RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

circles and circumferences... again

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

circles and circumferences... again waju 19 Nov 20:45
  circles and circumferences... again Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 19 Nov 20:27
   circles and circumferences... again Thadeu Penna 21 Nov 21:31
    circles and circumferences... again Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 22 Nov 01:53
circles and circumferences... again waju 20 Nov 04:36
circles and circumferences... again Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 20 Nov 05:29
  circles and circumferences... again waju 20 Nov 17:57
Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-11-19 20:27:32 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi.

There is an easy way to draw circles and basic shapes. It just is not aparent by trial and error - the "tips of the day" could point you there.

Just create a circular selection (by holding shift after you start a selection wirth the eliptical selection tool), and them go to "edit->stroke selection"

What do you mean with a "versatile shape"? Maybe you will prefer to work with a vector instead - draw the circular selectiona s above, them, open the "paths" dialog, convert it to a path - you can them deform it, and when you want, go to edit->stroke path.

On Friday 19 November 2004 17:45, waju wrote:

hi:

i was looking for an easy way to draw circumferences, or any script, but i didnt find anything.

this is what i have: i have a picture (.png format), to which i want to draw a circumference around of it. before draw circumference, surely i will have to move, resize, change colour and modify it, so i need a versatile shape. ¿is out there any way to do this easily? ¿is there any script to help me? ¿is there any script to draw common shapes easily? ¿what about it in next version ;) ?

i'm using gimp 2.0 with gentoo GNU linux.

regards

waju
2004-11-19 20:45:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

hi:

i was looking for an easy way to draw circumferences, or any script, but i didnt find anything.

this is what i have: i have a picture (.png format), to which i want to draw a circumference around of it. before draw circumference, surely i will have to move, resize, change colour and modify it, so i need a versatile shape. ¿is out there any way to do this easily? ¿is there any script to help me? ¿is there any script to draw common shapes easily? ¿what about it in next version ;) ?

i'm using gimp 2.0 with gentoo GNU linux.

regards

waju
2004-11-20 04:36:27 UTC (over 19 years ago)

hi:

thank your for your answer, Joao.

i have advanced a little. i have done this:

i have created a new layer, so when i move the selection, my picture isn't affected.

i have created the circumference, with shift + cirled selection button. i go to dialogs > paths > selection to path (button).

then i can move the circumference, but when i finish moving it, the circumference disappears. before moving, i can stroke it. after moving, i can't.

i am really newbie in gimp. surely i am doing something wrong. do you have any idea?

thank you.

when i said "versatile shapes" i meant say a manageable shape.

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 17:27 -0200, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

Hi.

There is an easy way to draw circles and basic shapes. It just is not aparent by trial and error - the "tips of the day" could point you there.

Just create a circular selection (by holding shift after you start a selection wirth the eliptical selection tool), and them go to "edit->stroke selection"

What do you mean with a "versatile shape"? Maybe you will prefer to work with a vector instead - draw the circular selectiona s above, them, open the "paths" dialog, convert it to a path - you can them deform it, and when you want, go to edit->stroke path.

2004-11-20 05:29:54 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Friday 19 November 2004 20:37, waju wrote:

hi:

thank your for your answer, Joao.

i have advanced a little. i have done this:

i have created a new layer, so when i move the selection, my picture isn't affected.

i have created the circumference, with shift + cirled selection button. i go to dialogs > paths > selection to path (button).

then i can move the circumference, but when i finish moving it, the circumference disappears. before moving, i can stroke it. after moving, i can't.

i am really newbie in gimp. surely i am doing something wrong. do you have any idea?

Hi.
Ok - you are still asking for things that are easy to do - and that is good, because them I know how to answer you.

Both selections and paths can be moved (and you don ot even need a new layer for that).
To move selections, just use the move tool, but hold "alt" pressed as you click and drag the mouse.
If alt +click do not work (it may be the case if alt+click is used by the Desktop manager), you can stll pop up the move tool options 9 (double click on the move tool icon), and choose the second icon on the top - that is for moving selections instead of layers.

As for paths: a path is created "invisible", and you can only see it as you edit it. When you click on another tool - like the move tool, it will vanish. But in the layers/channels/paths dialog, there is a path tab - thrid icon on top, which you can use to select path vvisibility. And with the move tool, as you can use the option to move a selection, the third icon ont he top will move a path.

This shall be enough for you for now.

JS ->

waju
2004-11-20 17:57:50 UTC (over 19 years ago)

thank you very much, Joao. finally i could do what i wanted. i was locking to do something like this:

http://www.pallotti.edu.uy/transito/senales_transito/prohgirarder.jpg

now you can understand why i wanted to move, resize, and modify circumferences :)

now i have obtained what i need. thank you very much.

regards :D

Thadeu Penna
2004-11-21 21:31:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Em Sex, 2004-11-19 às 17:27 -0200, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris escreveu:

Hi.

Try to create a circular selection, fill it with the foreground color and to shrink the selection by a few pixels: you always get better (less aliased) results than to stroke it . Why is not this procedure the default to draw circular/eliptical shapes in GIMP ?

2004-11-22 01:53:32 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Sunday 21 November 2004 18:31, Thadeu Penna wrote:

Em Sex, 2004-11-19 às 17:27 -0200, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris

escreveu:

Hi.

Try to create a circular selection, fill it with the foreground color and to shrink the selection by a few pixels: you always get better (less aliased) results than to stroke it . Why is not this procedure the default to draw circular/eliptical shapes in GIMP ?

Hi.

There is a long standing bug (and hard to resolve :-( ) about stroking the selection. One can get far better results by converting selection to path, and stroking the resulting path. It is an easier procedure than the one you describe.