RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

large tiff images

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

large tiff images <mcneil9@swbell.net> 16 Dec 17:26
large tiff images Michael Schumacher 16 Dec 17:40
large tiff images <mcneil9@swbell.net> 16 Dec 17:53
large tiff images Michael Schumacher 16 Dec 18:10
  large tiff images Mukund 17 Dec 10:44
large tiff images Michael Schumacher 17 Dec 11:24
  large tiff images Sven Neumann 17 Dec 13:24
<mcneil9@swbell.net>
2004-12-16 17:26:13 UTC (over 19 years ago)

large tiff images

GlacierHello,
I really need to find a program or API that will allow me to annotate or insert/ append a 2 to 3 inch blank space on tiff images that are 100,000 pixels in height. ............so far nothing handles these really large images................... any ideas.........?
thanks,
Byron McNeil

Michael Schumacher
2004-12-16 17:40:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

large tiff images

GlacierHello,
I really need to find a program or API that will allow me to annotate or insert/ append a 2 to 3 inch blank space on tiff images that are 100,000 pixels in height. ............so far nothing handles these really large images...................
any ideas.........?

Without telling us about the "so far", you will get many results from the "so far".

HTH,
Michael

<mcneil9@swbell.net>
2004-12-16 17:53:35 UTC (over 19 years ago)

large tiff images

I/ve tried (actually my programmer has) InforMatik software (informatik.com) and Pegasus software
.............they both have good image apps but can't handle the really large ones. over 100,000 pixels in
height..............................possibly engineering software would work?
thanks,
Byron McNeil

----- Original Message ---

Michael Schumacher
2004-12-16 18:10:34 UTC (over 19 years ago)

large tiff images

I/ve tried (actually my programmer has) InforMatik software (informatik.com)
and Pegasus software
.............they both have good image apps but can't handle the really large ones. over 100,000 pixels in

Try ImageMagick: http://www.imagemagick.org You will still need a decent system to handle such images.

HTH, Michael

Mukund
2004-12-17 10:44:37 UTC (over 19 years ago)

large tiff images

Michael,

Perhaps this sounds weird, but ImageMagick sucked at handling some *very large* Earth map images I threw at it. The GIMP was better.

Mukund

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 18:10 +0100, Michael Schumacher wrote:

I/ve tried (actually my programmer has) InforMatik software (informatik.com)
and Pegasus software

Try ImageMagick: http://www.imagemagick.org You will still need a decent system to handle such images.

HTH, Michael

Michael Schumacher
2004-12-17 11:24:08 UTC (over 19 years ago)

large tiff images

Michael,

Perhaps this sounds weird, but ImageMagick sucked at handling some *very large* Earth map images I threw at it. The GIMP was better.

I know, but the last time I mentioned that Imagemagick has problems, I was told that this is "hogwash" ;)

The GIMP seems to be one of the only apps that can handle large images, though. I remember someone who wanted to precess schematics of oil drill holes, and no other app seemed to handle them...

Michael

Sven Neumann
2004-12-17 13:24:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

large tiff images

Hi,

"Michael Schumacher" writes:

The GIMP seems to be one of the only apps that can handle large images, though. I remember someone who wanted to precess schematics of oil drill holes, and no other app seemed to handle them...

One of the things that should be kept in mind when working with very large images is that one should disable "layer and channel previews" in the preferences. Updating the previews can cause a major slowdown if the image doesn't fit into memory (or rather into the configured tile-cache).

I guess we could add some code that automatically disables previews for image (w/o undo steps) that don't fit int the tile-cache.

Sven