RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

selection coordination

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

selection coordination Gert Cuykens 23 Dec 14:38
selection coordination William Skaggs 23 Dec 19:37
  selection coordination GSR - FR 23 Dec 21:17
   selection coordination Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 23 Dec 22:38
    selection coordination Gert Cuykens 23 Dec 23:40
     selection coordination Sven Neumann 24 Dec 00:45
      selection coordination Gert Cuykens 24 Dec 01:13
       selection coordination Gert Cuykens 24 Dec 01:28
     selection coordination GSR - FR 24 Dec 01:18
      selection coordination Gert Cuykens 24 Dec 01:34
Gert Cuykens
2004-12-23 14:38:17 UTC (over 19 years ago)

selection coordination

is there somewhere a tool where you can type something like select from 101*102 to 356*456

William Skaggs
2004-12-23 19:37:07 UTC (over 19 years ago)

selection coordination

Gert Cuykens wrote:

is there somewhere a tool where you can type something like select from 101*102 to 356*456

Well, you can open a script-fu console and use the "gimp-rect-select" command (ugh). But no, there is no reasonable way to do it right now.

Over the past few days I've coded up a new interface for the rect select tool, modeled after the crop tool interface but with a few changes to remove some of the annoyances. After GIMP 2.3 branches off I'll put it into CVS (initally as a new tool, so as not to mess with the existing one), and if the user interface can be worked out to everybody's satisfaction, maybe it will show up in GIMP 2.4. But I'm afraid that's the whole story right now.

(It would be very simple to write a script-fu to do this, though -- it would just be a wrapper around gimp-rect-select.)

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

GSR - FR
2004-12-23 21:17:17 UTC (over 19 years ago)

selection coordination

weskaggs@primate.ucdavis.edu (2004-12-23 at 1037.07 -0800):

Well, you can open a script-fu console and use the "gimp-rect-select" command (ugh). But no, there is no reasonable way to do it right now.

Not fast, but easier than scripting, use four guides, selection tool will snap to them.

GSR

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-12-23 22:38:52 UTC (over 19 years ago)

selection coordination

On Thursday 23 December 2004 18:17, GSR - FR wrote:

weskaggs@primate.ucdavis.edu (2004-12-23 at 1037.07 -0800):

Not fast, but easier than scripting, use four guides, selection tool will snap to them.

"Easier than scripting"is relative here - if you gonna use it once or twice, - because once the script is ready, the feature is there for your personnal use.
With a script for rect select, you would just type the four coords in four entries.

So Gert - if you want it - just post to the list "can someone provide me a script-fu were I can enter 4 coordinates and have a rectangular selection using these coordinates? "

And people will provide you one.

GSR

Regards,
JS
->

Gert Cuykens
2004-12-23 23:40:23 UTC (over 19 years ago)

selection coordination

So Gert - if you want it - just post to the list "can someone provide me a script-fu were I can enter 4 coordinates and have a rectangular selection using these coordinates? "

And people will provide you one.

ok :)

The reason why i want it is because if you slice something in two like a circle and you want to stretch the middle you have to select in the exact middle of the circle a 1 px slice and scale it. Selecting a 1 px slice is a pain in the butt without coordinates even with guides

Sven Neumann
2004-12-24 00:45:30 UTC (over 19 years ago)

selection coordination

Hi,

Gert Cuykens writes:

The reason why i want it is because if you slice something in two like a circle and you want to stretch the middle you have to select in the exact middle of the circle a 1 px slice and scale it. Selecting a 1 px slice is a pain in the butt without coordinates even with guides

The rect-select tool allows you to specify a fixed size. You just need to position the selection manually. But since you can move a selection and position it using the cursor keys (while pressing Alt), that shouldn't be a problem.

Sven

Gert Cuykens
2004-12-24 01:13:54 UTC (over 19 years ago)

selection coordination

The rect-select tool allows you to specify a fixed size. You just need to position the selection manually. But since you can move a selection and position it using the cursor keys (while pressing Alt), that shouldn't be a problem.

Sven

alleluia praise the lord it is a miracle the selection thing moves :) if only i know that magic trick sooner doh! Mister gimp developer can i ask a other gimp question ? Is there also a trick to make the selection width and height with the cursor keys. I was thinking maybe + but it did not went widther or higher :(

One last question who do i ask to change the little binocular in top right corner above the scroll bar into a making your mouse scroll zoom in and out instead of window zoom ? So i can zoom in and out when i scroll with the mouse ?

GSR - FR
2004-12-24 01:18:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

selection coordination

gert.cuykens@gmail.com (2004-12-23 at 2340.23 +0100):

Tried with fixed size in tool options and repositioning the selection until happy? You will have to make the other dimension bigger than the circle (I assume separate layer for the circle, selection will shrink to opaque area).

Do you have dimensions already calculated or something? Otherwise I still fail to see how guessing three numbers is better than zooming and visually placing a fixed selection alone or with help of a guide (one of the two I would use for the center of the circle, ie) or a manual one with two parallel guides. Well, I dunno your workflow, I managed to do a stretched circle quickly without coords. And maybe what you really need is a chop and bridge script. ;]

GSR

Gert Cuykens
2004-12-24 01:28:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

selection coordination

Sven

alleluia praise the lord it is a miracle the selection thing moves :) if only i know that magic trick sooner doh! Mister gimp developer can i ask a other gimp question ? Is there also a trick to make the selection width and height with the cursor keys. I was thinking maybe + but it did not went widther or higher :(

One last question who do i ask to change the little binocular in top right corner above the scroll bar into a making your mouse scroll zoom in and out instead of window zoom ? So i can zoom in and out when i scroll with the mouse ?

it would also be very cool if in scroll mouse zoom mode the middle mouse button would center the image where your mouse is pointing :)

Gert Cuykens
2004-12-24 01:34:33 UTC (over 19 years ago)

selection coordination

Do you have dimensions already calculated or something? Otherwise I still fail to see how guessing three numbers is better than zooming and visually placing a fixed selection alone or with help of a guide (one of the two I would use for the center of the circle, ie) or a manual one with two parallel guides. Well, I dunno your workflow, I managed to do a stretched circle quickly without coords. And maybe what you really need is a chop and bridge script. ;]

GSR

ok ok you win what about a auto guide installer into middle of selection vertical or horizontal script :)