RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP fails to load JPEG

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP fails to load JPEG Steve Crane 20 Nov 22:04
  GIMP fails to load JPEG Matthew H. Plough 20 Nov 22:25
  GIMP fails to load JPEG Sven Neumann 21 Nov 01:37
   GIMP fails to load JPEG Steve Crane 22 Nov 05:16
GIMP fails to load JPEG William Skaggs 21 Nov 17:09
Steve Crane
2004-11-20 22:04:27 UTC (over 19 years ago)

GIMP fails to load JPEG

I have been using GIMP for several years and just encountered a problem that I had never seen before. I just bought a Canon Digital Rebel (300D) and GIMP 2.0.0 is unable to open the JPEG files that it produces. The message that it gives is "Plug-In could not open image". JPEGs from my Fuji S7000 and other sources load without a problem.

If this is a known issue that has been corrected I will have to download and build the latest version. If not, is there anyone that can explain this and perhaps offer a solution?

Thanks.

Matthew H. Plough
2004-11-20 22:25:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

GIMP fails to load JPEG

Steve --

Are you sure that you are trying to load up a JPEG from the Canon Digital Rebel and not a RAW (CRW format)? I just shot a large JPEG on my Canon Digital Rebel and GIMP 2.0.5 loaded it without any problems. I'm on Windows 2000, but there shouldn't be any difference. If you want to open CRW files, you can get one of two plugins, as follows:

1) Download DCRAW and Pawel Jochym's RawPhoto plugin. -or-
2) Download UFRaw at http://www.aei.mpg.de/~udif/ufraw/ . I currently use DCRAW+RawPhoto, but I'm looking at either switching to UFRaw because of its better design, superior features, and more detailed documentation. It also has DCRaw built in, so you don't have to run around screaming trying to figure out why the dcraw executable isn't getting called, as some people seem to do with RawPhoto.

If you have a sample JPEG that's giving you problems, feel free to email it to me. I'll check it out.

Matt

Steve Crane wrote:

I have been using GIMP for several years and just encountered a problem that I had never seen before. I just bought a Canon Digital Rebel (300D) and GIMP 2.0.0 is unable to open the JPEG files that it produces. The message that it gives is "Plug-In could not open image". JPEGs from my Fuji S7000 and other sources load without a problem.

If this is a known issue that has been corrected I will have to download and build the latest version. If not, is there anyone that can explain this and perhaps offer a solution?

Thanks.

Sven Neumann
2004-11-21 01:37:33 UTC (over 19 years ago)

GIMP fails to load JPEG

Hi,

Steve Crane writes:

See http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=142252

You need to update libexif and you should also by all means update GIMP to version 2.0.6 or at least 2.0.5.

Sven

William Skaggs
2004-11-21 17:09:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

GIMP fails to load JPEG

I have been using GIMP for several years and just encountered a problem that I had never seen before. I just bought a Canon Digital Rebel (300D) and GIMP 2.0.0 is unable to open the JPEG files that it produces.

Most likely you are using a Linux distro (such as SuSE 9.1) that has a buggy version of libexif. See

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=142252

for more info. The solution, if this is the case, is to upgrade to a newer version of libexif. (A newer version of GIMP won't help.)

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Steve Crane
2004-11-22 05:16:10 UTC (over 19 years ago)

GIMP fails to load JPEG

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 01:37:33AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

You need to update libexif and you should also by all means update GIMP to version 2.0.6 or at least 2.0.5.

Thanks Sven, after updating libexif I can load those files. I will update GIMP when I have the time, probably next weekend.