RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Cannot compile gimp 2.0.x on RHAT9 --> GTK+2 not found

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Cannot compile gimp 2.0.x on RHAT9 --> GTK+2 not found Jeffery Cann 11 Dec 18:27
  Cannot compile gimp 2.0.x on RHAT9 --> GTK+2 not found Michael Schumacher 11 Dec 19:05
  Cannot compile gimp 2.0.x on RHAT9 --> GTK+2 not found Carol Spears 11 Dec 22:50
20041211200034.593C1111FD@l... 07 Oct 20:16
  Cannot compile gimp 2.0.x on RHAT9 --> GTK+2 not found Jeffery Cann 11 Dec 23:07
Jeffery Cann
2004-12-11 18:27:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Red hat 9 ships with GTK+, version 1.2.10. Gimp 2.x requires GTK+, version 2.

The gimp installation file notes:

"You need to have installed GTK+ version 2.2.2 or better. Do not try to use an older GTK+ version (1.2.x), it will not work. GTK+-2.x and friends can be installed side by side with GTK+-1.2."

OK. So I download, compile and install gtk+-2.2.4 into default location of /usr/local. Redhat put gtk+ 1.x in another location (/usr/lib and /usr/share)

When I run the gimp configure program after the GTK+ 2.2.4 installation, I still receive the 'missing gtk+ 2 error':

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.2.2... no

There appears to be no way to tell gimp's configure script where to find the GTK+ 2.2.4 version in /usr/local/lib. If there is, PLEASE tell me!

The INSTALL file describes how to 'fix' my problem:

* An old version of the GTK+ libraries was found instead of your newly installed version. This commonly happens if a binary package of GTK+ was previously installed on your system, and you later compiled GTK+ from source.

Fix: remove the old libraries and include files.

So, the INSTALL file contradicts itself by saying that 1) GTK+ 1 and 2 can coexist, but that 2) I need to remove GTK+1 for configure to find GTK+2.

It's not a fix remove the GTK+ rpm as there are many dependancies on Red Hat 9.

Does any one have a suggestion to solve this problem?

Thanks

Michael Schumacher
2004-12-11 19:05:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Jeffery Cann wrote:

There appears to be no way to tell gimp's configure script where to find the GTK+ 2.2.4 version in /usr/local/lib. If there is, PLEASE tell me!

Tell pkg-config where it should find GTK+

So, the INSTALL file contradicts itself by saying that 1) GTK+ 1 and 2 can coexist, but that 2) I need to remove GTK+1 for configure to find GTK+2.

Nah, just a bit lack of knowledge on your side ;)

HTH, Michael

Carol Spears
2004-12-11 22:50:32 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 10:27:02AM -0700, Jeffery Cann wrote:

OK. So I download, compile and install gtk+-2.2.4 into default location of /usr/local. Redhat put gtk+ 1.x in another location (/usr/lib and /usr/share)

When I run the gimp configure program after the GTK+ 2.2.4 installation, I still receive the 'missing gtk+ 2 error':

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.2.2... no

this looks like something that can be fixed if you do two things. maybe you need to add the path (/usr/local/lib) to ld.config and run "ldconfig". or it might do the trick to simply download this shell script from wgo:
http://www.gimp.org/source/howtos/gimpenv type "source gimpenv" with the console you are building with.

good luck with redhat 9. it is slightly old.

carol

Jeffery Cann
2004-12-11 23:07:09 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Cannot compile gimp 2.0.x on RHAT9 --> GTK+2 not found

Michael Schumacher wrote: Nah, just a bit lack of knowledge on your side ;)

Thanks for clearing it up. I'm not too experienced with GNOME utils. And I see that the .pc files are quite useful. I was used to the *old* way where you specified non-standard library paths as parameters to the configure script.

Anyway, for the record here's what I did:

1. edit /etc/ld.conf - added /usr/local/lib - This is where GTK+2 was installed (by default).
2. set the env variables. The GTK+ 2 package config file gtk+-2.0.pc gets installed (by default) to /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig. So for this configure script to find it set:

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/; export PKG_CONFIG_PATH

Similary, the GTK+ 2 libraries are installed in /usr/local/lib, so set:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

FYI - I tried editing /etc/ld.conf (adding /usr/local/lib) and then running /sbin/ldconfig and this didn't work.

I then reran ./configure for gimp 2.0.6 and it worked.

Thanks! Jeff