RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Unrecognized scanner on Mac

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Unrecognized scanner on Mac uberclimber 03 May 02:35
  Unrecognized scanner on Mac Ross Martinek 05 May 12:36
2016-05-03 02:35:57 UTC (almost 8 years ago)
postings

Hi, first-time user and GIMP newbie here. I'm trying to get GIMP to recognise my scanner, a Canon MG6130 inkjet printer-scanner. I'm on a Macbook Pro using OSX10.10, and I'm using GIMP 2.8.14. I've been to the Canon website and downloaded the latest drivers (for both printer and scanner functions). When I click File>Create in GIMP, I don't get the Scanner/Camera option. Not sure what else I should try. Having installed the drivers, is there something else needed? A restart, maybe? Any advice would be appreciated.

Ross Martinek
2016-05-05 12:36:18 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

According to The Book of GIMP by Olivier Lecarme and Karine Delvare, you need a plugin called “XSane” for GIMP to communicate with the scanner. I thoroughly recommend this book to any beginner with GIMP.

I haven’t tried using my Canon scanner directly into GIMP. Usually I just use the scanner software, then open the file in GIMP. But if they recommend that plugin, that’s what I’d use if I were going to do so.

It’s never a bad idea to repair permissions and restart after installing new hardware or software, especially drivers. Sometimes it takes more than once for the system to “find all its paws.” =^}

Also, you didn’t state what year your Macbook Pro was. If it’s an older one, like mine, you will benefit greatly by upgrading to an OWC (OtherWorld Computing) SSD and installing newer (faster) RAM. Don’t buy any other brand except Apple. According to my local Apple Certified Tech, he’s had nothing but trouble with Samsung and a few other brands. OWC is made to Apple specs and has a better warranty. The RAM warranty is lifetime. I had no end of problems until I did this, both hardware and software. Now I have none.

Ross

On May 2, 2016, at 9:35 PM, uberclimber wrote:

Hi, first-time user and GIMP newbie here. I'm trying to get GIMP to recognise my scanner, a Canon MG6130 inkjet printer-scanner. I'm on a Macbook Pro using OSX10.10, and I'm using GIMP 2.8.14. I've been to the Canon website and downloaded the latest drivers (for both printer and scanner functions). When I click File>Create in GIMP, I don't get the Scanner/Camera option. Not sure what else I should try. Having installed the drivers, is there something else needed? A restart, maybe? Any advice would be appreciated.

-- uberclimber (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list