RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

setting preferences to imches?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

setting preferences to imches? Creighton 06 Sep 01:09
  setting preferences to imches? Rick Strong 06 Sep 05:10
  setting preferences to imches? Alexandre Prokoudine 06 Sep 09:28
  setting preferences to imches? Creighton 06 Sep 18:06
Creighton
2016-09-06 01:09:23 UTC (over 7 years ago)

I downloaded the gimp 2.8.18. on mac osX.11.6. I have set my increments to inches. when i open a new document, it opens in pixels, even if my previous document is in inches. How do i get gimp to always show my new documents in inches?( or whatever incrament i want)

Rick Strong
2016-09-06 05:10:35 UTC (over 7 years ago)

1. Open GIMP (***with no new image or photo***). 2. Choose EDIT > PREFERENCES > DEFAULT IMAGE > IMAGE SIZE. 3. Under image size set whatever dimensions you want for new images. 4. ***In the last drop-down box on that line you will see "px" and a down triangle.*** Click the triangle and you will be presented with a selection of types of measurements: pixels, inches, millimeters, points, etc. 5. Choose "inches". Also set whatever else you want. Click "OK" 6. This is the important step: ***Quit GIMP without opening a new image or anything else.*** This sets "inches" as the default measurement for NEW images.

When you Open GIMP again and click FILE > NEW, "inches" will be the measurement system for your "NEW" files.

Rick Strong

-----Original Message----- From: Creighton
Sent: Monday, September 05, 2016 9:09 PM To: gimp
Subject: [Gimp-user] setting preferences to imches?

I downloaded the gimp 2.8.18. on mac osX.11.6. I have set my increments to inches. when i open a new document, it opens in pixels, even if my previous document is in inches. How do i get gimp to always show my new documents in inches?( or whatever incrament i want)

Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-09-06 09:28:14 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 4:09 AM, Creighton wrote:

I downloaded the gimp 2.8.18. on mac osX.11.6. I have set my increments to inches. when i open a new document, it opens in pixels, even if my previous document is in inches. How do i get gimp to always show my new documents in inches? ( or whatever incrament i want)

1. File -> New...
2. Change units to inches, click OK.

Now every time you use that dialog, GIMP will use inches by default. GIMP will also remember that preference across sessions.

Alternatively, you can open the Preferences dialog, go to the Default Image page, and set desired default image size in the units you need (or just change the units). This setting will also be preserved across sessions.

Alex

Creighton
2016-09-06 18:06:23 UTC (over 7 years ago)

my new document is in inches, but when i open an image i want to be part of a collage, the new image is back to pixels! Very frustrating!

On Sep 5, 2016, at 6:09 PM, Creighton wrote: