RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Inquire ?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Inquire ? Richard 14 Nov 14:41
  Inquire ? Jakub Friedl (lists) 14 Nov 15:33
  Inquire ? David Neary 14 Nov 15:57
   Inquire ? Sven Neumann 14 Nov 16:19
Richard
2004-11-14 14:41:57 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Inquire ?

Just looking for a few facts,

One: Gimp does 16 Bit Color and 8 Bit Gray ( Right? ) no 24 bit or 32 bit?

Second:
The New Version ( Gimp 3.0 ) Will do Gegl, from my understanding that suppose to
handle any bit up to 48 Bit? & 16 Bit Gray ?

Third: Is there anyone in the free world, that has done up a Mac OS X package ( installer ) for he Current version 2.2 ?

Thank You All.

Richard

:-P

Jakub Friedl (lists)
2004-11-14 15:33:39 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Inquire ?

Gimp does 16 Bit Color and 8 Bit Gray ( Right? ) no 24 bit or 32 bit?

24/32 bit colour (RGB/RGBA) or 8 bit grey - in other words 8 bits per channel

The New Version ( Gimp 3.0 ) Will do Gegl, from my understanding that suppose to handle any bit up to 48 Bit? & 16 Bit Gray ?

Gegl based Gimp will support at least 16 bits per chanell (16 bit grey, 48 bit RGB)
such a gimp would be named at least 3.0, but it is possible that 3.0 would not include full gegl support and we will wait for a higher version (originally, 2.0 was supposed to be Gegl based)

David Neary
2004-11-14 15:57:42 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Inquire ?

Hi,

Richard wrote:

One:
Gimp does 16 Bit Color and 8 Bit Gray ( Right? ) no 24 bit or 32 bit?

No - GIMP does 8 bit gray, 16 bit graya, 8 bit indexed, 24 bit RGB and 32 bit RGBA. That is, if you look closely, 8 bits per channel.

Second:
The New Version ( Gimp 3.0 ) Will do Gegl, from my understanding that suppose to
handle any bit up to 48 Bit? & 16 Bit Gray ?

The next version of the GIMP (out soon) will be 2.2, and will not use gegl. The following version 3.0 should include gegl, which is a graphics library which abstracts away things like bitdepth and colorspace from image representation. It is certain that gegl will have a floating point pixel mode (it does already), and probably that the GIMP will add an interface to use it, so version 3.0 will have 48 bit floating point RGB, 64 bit floating point RGBA, and may well have 128 bit floating point RGBA.

It may also have a 16 bits per channel integer representation.

Third:
Is there anyone in the free world, that has done up a Mac OS X package ( installer ) for he Current version 2.2 ?

Don't know, I'm afraid. Have you looked on the gimp.app sourceforge page?

Cheers,
Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-11-14 16:19:30 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Inquire ?

Hi,

David Neary writes:

The next version of the GIMP (out soon) will be 2.2, and will not use gegl. The following version 3.0 should include gegl, which is a graphics library which abstracts away things like bitdepth and colorspace from image representation. It is certain that gegl will have a floating point pixel mode (it does already), and probably that the GIMP will add an interface to use it, so version 3.0 will have 48 bit floating point RGB, 64 bit floating point RGBA, and may well have 128 bit floating point RGBA.

Whether the next GIMP version will be called 3.0 remains to be the seen. If we can remain backward compatible to the 2.0 API we will probably choose 2.4 as the version number.

Whether the next GIMP version will be using GEGL also remains to be seen. It strongly depends on whether we have some people who are willing and capable to actively work on porting GIMP over to GEGL. At the moment the main goals for GIMP 2.4 that I see is the addition of color management that was planned for 2.2 but didn't make it in time for the feature freeze. That's just my point of view though. The plans for the time after 2.2 haven't been finalized yet.

Is there anyone in the free world, that has done up a Mac OS X package ( installer ) for he Current version 2.2 ?

2.2 hasn't yet been released. There's a first pre-release available and there's supposed to be another pre-release in the next couple of days. GIMP 2.2.0 will wait for a GTK+ 2.4 release that includes the GtkUIManager speedups. That is supposed to happen before the end of this month.

Sven