RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Problem with windws and tools disappearing

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Problem with windws and tools disappearing Just-Bob 25 Aug 04:13
  Problem with windws and tools disappearing Just-Bob 25 Aug 04:33
   Problem with windws and tools disappearing Rick Strong 25 Aug 18:31
   Problem with windws and tools disappearing Steve Kinney 26 Aug 18:45
  Problem with windws and tools disappearing Ofnuts 26 Aug 12:41
2016-08-25 04:13:56 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

I've used Gimp 2.4.2 for years now, and haven't upgraded because it works fine. Today for some unknown reason, when I open a file in Gimp and click Colors>Brightness/Contrast, the window for the Contrast/Brightness tool shows on the bottom taskbar of my computer, but I cannot access it. It's as if it's minimized and I cannot undo that. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Gimp, but it seems to be keeping settings and/or files on my computer because even after uninstalling it, rebooting and reinstalling it, the work history still shows up and the problem is still there.

I even tried uninstalling Gimp and upgrading to the latest version (2.8.whatever) and now the problem is happening with the Hue/Contrast tool. It simply does not open. On the main menu it will show the Hue/Contrast dialogue box, but it says something about "Tool has no options". I can't even find what that says now, because when I re-open Gimp, I do not get the main menu that used to pop up. Only a window to open a new file.

Is Gimp string some sort of corrupted files on my computer? How do I fix this?

2016-08-25 04:33:34 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

After another uninstall, I checked the registry and nothing appears to exist with the word Gimp in it. If it still exists in my computer, it's invisible. So I tried installing Gimp again,and lo and behold, the work history is still there and everything. And again, when I click Hue/Saturation, the window for that tool is minimized and inaccessible by any means of right or left clicks. It's like Gimp is having failures of one or two different tools each time. First the Brightness/Contrast would not open, then with the new version of Gimp the main menu box would not show, now it's back to the Hue/Saturation box not coming up (minimized/inaccessible, says "This tool has no options."

I've used Gimp 2.4.2 for years now, and haven't upgraded because it works fine. Today for some unknown reason, when I open a file in Gimp and click Colors>Brightness/Contrast, the window for the Contrast/Brightness tool shows on the bottom taskbar of my computer, but I cannot access it. It's as if it's minimized and I cannot undo that. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Gimp, but it seems to be keeping settings and/or files on my computer because even after uninstalling it, rebooting and reinstalling it, the work history still shows up and the problem is still there.

I even tried uninstalling Gimp and upgrading to the latest version (2.8.whatever) and now the problem is happening with the Hue/Contrast tool. It simply does not open. On the main menu it will show the Hue/Contrast dialogue box, but it says something about "Tool has no options". I can't even find what that says now, because when I re-open Gimp, I do not get the main menu that used to pop up. Only a window to open a new file.

Rick Strong
2016-08-25 18:31:34 UTC (over 7 years ago)

What OS are you using?
Since your old version is now not working, what do you have to lose by upgrading?

Ofnuts
2016-08-26 12:41:34 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 25/08/16 06:13, Just-Bob wrote:

Find your Gimp profile like this: http://gimpforums.com/thread-what-is-my-gimp-profile-and-where-do-i-find-it (with of course a different version number).

Then erase the "sessionrc" file in it (which is where the windows positions are kept). In case of more problems, rename the whole directory, restarts Gimp (this will create a new one) and then move your things (brushes, scripts, etc...) from old to new.

But installing a later Gimp version would be a good idea.

Steve Kinney
2016-08-26 18:45:31 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 08/25/2016 12:33 AM, Just-Bob wrote:

After another uninstall, I checked the registry and nothing appears to exist with the word Gimp in it. If it still exists in my computer, it's invisible. So I tried installing Gimp again,and lo and behold, the work history is still there and everything. And again, when I click Hue/Saturation, the window for that tool is minimized and inaccessible by any means of right or left clicks. It's like Gimp is having failures of one or two different tools each time. First the Brightness/Contrast would not open, then with the new version of Gimp the main menu box would not show, now it's back to the Hue/Saturation box not coming up (minimized/inaccessible, says "This tool has no options."

To remove the GIMP's configuration files, you will need to find them in your Windows user account's program data files. It has been over a decade (yay) since I have used any Microsoft product, so can't say where to find these files on your system. Uninstalling the GIMP and searching your file system for the word "gimp" should turn them up, although you may have to enable viewing hidden files in Windows Explorer for this to work.

Once found, delete the GIMP directory and try installing again. If the problem is a corrupted or missing or alien configuration file (which seems likely from the symptoms), that should fix it.

:o)