RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Newbie question - plugins in windows xp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

12 of 15 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Newbie question - plugins in windows xp Matthew H. Plough 16 Nov 00:54
  Newbie question - plugins in windows xp Sven Neumann 16 Nov 12:12
.127.0.0.1.1100331590.squir... 07 Oct 20:16
  Newbie question - plugins in windows xp Gezim Hoxha 13 Nov 09:01
   Newbie question - plugins in windows xp Michael Schumacher 13 Nov 09:13
   Newbie question - plugins in windows xp Scott Binns 13 Nov 09:17
.127.0.0.1.1100333868.squir... 07 Oct 20:16
  Newbie question - plugins in windows xp Carol Spears 15 Nov 21:04
   Newbie question - plugins in windows xp Scott Binns 15 Nov 22:41
.198.252.209.141.1100554909... 07 Oct 20:16
  Newbie question - plugins in windows xp Carol Spears 15 Nov 23:48
   Newbie question - plugins in windows xp Scott Binns 16 Nov 00:17
  Newbie question - plugins in windows xp Sven Neumann 16 Nov 12:11
   Newbie question - plugins in windows xp Michael Schumacher 16 Nov 14:20
    Newbie question - plugins in windows xp Sven Neumann 16 Nov 15:13
Gezim Hoxha
2004-11-13 09:01:08 UTC (over 19 years ago)

When I look in the folders listed, there .exe files there. the plugin I
downloaded is a .c file - how do I get it from a .c to a .exe? I looked
through the .c file, and it made mention of gimptool-2.0, so maybe I
should be asking where do I get it?

That's strange...well a .c file is a C file, meaning it's the source code of some C program. C is a programming language. In order to get it from .c to .exe you need to compile it...if you have no idea what the heck I'm talking about just send the URL to the list and I or someone else will be happy to compile this file for you, and post the .exe file somewhere. And chances are you downloaded the wrong file of the plugin (i.e. the source). As far as "gimptool" I wouldn't know...but I guess (big guess) that it's just some part of gimp--maybe toolbar!

p.s. do you have gimp 2.something ?

Michael Schumacher
2004-11-13 09:13:31 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Gezim Hoxha wrote:

As far as "gimptool" I wouldn't know...but I guess (big guess) that it's just some part of gimp--maybe toolbar!

gimptool is a script that help you to compile gimp plug-ins. It knows about all the compiler switches that are needed, calls the compiler to build the plug-in and can even install it to the right place.

For simple plug-ins that consist of only one .c file, it can replace a Makefile. (Older plug-in Makefiles used gimptool to get some values, mainly cflags and ldflags, but this is now discouraged in favor for pkg-config).

HTH,
Michael

Scott Binns
2004-11-13 09:17:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I don't mind building it myself, I just don't know what the process to build is. I downloaded it from http://registry.gimp.org/ - is there some other place to get the binaries for plugins?

I am using Gimp 2.0.5

Thanks, Scott

On Sat, November 13, 2004 1:01 am, Gezim Hoxha said:

When I look in the folders listed, there .exe files there. the plugin I
downloaded is a .c file - how do I get it from a .c to a .exe? I looked
through the .c file, and it made mention of gimptool-2.0, so maybe I
should be asking where do I get it?

That's strange...well a .c file is a C file, meaning it's the source code of some C program. C is a programming language. In order to get it from .c to ..exe you need to compile it...if you have no idea what the heck I'm talking about just send the URL to the list and I or someone else will be happy to compile this file for you, and post the .exe file somewhere. And chances are you downloaded the wrong file of the plugin (i.e. the source). As far as "gimptool" I wouldn't know...but I guess (big guess) that it's just some part of gimp--maybe toolbar!

p.s. do you have gimp 2.something ?

__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!?
Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page. www.yahoo.com

Carol Spears
2004-11-15 21:04:33 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 01:17:48AM -0700, Scott Binns wrote:

I don't mind building it myself, I just don't know what the process to build is. I downloaded it from http://registry.gimp.org/ - is there some other place to get the binaries for plugins?

this comes in the gimp source that you find on http://www.gimp.org. we are responsible to have this source code always available to you. we are not responsible to provide .exe's. someone was being nice to provide that.

carol

Scott Binns
2004-11-15 22:41:49 UTC (over 19 years ago)

So, my question now is, how do I build the plugin? What configuration/tools do I need, and what steps to I follow to get the .exe?

Scott

On Mon, November 15, 2004 1:04 pm, Carol Spears said:

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 01:17:48AM -0700, Scott Binns wrote:

I don't mind building it myself, I just don't know what the process to build is. I downloaded it from http://registry.gimp.org/ - is there some
other place to get the binaries for plugins?

this comes in the gimp source that you find on http://www.gimp.org. we are responsible to have this source code always available to you. we are not responsible to provide .exe's. someone was being nice to provide that.

carol

Carol Spears
2004-11-15 23:48:09 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 02:41:49PM -0700, Scott Binns wrote:

So, my question now is, how do I build the plugin? What configuration/tools do I need, and what steps to I follow to get the .exe?

if i remember correctly, you are asking for the gimptool. i get this everytime i build gimp from the source code.

this is a complete guess as for the reason that the gimp binaries for other apps do not include the gimptool. in order to use the gimptool, you need to be able to build it. looking past that self-definition part, it needs to have certain software building tools available to it. this sort of dependency and installation would make gimp never get installed on computers like windows that use only binaries. even the linux people need to install that same software building stuff to get a gimptool.

so here is the thing. since this plug-in uses the tools to build software that you need to build the gimp with anyways, the only way to get it is to build your own.

does that make sense? carol

Scott Binns
2004-11-16 00:17:35 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Yes - but what do I need to do to build gimp (and by extension the plugin)?

Thanks, Scott

On Mon, November 15, 2004 3:48 pm, Carol Spears said:

so here is the thing. since this plug-in uses the tools to build software that you need to build the gimp with anyways, the only way to get it is to build your own.

does that make sense?

Matthew H. Plough
2004-11-16 00:54:27 UTC (over 19 years ago)

First of all, thank you to Carol for being so helpful on this issue. I praise your willingness to help people out, and go beyond the call of duty in providing useful information. If you and Sven were not high-ups, you would be banned for being trolls.

This is the best I can do for now since I have a ton of work.

Scott, I had a bit of trouble compiling plugins on Windows, but I have a method that worked well for RawPhoto. I have not been able to get gimptool-2.0 to do anything but crash, but this method circumvents gimptool.

First of all, you'll need a compiler. Head over to http://www.cygwin.com and grab the Cygwin setup. Run it, and install for all users, and make the default text file type Unix (just for the heck of it). Choose a fast mirror -- mirrors.kernel.org works for me

Sven Neumann
2004-11-16 12:11:21 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Scott Binns" writes:

You need a C compiler and you need the libgimp header files. GIMP comes with a tool called gimptool that helps you to choose the right compiler flags to locate the headers and to link with the GIMP libraries. There's a Win32 version of gimptool but I am not sure if it is part of the installer. However it should be available from http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-11-16 12:12:54 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Matthew H. Plough" writes:

First of all, thank you to Carol for being so helpful on this issue. I praise your willingness to help people out, and go beyond the call of duty in providing useful information. If you and Sven were not high-ups, you would be banned for being trolls. This is the best I can do for now since I have a ton of work. Scott, I had a bit of trouble compiling plugins on Windows, but I have a method that worked well for RawPhoto. I have not been able to get gimptool-2.0 to do anything but crash, but this method circumvents gimptool.
First of all, you'll need a compiler. Head over to http://www.cygwin.com and grab the Cygwin setup. Run it, and install for all users, and make the default text file type Unix (just for the heck of it). Choose a fast mirror -- mirrors.kernel.org works for me -- and download some packages. It might take some looking through the list, but you'll need *at least*: (devel)
- gcc
- gcc-core
- g++
- binutils
- make
- pkgconfig
- mingw runtime
(interpreters)
- gawk
(libs) -- get doc, devel, and runtime just to be safe - atk
- freetype
- glib
- gtk+
- libiconv
- pango

You only need all this if you want to compile GIMP and all it's dependencies from source. If you just want to compiler a GIMP plug-in you need nothing but a C compiler (not necessarily gcc) and the libgimp header file.

Sven

Michael Schumacher
2004-11-16 14:20:35 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

"Scott Binns" writes:

You need a C compiler and you need the libgimp header files. GIMP comes with a tool called gimptool that helps you to choose the right compiler flags to locate the headers and to link with the GIMP libraries. There's a Win32 version of gimptool but I am not sure if it is part of the installer. However it should be available from http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html

Some users reported that the gimptool executable doesn't work correctly. I don't think anyone invested much time in this, since everyone who seems to be able to compile gimp and plug-ins so far uses cygwin and/or mingw and thus thze gimptool bash script.

I'm a bit surprised that it shouldn't take more to get plug-ins compiled - wouldn't they at least need gtk+ and/or glib?

However, compiling gimp is described in http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/HowToCompileGimp/MicrosoftWindows

I would like to get some feedback about this page - once you're able to compiled gimp without problems, you tend to forget about all those minor problems and glichtes one encounters while trying to set up a build environment. If someone wants to do a similiar page decribing how to compile plug-ins, I'd happily contribute.

Andlast but not least, if there are any problems with the build on win32, you could join the #gimp irc channel on irc://irc.gimp.org, I'm usually there in the evening (GMT +0200).

HTH, Michael

Sven Neumann
2004-11-16 15:13:50 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Michael Schumacher writes:

Some users reported that the gimptool executable doesn't work correctly. I don't think anyone invested much time in this, since everyone who seems to be able to compile gimp and plug-ins so far uses cygwin and/or mingw and thus thze gimptool bash script.

I'm a bit surprised that it shouldn't take more to get plug-ins compiled - wouldn't they at least need gtk+ and/or glib?

Well, yes. You also need the GLib and GTK+ header files. These are also available from http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html.

It would probably be nice if the installer for Win32 would at least optionally install these header files as well as the gimptool executable. I am not claiming that this would solve all problems but at least it would give us a chance to find out what other measures need to be taken.

Sven