RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp does not accept JPG etc.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp does not accept JPG etc. Arran 15 Aug 16:44
  Gimp does not accept JPG etc. Arran 16 Aug 11:35
   Gimp does not accept JPG etc. Ofnuts 22 Aug 16:10
2016-08-15 16:44:50 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Hello
I just finished to install Kubuntu 14.04-5, the newest version of Kubuntu with Plasma 4. Now, I get the following error message when opening a picture in gimp. Identical behaviour with jpg. png, svg. Only xcf files are recognised. I install via the console, not via muon. The installation went properly through, without any error messages.

Any suggestions, how I can repair? Many thanks for any help.

2016-08-16 11:35:28 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Hello

All clear now. I just remembered a similar problem with another program could be solved by deleting the configuration file in /home. So I deleted the file .gimp-2.8, started Gimp, and the pictures can be opened again. I now have to find out, which configuration was responsable for this.

Ofnuts
2016-08-22 16:10:54 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 16/08/16 13:35, Arran wrote:

Hello

All clear now. I just remembered a similar problem with another program could be solved by deleting the configuration file in /home. So I deleted the file .gimp-2.8, started Gimp, and the pictures can be opened again. I now have to find out, which configuration was responsable for this.

Typically you should have something like this in ~/.gimp-2.8/pluginrc:

(plug-in-def "/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/file-jpeg" 1468533087 (proc-def "file-jpeg-load" 1
"loads files in the JPEG file format" "loads files in the JPEG file format" "Spencer Kimball, Peter Mattis & others" "Spencer Kimball & Peter Mattis" "1995-2007"
"JPEG image"
(icon stock-id -1 "")
(load-proc
(extension "jpg,jpeg,jpe") (magic "6,string,JFIF,6,string,Exif") (mime-type "image/jpeg") (thumb-loader "file-jpeg-load-thumb"))

And similar things for loading and saving other image formats.