RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Tiff, and Jpeg Talk Part 2

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Tiff, and Jpeg Talk Part 2 Richard 11 Nov 15:58
  Tiff, and Jpeg Talk Part 2 Jakub Friedl (lists) 11 Nov 16:49
Richard
2004-11-11 15:58:14 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Here is some information:

Test3.jpeg file is 197KB Test4.Tiff file is 5.5MB

Test3.jpeg Resolution is 1600x1200 Pix Test4.tiff Resolution is 1600x1200 Pix

Test3.jpeg 72x72 dip Test4.tiff 300x300 dip
---

Now, it would appear that I can scale down, to a 5x7 inches for the .jpeg and raise the dpi.

As for the .tiff file, I can scale up, to increase size of file 5 x 7 inches, and lower dpi.

So, the big Question is?, working with a Raw .tiff file, as to compare to a (fine .jpeg) the advantages would be ? what more color depth? better correction? then end size all would be 5x7 inches.

When shooting in HI mode, via digital camera, I must say, it does take 20 + seconds for the camera to finish copying the image, to Flash. ( I could upgrade to a faster 40x Flash card, that may help)

But, when shooting FINE mode, via digital camera, this only takes, a few seconds.

Just looking for some tips...

Thanks in Advance. Richard

Jakub Friedl (lists)
2004-11-11 16:49:39 UTC (over 19 years ago)

the advantages would be ? what more color depth? better correction? then end size all would be 5x7 inches.

the advantage is that with tiff you get original high quality image, while with jpg you are using compressing method based on throwing away small images details. it is done cleverly so that it damages the image in a way, that is for human eye not very noticeable, but still, you are loosing some information. it depends on a image and what you want to do with it, wheter it is too bad or not.