RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Resizing

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

1102717571.1426720.14803079... 28 Nov 04:39
  Resizing Melinda Ball via gimp-user-list 28 Nov 04:39
   Resizing Ofnuts 28 Nov 08:41
   Resizing Partha Bagchi 28 Nov 12:08
   Resizing Rick Strong 28 Nov 17:57
   Resizing Noel Stoutenburg 29 Nov 01:08
Melinda Ball via gimp-user-list
2016-11-28 04:39:09 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Resizing

I need to take a digital image, resize it to a 2 x 2 inch image to fit into an ornament. What I previously did in photoshop was to crop it to 2x2 inches, save it, then place it into a 4 x 6 new document, then save it as a jpeg. Then I was able to send it to a photo lab to be printed. I have messed around with cropping my image in gimp and its not sticking to the 2 x 2 inch photo that I need! Please help!

Ofnuts
2016-11-28 08:41:50 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Resizing

On 28/11/16 05:39, Melinda Ball via gimp-user-list wrote:

I need to take a digital image, resize it to a 2 x 2 inch image to fit into an ornament. What I previously did in photoshop was to crop it to 2x2 inches, save it, then place it into a 4 x 6 new document, then save it as a jpeg. Then I was able to send it to a photo lab to be printed. I have messed around with cropping my image in gimp and its not sticking to the 2 x 2 inch photo that I need! Please help!

Can you describe step-by-step how you do dit? You must be missing something?

Also, what is the size of the final image (in pixels), and what to you see in the Image>Print size dialog?

Partha Bagchi
2016-11-28 12:08:23 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Resizing

Make sure that your original image is square (2x2) prior to resizing. Otherwise your aspect ratio will be wrong and the image will be distorted. Then use scale image and then copy the image. Open a new 4x6 document and paste into it. Finally export the image as jpeg.

On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 11:39 PM, Melinda Ball via gimp-user-list < gimp-user-list@gnome.org> wrote:

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Rick Strong
2016-11-28 17:57:55 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Resizing

Cropping and Resizing are two different actions.

To CROP means to cut away stuff so that you are left with only—in your case—a 2 inch square image.

To RESIZE means you have reduced an image in size, not cut anything away. If your original image was not EXACTLY square you can never end up with a perfectly square smaller image. This is because RESIZING makes things smaller, or bigger, by keeping the proportions or aspect ratio of the image the same as the original.

The tool you want is the CROP tool. TOOLS > TRANSFORM TOOLS > CROP. - Check FIXED > Aspect Ratio.
- SIZE > Inches (In)
- 2.0 , 2.0
- Make the cropping square bigger or smaller to fit by moving the corner boxes.
- Press Enter.
- Save it as a GIMP .XCF, then EXPORT AS whatever you want: JPEG, PNG, whatever your lab wants
- Put your cropped image into 4 x 6 document that will go to the photo lab.

Smile at the good job you have done! {8>)

Cheers, Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Melinda Ball via gimp-user-list Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2016 11:39 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] Resizing

Noel Stoutenburg
2016-11-29 01:08:58 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Resizing

Melinda Ball via gimp-user-list wrote:

I need to take a digital image, resize it to a 2 x 2 inch image to fit into an ornament. What I previously did in photoshop was to crop it to 2x2 inches, save it, then place it into a 4 x 6 new document, then save it as a jpeg.

What I would do, after cropping the image to 2 inches square, is to select "Canvas size" in the Image menu. In the dialog menu, in the "Canvas Size" item, I would change the unit from "px" (pixel) to "in" (inches), and set the height and width to the desired values. Below that, in the "offset" section, I would click the "center" button at the far right of the dialog box. The file is now ready to export to any supported file format you desire.

Having written that, it's not clear exactly what types of images you are using, and whether or not scaling is the best tool to use, but if you don't want to change the proportions of the elements in the image, you may want to "resize" rather than "scale" your source file.

ns