to install it in /opt/local/share/ufraw-0.xy and, then, change the soft link. - The executables ufraw and ufraw-batch are soft-linked to ~/Applications, where OS X expects to find user executables. - I have created ~/man/... for personal man files, and linked there ufraw.1, in order to have the output of "man ufraw".

HTH

Maurizio Loreti  --  Maurizio.Loreti@gmail.com
Partha Bagchi
2017-04-01 11:44:21 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Ufraw Install on Mac?

On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 5:46 AM, Maurizio Loreti wrote:

On 30 Mar 2017, at 21:57, Chuanist wrote:

Pat—

thanks for the suggestion. It makes me think that, indeed, Ufraw is a

hard nut

to crack. It's kind of too bad, because the bundled and installed Ufraw

in the

previous version of GIMP was very seamless and convenient to use.

Hello -
I am a satisfied Mac user and an avid photographer; I use for the post-production of my pictures GIMP, namely the distribution (released by Simone Karin Lehmann) "GIMP on OS X", available under the URL http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimponosx . This distribution comes with a pre-compiled gimp-ufraw plugin; loading a RAW picture in GIMP is handled in this way. However "GIMP on OS X" lacks a standalone ufraw and ufraw-batch. Needing for my RAW pictures ufraw-batch, I compiled ufraw and ufraw-batch from the source code; however this is not completely described in the ufraw documentation. Here is what I did.

For the compiler, you need to install Xcode (from the Apple Store, free) and the Xcode command line tools; how to do that is described in a lot of places, Google will help.

For the libraries, I have installed the ones supplied by the Macports projects:

+--------------+--------------+---------+ | | Package | Version | +--------------+--------------+---------+ | LCMS | lcms2 | 2.8 | | EXIV2 | exiv2 | 0.25 | | JPEG | jpeg | 9b | | JPEG2000 | openjpeg | 2.1.2 | | TIFF | tiff | 4.0.7 | | PNG | libpng | 1.6.28 | | ZIP | zip | 3.00 | | BZIP2 | bzip2 | 1.0.6 | | LENSFUN | lensfun | 0.3.2 | | CFITSIO | cfitsio | 3.390 | | GTKIMAGEVIEW | gtkimageview | 1.6.4 | +--------------+--------------+---------+

How to install them is described in the Macports home page, http://www.macports.org .

The Macports libraries are compiled with clang and clang++ as C and C++ compilers; while clang and gcc are fully compatible, and their object files linkable together, clang++ and g++ use different name mangling schemes; so, if you want e.g. exiv2 support (exiv2 is a C++ package) you need to change the default compilers. So, finally, I unpacked, configured, compiled and installed ufraw/ufraw-batch with the following commands:

tar xzf ufraw-0.22.tar.gz cd ufraw-0.22/
CC=clang CXX=clang++ CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include \ LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib \
./configure --prefix=/opt/local/share/ufraw-0.22 make
sudo make install
sudo ln -s /opt/local/share/ufraw-0.22 /opt/local/share/ufraw ln -s /opt/local/share/ufraw/bin/ufraw ~/Applications/ufraw ln -s /opt/local/share/ufraw/bin/ufraw-batch ~/Applications/ufraw-batch ln -s /opt/local/share/ufraw/share/man/man1/ufraw.1 ~/man/man1/ufraw.1

Notes: - Macports include files are in /opt/local/include . - Macports libraries are in /opt/local/lib . - I installed ufraw in /opt/local/share/ufraw-0.22 , a directory soft-linked to /opt/local/share/ufraw ; when a new release will come, say 0.xy, it will be enough to install it in /opt/local/share/ufraw-0.xy and, then, change the soft link. - The executables ufraw and ufraw-batch are soft-linked to ~/Applications, where OS X expects to find user executables. - I have created ~/man/... for personal man files, and linked there ufraw.1, in order to have the output of "man ufraw".

HTH

-- Maurizio Loreti -- Maurizio.Loreti@gmail.com

Or install my Mac builds McGimp which comes with a pre-compiled NUFRaw

which is the continuation of the UFRaw development. My build also comes with G'MIC.

I don't think UFRaw is being maintained now. NUFRaw is currently at version 0.38.

I'd also recommend preprocessing with RawTherapee which I am also providing either from my website or RT discussion site hosted by Pat.