RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

opening multiple images from kde

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

opening multiple images from kde Gezim Hoxha 14 Nov 03:10
  opening multiple images from kde Patrick Shanahan 14 Nov 03:53
   opening multiple images from kde Gezim Hoxha 14 Nov 15:46
  opening multiple images from kde Sven Neumann 14 Nov 12:23
   opening multiple images from kde Gezim Hoxha 14 Nov 15:50
  opening multiple images from kde Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 14 Dec 20:51
   opening multiple images from kde Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 14 Dec 20:56
Gezim Hoxha
2004-11-14 03:10:06 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi all,

Here what I want to do: Since gimp doesn't have an image viewer (no problem) I just use the kde (konqueror). I just selected the images I wanted to open then on one of them I right clicked and chose open with gimp....behold 10 sessions of gimp opened up. So is there an argument for gimp that says "Ok if a gimp session is open, just use that session to open these images." I read the man pages and there was some session argument but no idea how to use it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Gezim

Patrick Shanahan
2004-11-14 03:53:15 UTC (over 19 years ago)

* Gezim Hoxha [11-13-04 21:17]:

Since gimp doesn't have an image viewer (no problem) I just use the kde (konqueror). I just selected the images I wanted to open then on one of them I right clicked and chose open with gimp....behold 10 sessions of gimp opened up. So is there an argument for gimp that says "Ok if a gimp session is open, just use that session to open these images." I read the man pages and there was some session argument but no idea how to use it.

You are really stretching my crystal ball. There are small but significant differences with the different distros and with the different gimp versions.

On my SuSE 9.0 with gimp 2.05 I use 'gimp-remote-2.0', as a command, not an argument.

The next question by you would get a better/more thorough applicable answer if you would take the time to tell us the conditions. Think about it.

Sven Neumann
2004-11-14 12:23:58 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Gezim Hoxha writes:

Since gimp doesn't have an image viewer (no problem) I just use the kde (konqueror). I just selected the images I wanted to open then on one of them I right clicked and chose open with gimp....behold 10 sessions of gimp opened up. So is there an argument for gimp that says "Ok if a gimp session is open, just use that session to open these images." I read the man pages and there was some session argument but no idea how to use it.

Konqueror should call gimp-remote instead of gimp. Actually if it doesn't do that, that would be a bug in Konqueror that you should report to the KDE developers. KDE is supposed to read the gimp.desktop file that is installed by GIMP installs and this file explicitely asks for gimp-remote to be used.

Sven

Gezim Hoxha
2004-11-14 15:46:21 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On my SuSE 9.0 with gimp 2.05 I use 'gimp-remote-2.0', as a command,
not an argument.

That's perfect, that all I wanted. I assumed it would be an argument like mozilla (mozilla -t, i think opens new tab).

The next question by you would get a better/more thorough applicable
answer if you would take the time to tell us the conditions. Think
about it.

I'm not sure I understand I know what you mean by "conditions"... :|

Gezim Hoxha
2004-11-14 15:50:29 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Konqueror should call gimp-remote instead of gimp. Actually if it
doesn't do that, that would be a bug in Konqueror that you should
report to the KDE developers.

Since the images were jpeg, gimp of course isn't my default program to open jpeg, so I right clicked and choose to "Open with...>Other" then I just typed "GIMP". Which of course executed gimp and not gimp-remote. So thanks for your answers Sven and Patrick Shanahan :)

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-12-14 20:51:15 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi.

Instead of telling konqueror and other apps to open images with the GIMP, tell them to open with gimp-remote instead.

Gimp-remote is an wrapper installed side by side with the GIMP that does just that: if there is no gimp running, run a new one. Else, open your image on the existing gimp.

JS ->

On Sunday 14 November 2004 00:10, Gezim Hoxha wrote:

Hi all,

Here what I want to do: Since gimp doesn't have an image viewer (no problem) I just use the kde (konqueror). I just selected the images I wanted to open then on one of them I right clicked and chose open with gimp....behold 10 sessions of gimp opened up. So is there an argument for gimp that says "Ok if a gimp session is open, just use that session to open these images." I read the man pages and there was some session argument but no idea how to use it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Gezim

__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!?
Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page. www.yahoo.com

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-12-14 20:56:09 UTC (over 19 years ago)

D'oh!

I just scrolled up the message historic without perceiving...I ended up answering a month old question.
Sorry everybody.

On Tuesday 14 December 2004 17:51, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

Hi.

On Sunday 14 November 2004 00:10, Gezim Hoxha wrote:

Hi all,