RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Print size problems

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Print size problems conniec 13 Jan 16:46
  Print size problems rich2005 13 Jan 18:18
   Print size problems conniec 14 Jan 01:27
  Print size problems Rick Strong 13 Jan 22:36
   Print size problems conniec 14 Jan 01:28
2017-01-13 16:46:25 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Print size problems

Hello, I am new to gimp and I appreciate any input and apologize in advance if I don't explain my issue correctly. I am trying to make a business card sized print that contains three separate images. I resize (with the print size option) the individual layers and separately they print out at the requested size. However, when i try to combine them as layers, there's one particular image that won't resize in the printed document, it always takes on the dimensions of the other two layers. If I rescale the images first then I don't have this problem. I don't know if I should rescale though. All I want to do is achieve the highest possibly quality for a small print, approximately 2.5 X 2 inches. Thanks!

rich2005
2017-01-13 18:18:13 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Print size problems

Hello, I am new to gimp and I appreciate any input and apologize in advance if I don't explain my issue correctly. I am trying to make a business card sized print that contains three separate images. I resize (with the print size option) the individual layers and separately they print out at the requested size. However, when i try to combine them as layers, there's one particular image that won't resize in the printed document, it always takes on the dimensions of the other two layers. If I rescale the images first then I don't have this problem. I don't know if I should rescale though. All I want to do is achieve the highest possibly quality for a small print, approximately 2.5 X 2 inches. Thanks!

Difficult to explain in a few words, but as a basic, Gimp works in pixels not inches (or other real world dimensions)

For a biz-card make a template - a base layer, w" x h" @ 300 pixels-per-inch. 2.5" x 2" would be 750 x 600 pixels.

Now open as layers each of the images you want to use. Gimp menu: File -> Open as Layers

Might look like attachment 1 where everything is wrong size, wrong place.

For each layer use Layer -> Scale layer and resize to suit. Then use the move tool to position.

Might look like attachment 2 The yellow dotted line is a layer boundary.

Now you can go into Image -> Print Size and if required set the print size to 2.5" x 2" and the resolution should follow suit to 300 dpi.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Rick Strong
2017-01-13 22:36:41 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Print size problems

"there's one particular image that won't resize in the printed document, it always takes on the dimensions of the other two layers. "

Try scaling just that layer using the Scale Tool.

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: conniec
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 11:46 AM conniec (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

2017-01-14 01:27:05 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Print size problems

Thank you so much Rich! I did step by step as you suggested and it worked perfectly. You rock!

2017-01-14 01:28:34 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Print size problems

Thank you Rick! I will keep that in mind also if I have the problem again. Thanks guys!