RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Need help removing/replacing a color

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Need help removing/replacing a color RunSebastian 30 Dec 05:09
  Need help removing/replacing a color rich2005 30 Dec 08:56
   Need help removing/replacing a color RunSebastian 31 Dec 17:49
    Need help removing/replacing a color RunSebastian 31 Dec 17:54
   Need help removing/replacing a color RunSebastian 31 Dec 18:33
    Need help removing/replacing a color Steve Kinney 01 Jan 00:34
     Need help removing/replacing a color Steve Kinney 01 Jan 00:50
      Need help removing/replacing a color Steve Kinney 01 Jan 00:51
       Make timestamped backups as one overwrites image with CTL-S? Dave 24 Aug 18:38
2016-12-30 05:09:45 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Hello,

For about an hour enough, I've been trying to remove this really nasty yellow from an icon that I'm making. I've been through tutorial after tutorial to no avail. If at all possible, I'd like to make the yellow areas grayscale, the end goal being a black and white icon with red spotcolor. The image is PNG if that makes any difference. I've attached it to this thread. If you have any tips, I'd greatly appreciate them. I'm about to rip my hair out. x_x

Thanks!

rich2005
2016-12-30 08:56:54 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Hello,

For about an hour enough, I've been trying to remove this really nasty yellow from an icon that I'm making. I've been through tutorial after tutorial to no avail. If at all possible, I'd like to make the yellow areas grayscale, the end goal being a black and white icon with red spotcolor. The image is PNG if that makes any difference. I've attached it to this thread. If you have any tips, I'd greatly appreciate them. I'm about to rip my hair out. x_x

Thanks!

Several ways to get some sort of result. Try:

Duplicate layer Desaturate (luminosity) the top layer Add a layermask to the top (desaturated) layer Paint (carefully) in black to uncover the red areas, white to cover up again. see: https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-layer-mask-add.html

When complete save as a gimp xcf to retain layers, mask etc. When happy, export as a png / or ...whatever.

attached xcf as example.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

2016-12-31 17:49:38 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Duplicate layer Desaturate (luminosity) the top layer Add a layermask to the top (desaturated) layer Paint (carefully) in black to uncover the red areas, white to cover up again.
see: https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-layer-mask-add.html

When complete save as a gimp xcf to retain layers, mask etc. When happy, export as a png / or ...whatever.

attached xcf as example.

Hello,

Thanks for replying.

I think I should clarify and state that I'm very new to this program and thus am clueless as to what the different tools are and what all they do.

That being said, I followed your directions. I still wasn't able to make the icon look like I want it to. (Actually, I'm not sure if I did or not. I tried selecting the view/lock on each layer and then the view/lock on both layers and wasn't able to see exactly what it would look like if I exported it, so I left it alone.) I think the issue is in which mask layer I'm selecting. I tried the black and then white mask layer and using the black and white paint on them both, and, well, I'm not really sure what it did besides add a square besides one layer in the Layer dock. Since I can't tell if I'm making progress or not, I didn't try the others. I assume the top layer is supposed to be the desaturated one with the section where the red would be removed, but no matter what I select, the mask layer keeps getting added to the colored layer.

I've attached a snapshot of what this all looks like.

I'd really appreciate further explanation about what to do from here (from anyone who's reading).

Thanks.

2016-12-31 17:54:14 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Hello,

Thanks for replying.

I think I should clarify and state that I'm very new to this program and thus am clueless as to what the different tools are and what all they do.

That being said, I followed your directions. I still wasn't able to make the icon look like I want it to. (Actually, I'm not sure if I did or not. I tried selecting the view/lock on each layer and then the view/lock on both layers and wasn't able to see exactly what it would look like if I exported it, so I left it alone.) I think the issue is in which mask layer I'm selecting. I tried the black and then white mask layer and using the black and white paint on them both, and, well, I'm not really sure what it did besides add a square besides one layer in the Layer dock. Since I can't tell if I'm making progress or not, I didn't try the others. I assume the top layer is supposed to be the desaturated one with the section where the red would be removed, but no matter what I select, the mask layer keeps getting added to the colored layer.

I've attached a snapshot of what this all looks like.

I'd really appreciate further explanation about what to do from here (from anyone who's reading).

Thanks.

Oh, I see now that you attached an example. Thanks! I'll try to do what you did and will come back if it still doesn't work for me.

2016-12-31 18:33:39 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Duplicate layer Desaturate (luminosity) the top layer Add a layermask to the top (desaturated) layer Paint (carefully) in black to uncover the red areas, white to cover up again.

attached xcf as example.

I got it! Thank you so much for your help! :)

Steve Kinney
2017-01-01 00:34:06 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 12/31/2016 01:33 PM, RunSebastian wrote:

attached xcf as example.

I got it! Thank you so much for your help! :)

You came to the right place. I s a set of VBR brushes I made; they cover over 90% of my own uses for brush tools in the GIMP; I named them to assure that they appear at the top of the list in the Brushes dialog:

http://pilobilus.net/xfer/Variable-Brushes.zip

Drop them into your /brushes folder, and viola.

Preview:

http://pilobilus.net/xfer/brushes.png

:o)

Steve

Steve Kinney
2017-01-01 00:50:10 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 12/31/2016 07:34 PM, Steve Kinney wrote: [ snip ]

There are two major classes of GIMP brush: GBR brush files are bitmaps, fixed in size and hardness. VBR brush files are vectors, with variable size and hardness that can be changed "on the fly" with keyboard + mouse commands while using the brushes.

Here's a set of VBR brushes I made; they cover over 90% of my own uses for brush tools in the GIMP; I named them to assure that they appear at the top of the list in the Brushes dialog:

http://pilobilus.net/xfer/Variable-Brushes.zip

Drop them into your /brushes folder, and viola.

Preview:

http://pilobilus.net/xfer/brushes.png

I forgot to include this link to a screen shot of the configuration menu. In addition to the settings shown, I like to set "context-brush-hardness-(etc.)" options to make brushes softer/harder in response to Ctrl+Alt + scroll up/down.

:o)

Steve Kinney
2017-01-01 00:51:32 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 12/31/2016 07:50 PM, Steve Kinney wrote:

On 12/31/2016 07:34 PM, Steve Kinney wrote: [ snip ]

I forgot to include this link to a screen shot of the configuration menu. In addition to the settings shown, I like to set "context-brush-hardness-(etc.)" options to make brushes softer/harder in response to Ctrl+Alt + scroll up/down.

Dang, I am having a hard time finishing a post. This time for sure:

http://pilobilus.net/img/mouse-scale-brush.jpg

Dave
2017-08-24 18:38:49 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Make timestamped backups as one overwrites image with CTL-S?

I've begun learning & using Gimp. I figured I may as well start with the newest version of Gimp that I could find so I am using Partha's build: win7x64, v2.9.5, commit 14795c1.

I should have been more careful but I ignored the "Unstable Development Version" warning which I get when I start Gimp. I lost quite a bit of work after getting some error messages about not being able to read swap or something. A save (CTL-S) seemed to work, so I continued. It turns out the image is corrupted.

Question: many editors have an option to make a backup of the item being edited before writing over the original. I know I could do a "save as" but that is rather tedious as I would have to type a name each time. Is there any option or extension that would save a time stamped backup before overwriting the original when I use CTL-S to save my progress?

I would think this would be a very useful option. I was very surprised to find that I could accidentally move the background layer. It seems to me that it is far too easy to accidentally do something (because I forgot to click the right tool), not notice and then save over my original.

As an aside, is there something I could put on the windows shortcut that would save a log of error messages? The popup said something about writing to stderr, but that does not exist on windows when I start via the shortcut link.