RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

New User Q - Insert Image X as Layer; then Move Outside Image X Original Border

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2017-03-23 02:18:29 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

I inserted an image into GIMP as a layer.

Now it has this dotted line around it to indicate where the borders of the original image is.

If I move the shape (the blue UNEWS logo) outside of this dotted line, it is cut off from the dotted line (see below).

How can I move the image around without having this happen?

Thanks so much - I feel like an idiot but need to get this done quickly, and cannot find anything via Google etc.

2017-03-23 02:20:19 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Correction: Obviously, the images aren't below but to the right. First time on this forum.

rich2005
2017-03-23 09:05:31 UTC (about 7 years ago)

I inserted an image into GIMP as a layer.

Now it has this dotted line around it to indicate where the borders of the original image is.

If I move the shape (the blue UNEWS logo) outside of this dotted line, it is cut off from the dotted line (see below).

How can I move the image around without having this happen?

Thanks so much - I feel like an idiot but need to get this done quickly, and cannot find anything via Google etc.

The problem is the method. Probably used to using some other application, but full marks for using a Gimp xcf and layers. A bit of a guess without the actual xcf file.

Several ways to do this but it is worthwhile demonstrating why the cut-off.

1. This is your image reproduced. The yellow dotted line is the **layer** boundary. Anything inside the boundary is visible. screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/TXk4squ.jpg

2. It looks like you tried a cut-and-paste then move the pasted section. Moving outside the layer boundary cuts it off. http://i.imgur.com/XgKW8jU.jpg look at the layers dialog. Do you have a 'floating' layer?

3. What you need to do is just move the layer. You need to use the **move** tool and click on a solid part of the layer, otherwise the move tool seeks the next solid part, otherwise just enable **move the active layer**. http://i.imgur.com/BWvMSII.jpg Click in the canvas and drag.

4. Alternative.

There can be good reasons for keeping the small layer size but if you want to use cut-and-paste, resize the layer to canvas size first.

Layer menu -> Layer to Boundary size.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

rich2005
2017-03-23 09:09:50 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Ahh....typo...hate this mailing list format

Layer menu -> Layer to Boundary size.

Should be Layer menu -> Layer to Image Size

rich: www.gimp-forum.net