RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Graphire3 flakiness in gimp (1.2.5 and 2.0.4)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Graphire3 flakiness in gimp (1.2.5 and 2.0.4) Mark D. Montgomery II 11 Jan 00:45
  Graphire3 flakiness in gimp (1.2.5 and 2.0.4) Carol Spears 11 Jan 02:29
   Graphire3 flakiness in gimp (1.2.5 and 2.0.4) Mark D. Montgomery II 11 Jan 04:06
    Graphire3 flakiness in gimp (1.2.5 and 2.0.4) Carol Spears 11 Jan 05:19
     Graphire3 flakiness in gimp (1.2.5 and 2.0.4) Mark D. Montgomery II 13 Jan 03:27
      Graphire3 flakiness in gimp (1.2.5 and 2.0.4) Manish Singh 13 Jan 10:43
       Graphire3 flakiness in gimp (1.2.5 and 2.0.4) Mark D. Montgomery II 13 Jan 14:12
     Graphire3 flakiness in gimp (1.2.5 and 2.0.4) Vassilis Chryssos 25 Feb 23:06
      Graphire3 flakiness in gimp (1.2.5 and 2.0.4) Carol Spears 26 Feb 06:34
Mark D. Montgomery II
2005-01-11 00:45:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I just got a new Graphire3 tablet (yay!) and have been trying to get it to work properly in gimp.
It works fine in X normally.
And works fine in Windows and in Photoshop Elements in Windows.

However, in gimp under linux (I haven't tried in gimp for win), it does some odd things.

First, after switching to the pen, it will seemingly lock the input device. The pen will only work within the drawing window (except for movement, it will move wherever).
When it does this, my normal mouse cannot do anything other than move the cursor around.
After much running around with the cursor in and out of the drawing window, the input is eventually released back to the system and I can switch devices (other end of pen - which will end up with same results, or my normal mouse - which will work normally, I don't use the mouse from the tablet.) or use the current end of pen as a normally (until I start drawing with it again anyhow).

Second, after drawing with the pen for a short time, gimp starts reading the motion of the pen when not actually on the tablet as tool input. Basically, where I should be able to lift the pen off the tablet and use it at just a cursor to move or whatever, gimp continues to draw with it as if I was using very light pressure until the pen is out of the tablet's reading range (about 1/2 inch). Needless to say, this is rather annoying.

I'm using gimp 1.2.5 and 2.0.4 on gentoo with kernel 2.6.10-gentoo-r4, xorg-x11 6.8.0-r3, and linuxwacom 0.6.6 (including the wacom X driver).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks.

Mark II

Carol Spears
2005-01-11 02:29:03 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 06:45:16PM -0500, Mark D. Montgomery II wrote:

I'm using gimp 1.2.5 and 2.0.4 on gentoo with kernel 2.6.10-gentoo-r4, xorg-x11 6.8.0-r3, and linuxwacom 0.6.6 (including the wacom X driver).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i suggest using gimp2. the fact that gimp-1.2.5 is working on your system is impressive; however the release of gimp-1.2 dates back to the year 2000 and since that time, so many many things have changed.

carol

Mark D. Montgomery II
2005-01-11 04:06:33 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 17:29 -0800, Carol Spears wrote:

i suggest using gimp2. the fact that gimp-1.2.5 is working on your system is impressive; however the release of gimp-1.2 dates back to the year 2000 and since that time, so many many things have changed.

carol

I updated from gimp 2.0.4 to 2.0.6 but it didn't make a difference.

Mark II

Carol Spears
2005-01-11 05:19:56 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 10:06:33PM -0500, Mark D. Montgomery II wrote:

i think we are having some problems because i dont really understand how gentoo works.

especially with things as complicated as a tablet, it is best to try the version that is considered stable by the developers who are working on it. the stable version right now is gimp-2.2.2 http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ this unannounced release happened only yesterday so i dont think that the different distributions will have the change yet, but gimp-2.2 has been out for some time now.

with that said, my distribution, debian testing, only has gimp-2.0 available so i am not sure what i should expect from gentoo.

perhaps if you detail what it was that you did, the X configuration and anything else that you did to get your tablet working, someone will spot the problem and tell you about it and/or we can figure out if it is a gimp problem or some problem in the complicated chain of software that connects gimp to the tablet.

gimp-2.0 seems really old to me by now.

sorry for the lack of understanding of your distribution on my part and if all this work does not lead to getting your tablet working. on the other hand, many people do have their tablets working with that gimp you have and with the current stable gimp, so perhaps the best approach for you right now is to provide more information.

carol

Mark D. Montgomery II
2005-01-13 03:27:25 UTC (over 19 years ago)

i think we are having some problems because i dont really understand how gentoo works.

hehe.
Basically, it uses a package tree system (similar to debian I believe). When you tell it to install a package, it downloads the source and specified patches from the gentoo archives and compiles the program. When the maintainers for the specified package in the tree (for instance gimp), deem a package to be properly stable on gentoo, they set it stable.
Packages that are not quite deemed stable are masked, but you can easily tell the system to try to install it anyway. This is what I did to go from 2.0.4 to 2.0.6. A package that is in the tree, but not deemed stable enough to even try to install (probably very new or has not been tested yet or depends on something funny) will be hard masked (set to masked in a file). To install these you need to unmask the package in the mask file and then tell it to install. Gimp 2.2.0 is currently hard masked.

As I dug around (and tried compiling gimp2 from the stock source), I discovered that gimp 2.2.x require freetype 2.1.7 or greater. The current stable version in gentoo is 2.1.5-r1. 2.1.7 is not in portage.
2.1.9 is masked in portage because of problems with it and Mozilla and Firefox being compiled with older versions. To install 2.1.9, you must first uninstall Mozilla and Firefox. For me, however, they would not recompile afterwards (I'll have to try again later and see if it was just a fluke).

So the current state of gimp 2.2.x on gentoo seems to depend on the freetype/Mozilla issue.

If you can get freetype to upgrade and Mozilla/Firefox to recompile afterwards (don't want to lose those obviously), you could then try to install gimp 2.2.x and see what happens.

sorry for the lack of understanding of your distribution on my part and if all this work does not lead to getting your tablet working. on the other hand, many people do have their tablets working with that gimp you have and with the current stable gimp, so perhaps the best approach for you right now is to provide more information.

Yeah. And I believe several people in gentoo (there are posts about the graphires in the gentoo forums) are using them successfully. So the problem seems to be something with gimp on my silly computer. :)

carol

Mark II

Manish Singh
2005-01-13 10:43:29 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 09:27:25PM -0500, Mark D. Montgomery II wrote:

hehe.
Basically, it uses a package tree system (similar to debian I believe). When you tell it to install a package, it downloads the source and specified patches from the gentoo archives and compiles the program. When the maintainers for the specified package in the tree (for instance gimp), deem a package to be properly stable on gentoo, they set it stable.
Packages that are not quite deemed stable are masked, but you can easily tell the system to try to install it anyway. This is what I did to go from 2.0.4 to 2.0.6. A package that is in the tree, but not deemed stable enough to even try to install (probably very new or has not been tested yet or depends on something funny) will be hard masked (set to masked in a file). To install these you need to unmask the package in the mask file and then tell it to install.

This seems rather arbitrary. Why is 2.0.4 considered more stable than 2.0.6? 2.0.6 is purely minor bugfixes over 2.0.4, so if anything, 2.0.6 should be considered more stable than 2.0.4. So this doesn't make any sense.

Gimp 2.2.0 is currently hard masked.

As I dug around (and tried compiling gimp2 from the stock source), I discovered that gimp 2.2.x require freetype 2.1.7 or greater. The current stable version in gentoo is 2.1.5-r1. 2.1.7 is not in portage.
2.1.9 is masked in portage because of problems with it and Mozilla and Firefox being compiled with older versions. To install 2.1.9, you must first uninstall Mozilla and Firefox. For me, however, they would not recompile afterwards (I'll have to try again later and see if it was just a fluke).

So the current state of gimp 2.2.x on gentoo seems to depend on the freetype/Mozilla issue.

Except there isn't an issue with freetype 2.1.9 and mozilla. Other distros are working happily with this combination. Again, this doesn't make any sense.

This didn't really clear anything up. It just looks like a bunch of arbritrary rules not grounded in reality.

-Yosh

Mark D. Montgomery II
2005-01-13 14:12:32 UTC (over 19 years ago)

This seems rather arbitrary. Why is 2.0.4 considered more stable than 2.0.6? 2.0.6 is purely minor bugfixes over 2.0.4, so if anything, 2.0.6 should be considered more stable than 2.0.4. So this doesn't make any sense.

hehe.
No idea.
I feel the same way sometimes. :)

Gimp 2.2.0 is currently hard masked.

Except there isn't an issue with freetype 2.1.9 and mozilla. Other distros are working happily with this combination. Again, this doesn't make any sense.

This didn't really clear anything up. It just looks like a bunch of arbritrary rules not grounded in reality.

:)
Who knows.
Ask the developers. :)
Well, I found postings in the forum about how to go about the upgrade and not break stuff (there's a slightly newer version of firefox in portage that doesn't have whatever issue the last one did),

So I'm now happily running gimp 2.2.0 (2.2.2 isn't in portage yet). Unfortunately, it didn't fix my problem. :(

-Yosh

Mark II

Vassilis Chryssos
2005-02-25 23:06:20 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On ???, 2005-01-10 at 20:19 -0800, Carol Spears wrote:

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 10:06:33PM -0500, Mark D. Montgomery II wrote:

especially with things as complicated as a tablet, it is best to try the version that is considered stable by the developers who are working on it. the stable version right now is gimp-2.2.2 http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ this unannounced release happened only yesterday so i dont think that the different distributions will have the change yet, but gimp-2.2 has been out for some time now.

with that said, my distribution, debian testing, only has gimp-2.0 available so i am not sure what i should expect from gentoo.

hallo carol.. I just got graphire3 and I've been trying to make it work on my debianbox, but it doesn't seem to work out. My system seems to recognise the device, but the only thing i can do with the wacom mouse or the stylus is to move the cursor up/down on the leftmost part of the screen.
I noticed that you also run debian testing. Is there a chance that you could send me your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file to have a look? (I'm not sure actually if the problem lies in the configuration of that file, but it is the only thing that I can thing of).

thanx a lot in advance..

perhaps if you detail what it was that you did, the X configuration and anything else that you did to get your tablet working, someone will spot the problem and tell you about it and/or we can figure out if it is a gimp problem or some problem in the complicated chain of software that connects gimp to the tablet.

gimp-2.0 seems really old to me by now.

carol

Carol Spears
2005-02-26 06:34:04 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 12:06:20AM +0200, Vassilis Chryssos wrote:

hallo carol.. I just got graphire3 and I've been trying to make it work on my debianbox, but it doesn't seem to work out. My system seems to recognise the device, but the only thing i can do with the wacom mouse or the stylus is to move the cursor up/down on the leftmost part of the screen.
I noticed that you also run debian testing. Is there a chance that you could send me your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file to have a look? (I'm not sure actually if the problem lies in the configuration of that file, but it is the only thing that I can thing of).

thanx a lot in advance..

i put a report of the whole tablet experience here: http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/basics/gui/preferences/inputdevices.html and the chunk of the configuration file that is relevant is here: http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/basics/gui/preferences/XF86Config-4-tablet

i call it a report since i still have no clue about it and the worst thing is that the tablet draws as well as i do, which is not that good.

good luck, carol