RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Need help installing the help files

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Need help installing the help files Jozsef Mak 22 Dec 03:38
  Need help installing the help files Owen Cook 22 Dec 04:27
   Need help installing the help files Jozsef Mak 22 Dec 05:25
    Need help installing the help files Owen Cook 22 Dec 06:00
     Need help installing the help files Jozsef Mak 22 Dec 06:57
      Need help installing the help files Owen Cook 22 Dec 08:00
  Need help installing the help files Sven Neumann 22 Dec 12:09
   Need help installing the help files Jozsef Mak 22 Dec 19:14
Jozsef Mak
2004-12-22 03:38:43 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

I tried to install the help package on my system and i got the following message after running configure.

checking for gimp-2.0... Package gimp-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gimp-2.0.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package 'gimp-2.0' found
configure: error:
** Couldn't find a GIMP-2.0 installation. If you want to skip this check and ** install the help files to the configured prefix, use the --without-gimp ** configure option. Note that GIMP will then only find the help files if it ** is installed in the same prefix. See the file 'INSTALL' for more help. root@ubuntu:/home/mak/programs/gimp-help-2-0.6 #

I am not sure how to proceed.

jozsefmak

Owen Cook
2004-12-22 04:27:32 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Jozsef Mak wrote:

I tried to install the help package on my system and i got the following message after running configure.

checking for gimp-2.0... Package gimp-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gimp-2.0.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package 'gimp-2.0' found
** Couldn't find a GIMP-2.0 installation. If you want to skip this check and ** install the help files to the configured prefix, use the --without-gimp ** configure option. Note that GIMP will then only find the help files if it ** is installed in the same prefix. See the file 'INSTALL' for more help. root@ubuntu:/home/mak/programs/gimp-help-2-0.6 #

First of all you have to find your gimp-2.0.pc file Standard locations may be for example;

/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc /opt/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc

Once you found it, then export your PKG_CONFIG_PATH

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/ (correct path)

Now check it

pkg-config --modversion gimp-2.0

Then try installing your help

Owen

Jozsef Mak
2004-12-22 05:25:51 UTC (over 19 years ago)

To: Jozsef Mak
CC: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Need help installing the help files Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:27:32 +1100 (EST)

checking for gimp-2.0... Package gimp-2.0 was not found in the

pkg-config

search path.
** Couldn't find a GIMP-2.0 installation. If you want to skip this check

and

** install the help files to the configured prefix, use the

--without-gimp

** configure option. Note that GIMP will then only find the help files

if it

** is installed in the same prefix. See the file 'INSTALL' for more

help.

root@ubuntu:/home/mak/programs/gimp-help-2-0.6 #

First of all you have to find your gimp-2.0.pc file Standard locations may be for example;

/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc /opt/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc

Once you found it, then export your PKG_CONFIG_PATH

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/ (correct path)

Now check it

pkg-config --modversion gimp-2.0

Then try installing your help

Hi Owen,

Thanks for the quick reply. On my system the the path is /usr/lib/pkgconfig; but in the pkgconfig directory there is no
gimp-2.0.pc file anywhere.

So what should is do next?

jozsefmak

Owen Cook
2004-12-22 06:00:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On my system the the path is /usr/lib/pkgconfig; but in the pkgconfig directory there is no

Well what is in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig ?

If it is there, add that to your PKG_CONFIG path

Owen

Jozsef Mak
2004-12-22 06:57:37 UTC (over 19 years ago)

To: Jozsef Mak
CC: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Need help installing the help files Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:00:16 +1100 (EST)

On my system the the path is /usr/lib/pkgconfig; but in the pkgconfig directory there is no

Well what is in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig ?

If it is there, add that to your PKG_CONFIG path

On my system there is no /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig directory; only /usr/lib/pkgconfig; but as I said, there is no gimp-2.0.pc file in that directory.

Owen Cook
2004-12-22 08:00:47 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Jozsef Mak wrote:

On my system there is no /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig directory; only /usr/lib/pkgconfig; but as I said, there is no gimp-2.0.pc file in that directory.

Are you on Windows?

Owen

Sven Neumann
2004-12-22 12:09:12 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Jozsef Mak" writes:

You need to have the GIMP development package installed. The standard binary GIMP installation doesn't include the gimp-2.0.pc file. Alternatively, use a gimp-help package provided from the same source you got your gimp package from.

Sven

Jozsef Mak
2004-12-22 19:14:21 UTC (over 19 years ago)

To: "Jozsef Mak"
CC: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Need help installing the help files Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:09:12 +0100

You need to have the GIMP development package installed. The standard binary GIMP installation doesn't include the gimp-2.0.pc file.

Hi Sven,

Thanks a lot for the installation advice. Now, the help file installed without complain. I suggest mentioning this installation requirement in the Install file as well.

jozsefmak