RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Space 49 small images around a circle?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Space 49 small images around a circle? billlee 08 Jul 04:21
  Space 49 small images around a circle? Steve Kinney 08 Jul 20:18
   Space 49 small images around a circle? Steve Kinney 08 Jul 20:23
  Space 49 small images around a circle? Rick Strong 08 Jul 20:33
  Space 49 small images around a circle? Liam R. E. Quin 08 Jul 20:37
   Space 49 small images around a circle? Rick Strong 09 Jul 01:26
  Space 49 small images around a circle? Akkana Peck 09 Jul 02:54
  Space 49 small images around a circle? Ofnuts 09 Jul 12:54
   Space 49 small images around a circle? billlee 27 Jul 04:29
2016-07-08 04:21:35 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

I'm designing the image to print on a CD.

In this image, I'd like to arrange 49 copies of a small image evenly around a circle.

I'm a relative newbie, using GIMP 2.8.16 on Windows 10.

Thank you very much!

PS: I see a script for arranging text around a circle, but need to finish this CD before such a learning curve. :) If GIMP would display polar coordinates instead of rectangular, it might not be too hard to do this by hand. I guess I could try making a spreadsheet to generate the x,y coordinates. :) Probably GIMP has easier way(s) to do this, and I can learn something about GIMP too!

Steve Kinney
2016-07-08 20:18:11 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 07/08/2016 12:21 AM, billlee wrote:

In this image, I'd like to arrange 49 copies of a small image evenly

around a

circle.

Thank you very much!

PS: I see a script for arranging text around a circle, but need to

finish this

CD before such a learning curve.
If GIMP would display polar coordinates instead of rectangular, it

might not be

too hard to do this by hand. I guess I could try making a spreadsheet to generate the x,y coordinates. Probably GIMP has easier way(s) to do

this, and

I can learn something about GIMP too!

Methods for doing this depend on the orientation of the images you are spacing around a circle: Will they be upright relative to the center point, or upright relative to the viewer?

If the finished product will have radial symmetry, you might:

1) Scale the small image to fit.

2) Create a new empty layer and paste a copy of your image into that, at the location where it will be in the finished picture.

3) Duplicate that layer and do Layer > Transform > Arbitrary Rotation, and rotate the duplicate layer 9 degrees around its center via the dialog that pops up.

4) Merge the rotated layer down into the first transparent layer, duplicate the resulting layer with two copies of your small image, and rotate that 18 degrees.

5) Merge the rotated layer down into its source layer, duplicate and rotate 36 degrees, etc. etc. until the circle is complete.

If you want the small images upright relative to the viewer, make an X or other small target on a new empty layer, make a circle of marks as per above, and manually place 40 copies of your small image on those marks guided by some small detail in the images you are putting in a circle. (When aligning stacked layers, it can be useful to dial back the opacity of the top layer to about 70% via the slider in the Layers dialog dock, adjust the layer's position relative to what it's lining up with, then set the opacity back to 100%.)

That's how I would do it, anyway.

:o)

Steve Kinney
2016-07-08 20:23:41 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 07/08/2016 04:18 PM, Steve Kinney wrote:

On 07/08/2016 12:21 AM, billlee wrote:

In this image, I'd like to arrange 49 copies of a small image evenly

around a

circle.

Thank you very much!

PS: I see a script for arranging text around a circle, but need to

finish this

CD before such a learning curve.
If GIMP would display polar coordinates instead of rectangular, it

might not be

too hard to do this by hand. I guess I could try making a spreadsheet to generate the x,y coordinates. Probably GIMP has easier way(s) to do

this, and

Methods for doing this depend on the orientation of the images you are spacing around a circle: Will they be upright relative to the center point, or upright relative to the viewer?

If the finished product will have radial symmetry, you might:

1) Scale the small image to fit.

2) Create a new empty layer and paste a copy of your image into that, at the location where it will be in the finished picture.

3) Duplicate that layer and do Layer > Transform > Arbitrary Rotation, and rotate the duplicate layer 9 degrees around its center via the dialog that pops up.

4) Merge the rotated layer down into the first transparent layer, duplicate the resulting layer with two copies of your small image, and rotate that 18 degrees.

5) Merge the rotated layer down into its source layer, duplicate and rotate 36 degrees, etc. etc. until the circle is complete.

If you want the small images upright relative to the viewer, make an X or other small target on a new empty layer, make a circle of marks as per above, and manually place 40 copies of your small image on those marks guided by some small detail in the images you are putting in a circle. (When aligning stacked layers, it can be useful to dial back the opacity of the top layer to about 70% via the slider in the Layers dialog dock, adjust the layer's position relative to what it's lining up with, then set the opacity back to 100%.)

That's how I would do it, anyway.

Addendum: Come to think of it, the process I described would work perfectly for vector image content but would lead to loss of resolution in bitmap editors like the GIMP. Every rotated copy will be an /approximate/ duplicate of the original model, then an approximation of the approximation, etc.

So instead, rotate single duplicates of your first layer with the small image 9, 18, 27 etc. degrees until the circle is filled.

Or try the 1st method, check to see if the results are satisfactory, and do the slower, one at a time process if not.

:o)

Rick Strong
2016-07-08 20:33:30 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Three questions:
1. Why 49 times?
2. Is it the same image each time or a different image (and a different size)?
3. Steve's question: Will they be upright relative to the center point (all facing inward), or upright relative to the viewer?

Rick

-----Original Message----- From: billlee
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2016 12:21 AM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Space 49 small images around a circle?

In this image, I'd like to arrange 49 copies of a small image evenly around a
circle.

Thank you very much!

PS: I see a script for arranging text around a circle, but need to finish this
CD before such a learning curve. :)
If GIMP would display polar coordinates instead of rectangular, it might not be
too hard to do this by hand. I guess I could try making a spreadsheet to generate the x,y coordinates. :) Probably GIMP has easier way(s) to do this, and

billlee (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
Liam R. E. Quin
2016-07-08 20:37:02 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On Fri, 2016-07-08 at 06:21 +0200, billlee wrote:

In this image, I'd like to arrange 49 copies of a small image evenly around a circle.

Just a quite note - another way to do this is to write a script to generate SVG, checking the results in Inkscape.

But that requires being comfortable with scripting (e.g. perl, python)...

Liam

Liam R. E. Quin 
Rick Strong
2016-07-09 01:26:38 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Or, you could do it manually in a quarter circle at 7.347 degrees a pop and dupe it 3 more times rotating the quarter 90 degrees...assuming the images are all the same, of course.

Rick

-----Original Message----- From: Liam R. E. Quin
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2016 4:37 PM
To: billlee ; gimp-user-list@gnome.org Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Space 49 small images around a circle?

On Fri, 2016-07-08 at 06:21 +0200, billlee wrote:

Just a quite note - another way to do this is to write a script to generate SVG, checking the results in Inkscape.

But that requires being comfortable with scripting (e.g. perl, python)...

Liam

Liam R. E. Quin 
Akkana Peck
2016-07-09 02:54:31 UTC (over 7 years ago)

billlee writes:

In addition to the suggestions already made, you could try my arclayer script: http://shallowsky.com/software/arclayer/ after making a layer consisting of lots of copies of the image spaced out appropriately. I'm not sure it would be much easier than rotating them separately, though, since you'd have to figure out how much to space them out vs. what radius to use.

See also the "Related GIMP functions" section of the arclayer page for some built-in functions you could try (e.g. Polar Coordinates) but I never had much luck with them, or I wouldn't have needed arclayer.

I haven't used arclayer myself in years -- I stopped making CD labels when I found out how much they reduced a CD's life, and then I stopped using CDs altogether -- so let me know if it needs updating or gives deprecation warnings.

...Akkana

Ofnuts
2016-07-09 12:54:38 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 08/07/16 06:21, billlee wrote:

Thank you very much!

PS: I see a script for arranging text around a circle, but need to finish this CD before such a learning curve. :)
If GIMP would display polar coordinates instead of rectangular, it might not be too hard to do this by hand. I guess I could try making a spreadsheet to generate the x,y coordinates. :) Probably GIMP has easier way(s) to do this, and I can learn something about GIMP too!

- Download/install dial-marks from here:

- Make a circle path (circle selection and Select>>To Path, for instance) - Filter/Render/Paths/Dial marks and make a path with 49 marks with O width, the marks intersecting your circle - In the Paths list, make both paths visible, right click and "Merge visible paths"
- View>Snap to active path
- Now use the Move tool to drag your objects, they will snap in position (if they are centered in their own layer)

See: http://i.imgur.com/uTAqbqo.png

2016-07-27 04:29:20 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

- Download/install dial-marks from here:

- Make a circle path (circle selection and Select>>To Path, for instance)
- Filter/Render/Paths/Dial marks and make a path with 49 marks with O width, the marks intersecting your circle - In the Paths list, make both paths visible, right click and "Merge visible paths"
- View>Snap to active path
- Now use the Move tool to drag your objects, they will snap in position
(if they are centered in their own layer)

See: http://i.imgur.com/uTAqbqo.png

A big thank you for all your diverse scenarios! I hope to try them to see what I can learn.

After I posted my question, I couldn't just leave it alone. :-)

Digging around in the menus, I found Filters>Render>Line Nova. I played around with the parameters until I got what I needed. (49 rays radiating from what would be the centre of the CD image)

Then I drew a concentric circle of a size I guessed would work.

I scaled the little circular image. I pasted it as a new layer and dragged it to fit between the rays and just touch the outside of the circle.

Once I had the 49, I deleted the base layer which got rid of the rays and the circle.

I used Filter>Render>CD mask to create a new base layer and added the text layers.

(I did this a few weeks ago, and don't remember the steps exactly, so please excuse errors and omissions.)

One of you asked why "49"? The CD is a recording of a memorial service we held here for the 49 people murdered on June 12 in Orlando, Florida.) I've attached the finished image.

Again, thank you all very much!