RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

16 of 16 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install Gene Heskett 22 Jul 00:15
  Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install Akkana Peck 22 Jul 00:50
   Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install Gene Heskett 22 Jul 02:28
    Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install Gene Heskett 22 Jul 02:43
     Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install Rick Strong 22 Jul 04:03
      Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install Gene Heskett 22 Jul 05:22
       Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install Gene Heskett 22 Jul 05:26
        Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install Liam R. E. Quin 22 Jul 08:30
        Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install Joel Rees 22 Jul 09:32
         Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install Gene Heskett 22 Jul 12:03
          Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install Joel Rees 22 Jul 22:44
           Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install Liam R. E. Quin 23 Jul 18:46
            Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install Joel Rees 23 Jul 22:15
        Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install Alexandre Prokoudine 22 Jul 10:01
       Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install Rick Strong 22 Jul 14:00
        Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install Dale Manolakas 23 Jul 13:28
Gene Heskett
2016-07-22 00:15:28 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Greetings everybody;

I just went to add some text to some pix I just shot to be followed by moving the edited copies to my web page.

But I opened the first one in gimp, clicked on the A to get the text entry box, and no box appears.

So I assume I am missing a suggested dependency. Does anyone have a clue what I might not have installed?
Cheers, Gene Heskett

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page 
Akkana Peck
2016-07-22 00:50:29 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Gene Heskett writes:

Greetings everybody;

I just went to add some text to some pix I just shot to be followed by moving the edited copies to my web page.

But I opened the first one in gimp, clicked on the A to get the text entry box, and no box appears.

Are you clicking on the canvas after clicking on the A? The A just makes the text tool active; you have to click in the canvas to create a new text layer (and set its initial position).

...Akkana

Gene Heskett
2016-07-22 02:28:51 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Thursday 21 July 2016 20:50:29 Akkana Peck wrote:

Gene Heskett writes:

Greetings everybody;

Are you clicking on the canvas after clicking on the A? The A just makes the text tool active; you have to click in the canvas to create a new text layer (and set its initial position).

...Akkana

Clicking on the canvas left no mark on the canvas, nor did it open the teeny text editor. And I just did an update, and now it works, and not one of the 50+ updates looked to have anything to do with gimp. And I wonder if thats part of the reason I have thinning grey hair and a back back, 81 years always sounds like such a worthless excuse. I need to restart tdm-trinity anyway, and synaptic says there is a newer api compatible kernel, suggesting I reboot, so I guess its time.

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page 
Gene Heskett
2016-07-22 02:43:08 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Thursday 21 July 2016 22:28:51 Gene Heskett wrote:

On Thursday 21 July 2016 20:50:29 Akkana Peck wrote:

Gene Heskett writes:

Greetings everybody;

...Akkana

Clicking on the canvas left no mark on the canvas, nor did it open the teeny text editor. And I just did an update, and now it works, and not one of the 50+ updates looked to have anything to do with gimp. And I wonder if thats part of the reason I have thinning grey hair and a back back, 81 years always sounds like such a worthless excuse. I need to restart tdm-trinity anyway, and synaptic says there is a newer api compatible kernel, suggesting I reboot, so I guess its time.

Ok, rebooted, and now I have the text box, but nothing I do to or in it, shows up in the image within the image box outline I've pulled out to a quite decent size.

Did I miss another memo?

Thanks for the speedy reply, Akkana.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page 
Rick Strong
2016-07-22 04:03:22 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Make sure the SIZE is NOT in Px (pixels). Use Pt (points) or something bigger. Also make sure TYPE COLOUR (COLOR) is not black on black or white on white. Make it yellow; you can always change it later.

Rick

-----Original Message----- From: Gene Heskett
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2016 10:43 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install

On Thursday 21 July 2016 22:28:51 Gene Heskett wrote: . . .
Ok, rebooted, and now I have the text box, but nothing I do to or in it, shows up in the image within the image box outline I've pulled out to a quite decent size.

Did I miss another memo?

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page 
Gene Heskett
2016-07-22 05:22:32 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Friday 22 July 2016 00:03:22 Rick Strong wrote:

Make sure the SIZE is NOT in Px (pixels). Use Pt (points) or something bigger. Also make sure TYPE COLOUR (COLOR) is not black on black or white on white. Make it yellow; you can always change it later.

Rick

Nothing I change there makes it to the image.

Snapshot attached. smunched to 63kb.

Thanks Rick.

-----Original Message-----

Did I miss another memo?

Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page 
Gene Heskett
2016-07-22 05:26:15 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Friday 22 July 2016 01:22:32 Gene Heskett wrote:

Rick

And stripped by the server. How the heck do you expect your users to be able to show you whats gone aglay?

Thanks Rick.

Did I miss another memo?

Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page 
Liam R. E. Quin
2016-07-22 08:30:42 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

To draw text...

1. make a new image, RGB, 1000x1000 pixels (for example) 2. press t or choose the A in the toolbox 3. click on the canvas
4. You'll see a group of four boxes appear, and some controls. 5. Type, hello world
6. The group of four boxes turns into four boxes with a rectangle between, with text in it; the boxes move further apart as you type.

So, Do you see the controls?
Do you see the rectangles to the lower left of the controls? Does the group of rectangles change shape as you type? Do you see the text?

Open Tool Options (from the gimp menus, windows->dockable dialogues-

tool options) - tool options is often joined ("docked") under the

toolbox where the "A" was found.

In Tool Options you should see an Aa and the name of the Font. If the text is not appearing, or if you don't have an "Aa" under the word Text in tool options, click the region under the word Text and to the left of the font name to get a pop-up of fonts, and choose one.

If that didn't make the text appear, check the Colour is black and your picture has a white background.

If that didn't help see the Size under the font name, ,and click on the little up-arrow to the right of the number, and see if making the font larger makes it work.

I hope this helps.

Liam

Liam R. E. Quin 
Joel Rees
2016-07-22 09:32:40 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Hmm. I think I'll try putting text into a fresh image.

(Sorry about the double pump. Blame it on the gmail web client. One of these days, I'm going to divorce myself from big money's freebies, but not today.)

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 2:26 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

Rick

And stripped by the server. How the heck do you expect your users to be able to show you whats gone aglay?

Thanks Rick.

Did I miss another memo?

Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Pardon the allt-the-way-to-the-bottom-post, but I'm responding to the thread, not any particuar comment.

I just made a new image, everything at default, with v. 2.8.2.

Selected the text tool and clicked at a random point in the image.

Boy is that interface ugly. Patent issues, maybe?

I got an editing layer that is way too small to type anything in unless I'm using a zero point font, and a text attributes widget with the font/typeface selecter blank and the size set to 0px. Really useful, eh?

So I stretched out the text editing layer and clicked inside it and started typing, and I got a default sans font/typeface at 18 px,

And I can type within that layer, once I start typing.

Any clues in that for you?

-- Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist: http://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2016/06/econ101-novel-toc.html

Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-07-22 10:01:22 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

22 июля 2016 г. 8:26 пользователь "Gene Heskett" написал:

We don't control server settings in this case. And using something like imgur.com to post screenshots usually works well enough.

Alex

Gene Heskett
2016-07-22 12:03:16 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Friday 22 July 2016 05:32:40 Joel Rees wrote:

Hmm. I think I'll try putting text into a fresh image.

(Sorry about the double pump. Blame it on the gmail web client. One of these days, I'm going to divorce myself from big money's freebies, but not today.)

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 2:26 PM, Gene Heskett

wrote:

Rick

Thanks Rick.

Did I miss another memo?

Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Pardon the allt-the-way-to-the-bottom-post, but I'm responding to the thread, not any particuar comment.

I just made a new image, everything at default, with v. 2.8.2.

Selected the text tool and clicked at a random point in the image.

Boy is that interface ugly. Patent issues, maybe?

I got an editing layer that is way too small to type anything in unless I'm using a zero point font, and a text attributes widget with the font/typeface selecter blank and the size set to 0px. Really useful, eh?

References to the teats on a boar hog come to mind.

I tried all sorts of left and right clicks on the various icons in that teeny little window, and could not bring up a font selection requester. I get the impression it may not be finding its "default" font.

So I stretched out the text editing layer and clicked inside it and started typing, and I got a default sans font/typeface at 18 px,

Thats smallish for what I want to do. I could type into the text window of this interface, got a usable typeface, at about 18 px, but as I said, the only thing that shows up on the image area is that draggable outline. And the first uppercase character typed brings up some sort of a multiselector requester that looks as if its a users language for a lengthy list of what I take are foreign languages to me, but this list does not contain any names that suggest common American English, so I didn't select any of them and the requester goes away when the second character has been typed in the way too small text entry line of the text popup.

What is this text editing layer you refer to? I cannot find that in any of the pulldown menu's.

Possibly. I'll select one of those strange names and see what happens. I use Hack as my goto font, and selected Hack Bold, color set to bright green. Clicked in the drawing outline on the image, and typed a character. The font displayed instantly changes to sans at about 1 pixel, and my bright green color selection is replaced by black. And I see a teeny tiny orange dot where I clicked. So small I cannot reselect it to do a back space. So, type what I want, swipe select it with the mouse and change it to Hack Bold & bright green, .300 inches high. Text expands to that height, but remains black. But there are pix in this series I need to "caption" for my web page where the subject is black and I must use a different, brighter color for it. Being locked to black just won't do, and I never was locked to sans, microscopic and black before. You can see the first pix edited at

Shows what I can do ATM, but I need to colorize it too. I agree, this is the crazyiest cobble job of recoding the text entry I've ever dealt with, broken in so many ways it ceases to be just different. Its busted Jim. ;-)

--
Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist: http://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2016/06/econ101-novel-toc.html _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page 
Rick Strong
2016-07-22 14:00:50 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Gene,

Your image appears to show your text "Gluing the nut back on" in the type FONT box.
Your type should be below this in a thin line box with a small re-sizing box at each of the four corners.
Pls see my attached photo (if it comes through).

Rick

Sent: Friday, July 22, 2016 1:22 AM
To: Rick Strong ; gimp-user-list@gnome.org Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install

Rick

Thanks Rick.

Joel Rees
2016-07-22 22:44:44 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 9:03 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Friday 22 July 2016 05:32:40 Joel Rees wrote:

[...]

I tried all sorts of left and right clicks on the various icons in that teeny little window, and could not bring up a font selection requester. I get the impression it may not be finding its "default" font.

I think that, trying to live between MSWindows and *nix and developers and converts from the commercial tools, they've lost their way a little in the defaults and UI design.

Thats smallish for what I want to do. I could type into the text window of this interface, got a usable typeface, at about 18 px, but as I said, the only thing that shows up on the image area is that draggable outline.

That outline, if I'm reading your mind correctly, is the boundaries to the new text layer you implicitly added when you clicked on the image with the text tool selected. Very context sensitive UI.

Instead of simply clicking, you can drag, to give the layer the initial boundary you want to give it.

And the first uppercase character typed brings up some sort of a multiselector requester that looks as if its a users language for a lengthy list of what I take are foreign languages to me, but this list does not contain any names that suggest common American English, so I didn't select any of them and the requester goes away when the second character has been typed in the way too small text entry line of the text popup.

I'm not getting that. Oh, wait. Yes I am. You click in the font selection field and start typing the name of the font you want, and that's where it starts giving you suggestions that match what you typed. And the list does not show the names of foreign fonts very well. It does try, but doesn't quite make it.

Trying to read the developers' minds, they may be trying to avoid the CPU killer option of trying to list every installed font. I've done that on machines without enough memory and gotten a panic.

What is this text editing layer you refer to? I cannot find that in any of the pulldown menu's.

If you have the layer tool widget or whatever they call it out, you can see the layers in your current edit session. It will be in that list of layers.

It's just another layer, but with defaults and properties intended to make it easier to type in text and modify it later. It remains as a separate layer until you do something to combine it with a graphics layer or something like that.

Possibly. I'll select one of those strange names and see what happens. I use Hack as my goto font, and selected Hack Bold, color set to bright green. Clicked in the drawing outline on the image, and typed a character. The font displayed instantly changes to sans at about 1 pixel, and my bright green color selection is replaced by black. And I see a teeny tiny orange dot where I clicked. So small I cannot reselect it to do a back space. So, type what I want, swipe select it with the mouse and change it to Hack Bold & bright green, .300 inches high. Text expands to that height, but remains black. But there are pix in this series I need to "caption" for my web page where the subject is black and I must use a different, brighter color for it. Being locked to black just won't do, and I never was locked to sans, microscopic and black before. You can see the first pix edited at

Shows what I can do ATM, but I need to colorize it too. I agree, this is the crazyiest cobble job of recoding the text entry I've ever dealt with, broken in so many ways it ceases to be just different. Its busted Jim. ;-)

User interfaces are hard to get right and easy to mess up. (I know from experience building a few. :-( )

For the last little while, you've had to type (roughly) the text you want to paint in into the text layer at the defaults and then select it and set the attributes you want (as you talk about above).

Anyway, for now, it will help to think in terms of them trying to leave text layers in a state such that text is not rendered into a graphics layer until you've had a chance to play with the font, size, style, colors, etc.

They've made it possible to do that, but it isn't intuitive yet, by any means.

Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist:
http://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2016/06/econ101-novel-toc.html
Dale Manolakas
2016-07-23 13:28:57 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

I am afraid to do anything new!!!!  My Gimp works fine as is.  Sorry for all this trouble for you. Dale

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 3:35 AM, Rick Strong wrote:

Gene,

Your image appears to show your text "Gluing the nut back on" in the type FONT box.
Your type should be below this in a thin line box with a small re-sizing box at each of the four corners.
Pls see my attached photo (if it comes through).

Rick

Sent: Friday, July 22, 2016 1:22 AM
To: Rick Strong ; gimp-user-list@gnome.org Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp 2.8.2, wheezy install

Rick

Thanks Rick.

Liam R. E. Quin
2016-07-23 18:46:54 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Sat, 2016-07-23 at 07:44 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:

[...]

I'm not getting that. Oh, wait. Yes I am. You click in the font selection field and start typing the name of the font you want, and that's where it starts giving you suggestions that match what you typed. And the list does not show the names of foreign fonts very well. It does try, but doesn't quite make it.

Trying to read the developers' minds, they may be trying to avoid the CPU killer option of trying to list every installed font. I've done that on machines without enough memory and gotten a panic.

Please don't try to read people's minds :-) If some of the fonts are not listed please report it as a bug. What exactly do you mean by, doesn't show the names of foreign fonts very well? What exactly needs to change and how? Can you submit a precise bug report showing what you expect to happen and what actually happens, ideally using a freely available font, and including your language settings (e.g. in Linux the output of the "locale" command)? The A-z icons are not be appropriate in all cases and some fonts may be rejected on startup if GIMP thinks it can't use them, but it is not trying to give you some small subset.

[...]

For the last little while, you've had to type (roughly) the text you want to paint in into the text layer at the defaults and then select it and set the attributes you want (as you talk about above).

You should also be able to change the defaults in Tool Options before you start typing. That works for me at least.

Anyway, for now, it will help to think in terms of them trying to leave text layers in a state such that text is not rendered into a graphics layer until you've had a chance to play with the font, size, style, colors, etc.

I'm not sure what "intuitive" means in this context. Most people mean, "follows from my own personal experience" but others use "not intuitive" to mean "I don't like it" or "I don't understand it". GIMP will prompt you in most cases before giving up and rendering a text layer to a bitmap. It's likely that this behaviour can be improved in the future, after 2.10 is out.

Liam

Liam R. E. Quin 
Joel Rees
2016-07-23 22:15:48 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 3:46 AM, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:

On Sat, 2016-07-23 at 07:44 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:

[...]

Please don't try to read people's minds :-)

You mean, you don't want me to try to understand what you are doing?

(Okay, "mind reading" is a bit ambiguous. But it doesn't always mean imputing evil motivations. 8-* )

If some of the fonts are
not listed please report it as a bug. What exactly do you mean by, doesn't show the names of foreign fonts very well? What exactly needs to change and how? Can you submit a precise bug report showing what you expect to happen and what actually happens, ideally using a freely available font, and including your language settings (e.g. in Linux the output of the "locale" command)? The A-z icons are not be appropriate in all cases and some fonts may be rejected on startup if GIMP thinks it can't use them, but it is not trying to give you some small subset.

I'll try to make some time for screen shots and carefully unpacking what I said there, but not today. (I'm supposed to be somewhere in about an hour, and getting anything better than what I wrote above and will write below, here, will take more than an hour.)

[...]

You should also be able to change the defaults in Tool Options before you start typing. That works for me at least.

I'm not sure what "intuitive" means in this context. Most people mean, "follows from my own personal experience"

Experience or expectations.

Most new users of text editing tools expect the font selection tool to pop up a huge list if you just click on it (or, following MicroSlop convention, a small triangle on the right of the font name field). They also expect a default font name in the font name field.

but others use "not
intuitive" to mean "I don't like it" or "I don't understand it". GIMP will prompt you in most cases before giving up and rendering a text layer to a bitmap. It's likely that this behaviour can be improved in the future, after 2.10 is out.

Liam

-- Liam R. E. Quin

I was trying to remember what the ancient Macintosh convention was and looked up "font selection widget" on the web and found this interesting discussion:

http://unifont.org/fontdialog/

The solution suggested there is a bit on the idealistic side and needs support from the font foundries they seem not willing or able to give. (Still not in the current version of Libre Office.)

Checking LibreOffice, I see that the font names you show do look more or less like what one sees in LibreOffice. But I have to know, for instance, to type "I" in the font selection field in order to get the IPA Japanese fonts. Randomly typing "m", for instance, brings up a list of names that just look weird. (And the same font names like weird in LibreOffice's font selection tool, but at least you have meaningful font names above and below.)

I'll post screen shots in my blog tomorrow, if you want. I just don't have time today.

Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist:
http://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2016/06/econ101-novel-toc.html