RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Tiff, and .jpeg issue

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Tiff, and .jpeg issue Richard 11 Nov 05:10
  Tiff, and .jpeg issue Nonexistent Entity 11 Nov 08:15
  Tiff, and .jpeg issue Sven Neumann 11 Nov 10:37
Richard
2004-11-11 05:10:21 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Tiff, and .jpeg issue

When shooting,
via my Nikon Coolpix 950 digital camera, I set the setting for picture resolution to FINE, Then to HI HI setting is .tiff Non-compression.

However, there seems to be a problem when loading the .jpeg (fine) into Gimp it shows a size of 22.2 x 16.7 inches, when loaded the .tiff file, it shows a size of 5.3 x 4.00 inches. and I get a error message:

{{{ DSCN0505.TIF: unknown field with tag 34665 (0x8769) encountered }}}

This is the 7 time I have taken .tiff images via the Nikon, and loaded them into Gimp.

Now, is it the Camera, not doing the a good job for .tiff files, or Gimp.

And shouldn't the .tiff file be allot bigger than the fine .jpeg file???

Thanks Richard

Nonexistent Entity
2004-11-11 08:15:44 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Tiff, and .jpeg issue

Hi,

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:10:21 -0500, Richard wrote:

When shooting,
via my Nikon Coolpix 950 digital camera, I set the setting for picture resolution to FINE, Then to HI HI setting is .tiff Non-compression.

However, there seems to be a problem when loading the .jpeg (fine) into Gimp it shows a size of 22.2 x 16.7 inches, when loaded the .tiff file, it shows a size of 5.3 x 4.00 inches.

Size in inches for a digital image is not retated to the image quality. it only shows image print size and can be easily changed without affecting the image before printing by changing resolution. The real digital image size is measured in pixels.

and I get a error message:

Tiff is a complicated file format that can have many non-standard proprietary extensions within - some software may be able to read this additional information, some - not. If your image is loaded fine and if it doesn't look wrong the errors should not mean much.

Check your tiff's *file size* (in MegaBytes or KiloBytes). For the same image with *image size* 1600x1200 pixels, .jpg file will have *file size* about 1MB while uncompressed .tiff will be ~5.5MB. That is because .jpg loses quality.

Print size (in inches) of the image only depends on resolution and for a 1600x1200px image (no matter jpg or tiff) with 300dpi (pixels/inch) resolution will be 5.3 x 4.00 inches, while with 72dpi resolution will be 22.2 x 16.7 inches. Though 72dpi is a very low resolution and is not recommended for printing.

This way your question comes down to whether your camera sets different resolutions for jpg and tiff files or the Gimp fails to read a set resolution and uses default. Though I don't know the answer, my guess is that your camera has different resolution settings for different file formats. Anyway this is not a problem as you can safely set desired resolution with Gimp, currently Image -> Scale Image (the name is going to change to "Print Size" as it won't scale the image if you only change resolution).

Sven Neumann
2004-11-11 10:37:38 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Tiff, and .jpeg issue

Hi,

Richard writes:

When shooting, via my Nikon Coolpix 950 digital camera, I set the setting for picture resolution to FINE, Then to HI HI setting is .tiff Non-compression.

However, there seems to be a problem when loading the .jpeg (fine) into Gimp it shows a size of 22.2 x 16.7 inches, when loaded the .tiff file, it shows a size of 5.3 x 4.00 inches.

Where's the problem? It appears that your camera is setting a different print resolution for the different formats. That is somewhat unusal but since the print resolution is just some meta information I don't see any problem with that. The only thing that counts here is the number of pixels your image has.

and I get a error message:

Which isn't an error but just an informative message telling you that the camera is using some proprietary TIFF tags that GIMP and libtiff don't recognize. So there might be some information there that is being lost when you open the file in GIMP and save it again.

Well, isn't it? Looking at the print size doesn't make any sense since it depends on the print resolution that is being set. Instead, check out how many pixels there are.

Sven