RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Choice of language

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Choice of language ferren 15 Oct 08:47
  Choice of language gimp-users.mbourne@spamgourmet.com 15 Oct 16:03
   Choice of language ferren 16 Oct 05:53
    Choice of language Partha Bagchi 17 Oct 19:26
     Choice of language drmarkellis 11 Jul 01:37
      Choice of language Michael Schumacher 11 Jul 20:30
  Choice of language Michael Schumacher 17 Oct 19:52
2016-10-15 08:47:49 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Choice of language

GIMP 2.8.18 under Sierra on Mac suddenly started using Greek as its native tongue. While I can transliterate Greek, and recognize anything remotely like international scientific vocabulary, I am at a loss when it comes to finding out how to get back to English or some other language I am comfortable with.

I tried installing a new download, but simply trashing the Greek-speaking version had no effect on whatever file keeps track of language choice.

I looked at MacCleaner as a way of removing all the auxiliary files, but it appears to be a scam site.

Any clues about getting back to English?

gimp-users.mbourne@spamgourmet.com
2016-10-15 16:03:05 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Choice of language

ferren wrote:

GIMP 2.8.18 under Sierra on Mac suddenly started using Greek as its native tongue. While I can transliterate Greek, and recognize anything remotely like international scientific vocabulary, I am at a loss when it comes to finding out how to get back to English or some other language I am comfortable with.

I tried installing a new download, but simply trashing the Greek-speaking version had no effect on whatever file keeps track of language choice.

The language has probably been set in your user-specific configuration, which is intentionally kept through a reinstall, so that all your customisations are retained.

I looked at MacCleaner as a way of removing all the auxiliary files, but it appears to be a scam site.

Any clues about getting back to English?

If you don't mind manually editing configuration files: - Close GIMP
- Open the file ~/.gimp/gimprc in a text editor (in case you're not familiar with the conventions, ~ represents your personal home directory; .gimp is a hidden directory so if you're using a graphical file browser you might have to type the name into the address bar or set an option to show hidden files)
- There is probably a line looking something like: (language "el")
- Change that line to:
(language "en_GB")
- Save the file
- Start GIMP; hopefully it's now in UK English

If you'd prefer a different dialect of English, the other options are "en_CA" for Canadian and "en_US" for American.

If you can manage enough of the GUI in Greek, you'd be looking for: - Edit > Preferences (although I think Mac has a different convention, so this might be something like GIMP > Preferences) - Interface (second item in the left side of the preferences dialog) - The top option in the right side is "Language"; select your preferred dialect of English; each language has the code in square brackets after that, so you'll be looking for an option including "[en_GB]", "[en_CA]" or "[en_US]" (whichever dialect you prefer) - Click "OK" (middle of the 3 buttons at lower right of the dialog - Hopefully GIMP is now in English

Mark.
2016-10-16 05:53:15 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Choice of language

ferren wrote:
The language has probably been set in your user-specific configuration,
which is intentionally kept through a reinstall, so that all your customisations are retained.
- Open the file ~/.gimp/gimprc in a text editor (in case you're not familiar with the conventions, ~ represents your personal home directory; .gimp is a hidden directory so if you're using a graphical file browser you might have to type the name into the address bar or set
an option to show hidden files)
- Change that line to:
(language "en_GB")
- Save the file

If you'd prefer a different dialect of English, the other options are "en_CA" for Canadian and "en_US" for American.

If you can manage enough of the GUI in Greek, you'd be looking for: - Edit > Preferences (although I think Mac has a different convention, so this might be something like GIMP > Preferences) - Interface (second item in the left side of the preferences dialog) - The top option in the right side is "Language"; select your preferred
dialect of English; each language has the code in square brackets after
that, so you'll be looking for an option including "[en_GB]", "[en_CA]"
or "[en_US]" (whichever dialect you prefer) - Click "OK" (middle of the 3 buttons at lower right of the dialog - Hopefully GIMP is now in English

On the Mac, it now goes GIMP > Protimeseis > Diepaphe > Glossa > [en_(GB)], (ιe, GIMP > Preferences > Interface > Language > [en_GB]). So far, so good. There was no ~/.gimp file, so I created an empty .gimp folder, in the hope that the above sequence would inspire creation of a configuration file. This has not happened, and GIMP stays in Greek after restart, with [en_(GB)] still selected. locate .gimp turned up no other .gimp file stored elsewhere.

Partha Bagchi
2016-10-17 19:26:14 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Choice of language

That's because there is no such thing on a Mac and has not been for a long time.

All your preferences are kept in your Personal Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.x. Here x=8 or 9 depending on which version you are using. You may also have both if you have both version installed.

If you cannot see your Library in Finder, make sure to make it visible.

If you run in this trouble one simple way is to move your GIMP/2.x folder somewhere else so that you are starting with a "clean slate" so to speak.

If you are not familiar with a system don't provide users with advice till you become familiar with that system or don't provide advice at all.

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 1:53 AM, ferren wrote:

ferren wrote:
The language has probably been set in your user-specific configuration,
which is intentionally kept through a reinstall, so that all your customisations are retained.
- Open the file ~/.gimp/gimprc in a text editor (in case you're not familiar with the conventions, ~ represents your personal home directory; .gimp is a hidden directory so if you're using a graphical file browser you might have to type the name into the address bar or set
an option to show hidden files)
- Change that line to:
(language "en_GB")
- Save the file

If you can manage enough of the GUI in Greek, you'd be looking for: - Edit > Preferences (although I think Mac has a different convention, so this might be something like GIMP > Preferences) - Interface (second item in the left side of the preferences dialog) - The top option in the right side is "Language"; select your preferred
dialect of English; each language has the code in square brackets after
that, so you'll be looking for an option including "[en_GB]", "[en_CA]"
or "[en_US]" (whichever dialect you prefer) - Click "OK" (middle of the 3 buttons at lower right of the dialog - Hopefully GIMP is now in English

On the Mac, it now goes GIMP > Protimeseis > Diepaphe > Glossa > [en_(GB)], (ιe,
GIMP > Preferences > Interface > Language > [en_GB]). So far, so good. There was no ~/.gimp file, so I created an empty .gimp folder, in the hope that
the above sequence would inspire creation of a configuration file. This has not
happened, and GIMP stays in Greek after restart, with [en_(GB)] still selected.
locate .gimp turned up no other .gimp file stored elsewhere.

-- ferren (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Michael Schumacher
2016-10-17 19:52:36 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Choice of language

On 10/15/2016 10:47 AM, ferren wrote:

GIMP 2.8.18 under Sierra on Mac suddenly started using Greek as its native tongue.

This is bug 770708: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=770708

We do not know why exactly it is happening, maybe it's somewhere in gettext.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
2017-07-11 01:37:53 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Choice of language

Hi,
I followed the instructions below, found the library/GIM/2.8/gimprc file, and added the line (language "en_US")
to the file. However, the program still initiates in Greek. I have attached a screen shot of the directory and the file open in textedit. Please advise, and thank you!
Sincerely,
Mark A. Ellis

That's because there is no such thing on a Mac and has not been for a long
time.

All your preferences are kept in your Personal Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.x. Here x=8 or 9 depending on which version you are using.
You may also have both if you have both version installed.

If you cannot see your Library in Finder, make sure to make it visible.

If you run in this trouble one simple way is to move your GIMP/2.x folder
somewhere else so that you are starting with a "clean slate" so to speak.

If you are not familiar with a system don't provide users with advice till
you become familiar with that system or don't provide advice at all.

• Setting language to English instead of Greek
    Gimp.jpeg (183 KB)
Michael Schumacher
2017-07-11 20:30:23 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Choice of language

Am 11.07.2017 um 03:37 schrieb drmarkellis:

Hi,
I followed the instructions below, found the library/GIM/2.8/gimprc file, and added the line
(language "en_US")
to the file. However, the program still initiates in Greek. I have attached a screen shot of the directory and the file open in textedit.

Please advise, and thank you!

Use a current version of GIMP - 2.8.22, for example.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD