RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp for Mac OS X won't open

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp for Mac OS X won't open Alexandra R. 18 Dec 20:05
  Gimp for Mac OS X won't open Sven Neumann 19 Dec 01:00
   Gimp for Mac OS X won't open Alexandra R. 19 Dec 14:51
    Gimp for Mac OS X won't open Sven Neumann 19 Dec 16:15
Alexandra R.
2004-12-18 20:05:49 UTC (over 19 years ago)

(Running GIMP 2.0.5 on Mac OS 10.3.7.)

It started when I recently encountered a small bug wherein scrolling through the font menu caused GIMP to crash. I learned via Bugzilla that the culprit was a corrupted font, deleted that font, and attempted to re-open GIMP.

It no longer opens.

I have tried restarting my computer, and even tried upgrading to 2.0.6 - nothing. The grey box appears in the middle of my desktop, on top of all other windows, but without the logo or text; X11 opens as well, but nothing happens beyond the grey box appearing.

Please note that I am not a programmer or developer and have extremely limited experience with unix and X11.

Alexandra

Sven Neumann
2004-12-19 01:00:08 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Alexandra R." writes:

It started when I recently encountered a small bug wherein scrolling through the font menu caused GIMP to crash. I learned via Bugzilla that the culprit was a corrupted font, deleted that font, and attempted to re-open GIMP.

It no longer opens.

Could you please try to start gimp from a terminal window? You might get output that could help to debug the problem.

Sven

Alexandra R.
2004-12-19 14:51:52 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Could you please try to start gimp from a terminal window? You might get output that could help to debug the problem.

"open gimp.app" got no output, which I understand is good news, and after about two minutes, the program actually opened. However, the font problem is back, even though GBwhateveritwasBitmap font has supposedly been deleted from my computer.

I did use search engines for "freetype" and "fontconfig" and, as I'm no programmer, couldn't understand how to update them, or even how to find out where/if they were on my computer. My programming ability is limited to "cd" and "ls" in Terminal, if that gives you any idea of what skill level you're dealing with.

Thanks for your time,

Alexandra

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 01:00:08 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

"Alexandra R." writes:

It no longer opens.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-12-19 16:15:18 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Alexandra R." writes:

"open gimp.app" got no output, which I understand is good news, and after about two minutes, the program actually opened. However, the font problem is back, even though GBwhateveritwasBitmap font has supposedly been deleted from my computer.

I did use search engines for "freetype" and "fontconfig" and, as I'm no programmer, couldn't understand how to update them, or even how to find out where/if they were on my computer. My programming ability is limited to "cd" and "ls" in Terminal, if that gives you any idea of what skill level you're dealing with.

All you can do then is to contact the author of the GIMP binary package that you are using and ask him/her to update the versions of freetype and fontconfig that are shipped with it.

Sven