RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Judging the splash contest (mark 2)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Judging the splash contest (mark 2) Dave Neary 03 Dec 11:57
  Judging the splash contest (mark 2) Andreas Waechter 03 Dec 12:08
  Judging the splash contest (mark 2) Dave Neary 03 Dec 13:06
   Judging the splash contest (mark 2) Dave Neary 03 Dec 14:02
Judging the splash contest (mark 2) Raphaël Quinet 03 Dec 15:36
  Judging the splash contest (mark 2) David Hodson 03 Dec 16:23
Dave Neary
2004-12-03 11:57:08 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi all,

So far only 2 people have said they would like to judge the splash contest, so we need more volunteers.

I would like to have a judging group set up by this evening, since it is already early enough to start eliminating 80 to 90% of the existing entries, and it's best if you don't have to look at them all on Monday (unless you people like a big headache).

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary
Lyon, France

Andreas Waechter
2004-12-03 12:08:46 UTC (over 19 years ago)

So far only 2 people have said they would like to judge the splash contest, so we need more volunteers.

I usually don't care for the splash screen, so I won't judge on it.

But when I looked through the images, there were some I really disliked - NOT for the graphical ability, just for the motive.

In my opinion, pictures of politicians should not be used (independent of the country they come from or the party they belong to - GIMP is used in many countries).

Even more generally, pictures of living people should IMHO not be used - there might be legal consequences (don't know the exact legal terms in English, but I think of the "Recht am eigenen Bild" - roughly translated the "publishing rights on pictures of yourself")

I think there are enough beautiful pictures with no persons in them to choose from ...

Andreas

Dave Neary
2004-12-03 13:06:47 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Quoting Dave Neary :

So far only 2 people have said they would like to judge the splash contest, so
we need more volunteers.

We now have 5 volunteers, and I think that's a nice sized panel.

Thanks a lot to everyone for their answers.

(should I say who the judges are? one of them replied to me off-list, so perhaps he wanted to stay anonymous...)

Cheers, Dave.

--
Dave Neary
Lyon, France

Dave Neary
2004-12-03 14:02:27 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi all,

Quoting Dave Neary :

We now have 5 volunteers, and I think that's a nice sized panel.

Thanks a lot to everyone for their answers.

It's been pointed out to me that because of the times when I started looking for people, earlier timezones have been favoured somewhat. Since people further West haven't had a proper chance to volunteer, I'll hold off on getting a judging panel together until this evening. If you want to help judge, and you haven't said anything yet, speak up. In about 5 or 6 hours, I will send a mail to the panel of 5.

Apologies to the people who I already mailed to say they would be judging.

Cheers, Dave.

--
Dave Neary
Lyon, France

Raphaël Quinet
2004-12-03 15:36:38 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On 3 Dec 2004 11:08:46 +0100, Andreas Waechter wrote:

I usually don't care for the splash screen, so I won't judge on it.

But when I looked through the images, there were some I really disliked - NOT for the graphical ability, just for the motive.

[...]

Besides the motive, there is another thing that has not been mentioned so far about the splash screens: if you look at the history of previous splash screens (available from http://www.gimp.org/about/splash/), you will see that there is a difference between the splash screens for stable releases and the ones used during the development cycle. - For the development releases, many splash screens were based on photos and had a slightly humorous tone (references to bugs, crashes, etc.)
- For stable releases, the images are generated entirely within the GIMP. Those who pay attention to them can try to guess how some filters, gradients, patterns, fonts and so on were used to create the final image.

We do not have to follow the same tradition as for the previous stable releases and I think that some of the splash screens based on manipulated photos are very nice. But personally, I prefer the splash screens in which the original photo (if any was used) has been modified in some significant way instead of having simply been inserted into the existing layers. Of course, I don't want to influence the judges... ;)

IMHO, IANAJ (I am not a judge), etc.

-Raphaël

David Hodson
2004-12-03 16:23:52 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I haven't even looked at the entries yet, but I would strongly agree with both of these suggestions (no (living) people, and substantial use of the GIMP to create the image).