RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Change the UI size?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

26 of 26 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Change the UI size? DAWO 25 Mar 09:57
  Change the UI size? Kevin Payne 26 Mar 07:30
   Change the UI size? DAWO 26 Mar 10:58
    Change the UI size? Kevin Payne 26 Mar 23:52
     Change the UI size? DAWO 27 Mar 07:49
      Change the UI size? Jehan Pagès 01 Apr 18:20
       Change the UI size? Kevin Payne 01 Apr 18:43
       Change the UI size? Belthazor 01 Dec 11:02
   Change the UI size? dhrisrael 17 Dec 08:58
    Change the UI size? Ofnuts 17 Dec 14:09
     Change the UI size? eyegee 29 Dec 16:01
  Change the UI size? Sven Claussner 26 Mar 22:01
  Change the UI size? MJHig 09 Mar 11:48
   Change the UI size? Partha Bagchi 10 Mar 22:33
    Change the UI size? MJHig 13 Mar 09:46
    Change the UI size? whitneyland 09 Apr 20:23
     Change the UI size? whitneyland 09 Apr 20:25
      Change the UI size? Kevin Payne 11 Apr 09:40
       Change the UI size? whitneyland 18 Apr 18:04
        Change the UI size? Kevin Payne 20 Apr 14:40
    Change the UI size? jlforsha 26 Jul 05:56
     Change the UI size? pbarden 03 Aug 14:48
      Change the UI size? Alexandre Prokoudine 07 Aug 19:05
      Change the UI size? Partha Bagchi 07 Aug 19:53
       Change the UI size? L5eoneill 15 Feb 00:49
  Change the UI size? aqm 17 Jul 11:48
2016-03-25 09:57:00 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

Change the UI size?

Hi,

I have just dowloaded Gimp 2.8.16 and installed it on my Windows 10 - 64 bit PC. However, the user interface with all the icons and texts are too small for me and it is very hard to read what is on the screen. My monitor size is 3440 X 1440. Of course I can change the size of everything on the screen by using the Display settings in Windows 10 and set the slider to, say, 150%. But then ALL applications and windows on the screen get bigger, even if I do not want them to.

Is there a way to customize the size of textlabels, toobars, icons etc in the user interface of GIMP?

Thanks!

Kevin Payne
2016-03-26 07:30:03 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Change the UI size?

There are future plans to allow users to allow easier control over the icon sizes etc, but at the moment it can be done using add-on themes.

You will find links to some themes that I have made that use bigger icons (either 32x32 or 48x48) that others have found useful here: http://gimpforums.com/thread-large-size-icons-themes

Kevin

Sent: 25 March 2016 09:57
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Change the UI size?

Hi,

I have just dowloaded Gimp 2.8.16 and installed it on my Windows 10 - 64 bit PC.
However, the user interface with all the icons and texts are too small for me
and it is very hard to read what is on the screen. My monitor size is 3440 X
1440. Of course I can change the size of everything on the screen by using the
Display settings in Windows 10 and set the slider to, say, 150%. But then ALL
applications and windows on the screen get bigger, even if I do not want them
to.

Is there a way to customize the size of textlabels, toobars, icons etc in the
user interface of GIMP?

Thanks!

--
DAWO (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
2016-03-26 10:58:35 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

Change the UI size?

There are future plans to allow users to allow easier control over the icon sizes etc, but at the moment it can be done using add-on themes.

You will find links to some themes that I have made that use bigger icons (either 32x32 or 48x48) that others have found useful here: http://gimpforums.com/thread-large-size-icons-themes

Kevin

Thank you very much, Kevin!

It might be a good idea, for users like me, to explain how to go about installing the theme. As I did not realize that these were zipped files, I started off by just putting the downloaded color theme and symbolic theme files in what I thought would be the right folder, but, understandably nothing happened. I then did a search on the file suffix in order to find out that they were 7zip-files. I have now downloaded and instlled 7zip, and unzipped the files and I now have a folder named "Color-48" with several subfolders and files in it, but I am uncertain what to do? Should I place the WHOLE folder as it is in the Themes folder? Or just some of the files? And on my Windows 10 PC, I found one Gimp Themes folder in "C-> User-> Dag -> .gim-2.9-> themes" would that be the correct folder?

Regards,

Dag

Sven Claussner
2016-03-26 22:01:48 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Change the UI size?

Hi,

On 25.3.2016 at 10:57 AM Dawo wrote:

Is there a way to customize the size of textlabels, toobars, icons etc in the user interface of GIMP?

The preview sizes in resource dialogs like Patterns, Brushes etc. can be changed in their respective dockable dialogs.

Greetings

Sven

Kevin Payne
2016-03-26 23:52:14 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Change the UI size?

Dag,

Sorry I haven't explained in more detail what to do with the .7z files.

Yes, you need to put the Color-48 folder (containing all the subfolders) into your personal GIMP profile Themes folder (C:\Users\Dag\.gimp-2.8\Themes).

BUT - you're using a GIMP 2.9.? version? If you have the option in your Edit>>Preferences>>Icon Theme, then the theme you have downloaded is not going to work.

With 2.9.3.???, Icon Themes now control which icons you get BUT the theme controls which size icons, and as far as I know, no-one has made a suitable pair that specify and supply larger size icons. Quite frankly, it's a mess at the moment.

Kevin

Sent: 26 March 2016 10:58
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com

>There are future plans to allow users to allow easier control over the
>icon sizes etc, but at the moment it can be done using add-on themes.
>
>You will find links to some themes that I have made that use bigger
>icons (either 32x32 or 48x48) that others have found useful here:
>http://gimpforums.com/thread-large-size-icons-themes
>
>Kevin

Thank you very much, Kevin!

It might be a good idea, for users like me, to explain how to go about
installing the theme. As I did not realize that these were zipped files, I
started off by just putting the downloaded color theme and symbolic theme files
in what I thought would be the right folder, but, understandably nothing
happened. I then did a search on the file suffix in order to find out that they
were 7zip-files. I have now downloaded and instlled 7zip, and unzipped the files
and I now have a folder named "Color-48" with several subfolders and files in
it, but I am uncertain what to do? Should I place the WHOLE folder as it is in
the Themes folder? Or just some of the files? And on my Windows 10 PC, I found
one Gimp Themes folder in "C-> User-> Dag -> .gim-2.9-> themes" would that be
the correct folder?

Regards,

Dag

--
2016-03-27 07:49:25 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

Change the UI size?

BUT - you're using a GIMP 2.9.? version? If you have the option in your Edit>>Preferences>>Icon Theme, then the theme you have downloaded is not going to work.

Thanks again, Kevin!

The version I downloaded and installed, is 2.8.16, so I will go ahead and try your icons. It seems that this is a problem for others as well which a quick search with Google verified. And I think it should be one of the most prioritized issues for the Gimp developer community as it “accessibility” defines who can use the software, and who cannot.2

Jehan Pagès
2016-04-01 18:20:54 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Change the UI size?

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 9:49 AM, DAWO wrote:

Thanks again, Kevin!

The version I downloaded and installed, is 2.8.16, so I will go ahead and try your icons. It seems that this is a problem for others as well which a quick search with Google verified. And I think it should be one of the most prioritized issues for the Gimp developer community as it “accessibility” defines who can use the software, and who cannot.2

I agree, since I am working on the icon size customization (the "future plans" Kevin told about earlier). Though I must say it's not easy to prioritize and see what others are going through because I don't have access to any HiDPI screen, not even to test, even less for my own daily use.

I have also a question, about when you say that text is also too small. From what I understood, GIMP should simply follow whatever text size settings your operating system is configured with. Are you saying that font size is bigger everywhere else but not in GIMP? I think this should not happen (but once again, I can hardly test myself without such a screen).
Thanks.

Jehan

--
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot
Kevin Payne
2016-04-01 18:43:43 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Change the UI size?

Jehan: re font-size

The font size can be controlled by the theme, but to judge from this post, there may be some operating system/window manager effects as well: http://gimpforums.com/thread-new-default-double-theme-for-uhd-4k-sp4?pid=47087#pid47087
Maybe it's seeing "14 point" and deciding that as it's a high dpi screen, it needs to be drawn bigger. I also don't have a high dpi monitor so this is all speculation.

Kevin

Sent: 01 April 2016 19:20
To: DAWO
Cc: gimp-user-list@gnome.org; notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Change the UI size?

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 9:49 AM, DAWO  wrote:
>
>>
>>BUT - you're using a GIMP 2.9.? version? If you have the option in
>>your Edit>>Preferences>>Icon Theme, then the theme you have downloaded
>>is not going to work.
>
> Thanks again, Kevin!
>
> The version I downloaded and installed, is 2.8.16, so I will go ahead and try
> your icons. It seems that this is a problem for others as well which a quick
> search with Google verified. And I think it should be one of the most
> prioritized issues for the Gimp developer community as it accessibility
> defines who can use the software, and who cannot.2

I agree, since I am working on the icon size customization (the
"future plans" Kevin told about earlier). Though I must say it's not
easy to prioritize and see what others are going through because I
don't have access to any HiDPI screen, not even to test, even less for
my own daily use.

I have also a question, about when you say that text is also too
small. From what I understood, GIMP should simply follow whatever text
size settings your operating system is configured with. Are you saying
that font size is bigger everywhere else but not in GIMP? I think this
should not happen (but once again, I can hardly test myself without
such a screen).
Thanks.

Jehan

> --
> DAWO (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

--
ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot
2016-12-01 11:02:08 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Change the UI size?

Hi,

sorry to revive this "old" thread. I stumbled across it while searching for a solution to this problem, too.

I am using / testing this workaround for now: https://blog.brankovucinec.com/2016/03/19/fix-remote-desktop-dpi-scaling-issues/

Hi,
I agree, since I am working on the icon size customization (the "future plans" Kevin told about earlier). Though I must say it's not easy to prioritize and see what others are going through because I don't have access to any HiDPI screen, not even to test, even less for my own daily use.

I have also a question, about when you say that text is also too small. From what I understood, GIMP should simply follow whatever text size settings your operating system is configured with. Are you saying that font size is bigger everywhere else but not in GIMP? I think this should not happen (but once again, I can hardly test myself without such a screen).
Thanks.

Jehan

On my Surface 4 Pro with the highest resolution Windows set the scaling to about 200% automatically. Maybe that is part of the problem.

Best regards, Jan

2016-12-17 08:58:32 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Change the UI size?

Kevin

Hi Kevin the link you provided for themes is not working and I have similar problems as DAWO. The icons in toolbox are so small you can hardly see they're even there or what they are. My displays default is 3840 X 2160, however I've tried lowering to 1920 X1080 and still no change. Everything else on my PC is large except the pesky icons. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ofnuts
2016-12-17 14:09:34 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Change the UI size?

On 17/12/16 09:58, dhrisrael wrote:

Kevin

Hi Kevin the link you provided for themes is not working and I have similar problems as DAWO. The icons in toolbox are so small you can hardly see they're even there or what they are. My displays default is 3840 X 2160, however I've tried lowering to 1920 X1080 and still no change. Everything else on my PC is large except the pesky icons.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

GimpForums.com is dead. Try here instead:

http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-GIMP-2-8-Large-size-Icons-Themes

2016-12-29 16:01:49 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Change the UI size?

GimpForums.com is dead. Try here instead:

http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-GIMP-2-8-Large-size-Icons-Themes

I am having the same problem with the toolbox icons appearing too small to be useable, ever since switching from an HP using Windows 10 to a SUrf.ace Pro 4 in Octovber 2016.

To try to fix the problem this week, I upgraded to gimp 2.8.16 (from 2.8.14) Downloaded the themes, Symbolic - Big 32, & Symbolic - Big 48. Opened Gimp and under preferences chose one of the new themes, then the other.

The toolbox remains the same size. I already have the my display scaling at 250%

I know this is an ongoing promlem, but if I'm missing something that would help, please advise.

2017-03-09 11:48:39 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Change the UI size?

Hi,

I have just dowloaded Gimp 2.8.16 and installed it on my Windows 10 - 64 bit PC. However, the user interface with all the icons and texts are too small for me and it is very hard to read what is on the screen. My monitor size is 3440 X 1440. Of course I can change the size of everything on the screen by using the Display settings in Windows 10 and set the slider to, say, 150%. But then ALL applications and windows on the screen get bigger, even if I do not want them to.

Thanks!

I've been searching for a solution to this for several releases and still no joy. Gimp DOES NOT follow Windows scaling or text size convention no matter what scale or text size. I have to work in Gimp with the Magnifyer and still my eyes are bleeding after a few minutes. My resolution is 1920x1080, the screenshot below is with Windows (10) scaling at 125% (I've tried them all) and the font size is set to 14. You can see the results in Thunderbird on the right following Windows but Gimp on the left does not. I've tried all the themes I can find and none of them are larger fonts either.

Partha Bagchi
2017-03-10 22:33:57 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Change the UI size?

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 6:48 AM, MJHig wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

I've been searching for a solution to this for several releases and still no
joy. Gimp DOES NOT follow Windows scaling or text size convention no matter what
scale or text size. I have to work in Gimp with the Magnifyer and still my eyes
are bleeding after a few minutes. My resolution is 1920x1080, the screenshot
below is with Windows (10) scaling at 125% (I've tried them all) and the font
size is set to 14. You can see the results in Thunderbird on the right following
Windows but Gimp on the left does not. I've tried all the themes I can find and
none of them are larger fonts either.

Attachments: * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/504/ original/Gimp_font_screenshot.png

--

I think I have answered this multiple times including in bold letters on

my website. The answer is slightly complicated but not overtly so.

You can do one of 2 things:

1. If you are using 2.9 series on Windows 8 or above 64bit, you can download my GIMP build from my website and all will be well.

2. If you don't wish to do the above, do the following. Please note that this involves editing your registry. If you don't know what that is or not comfortable doing so, then you should ask some expert to do it for you. In either case, please be sure to backup your registry just in case. This procedure should not affect any other application and create a problem. So, here goes:

a. Make the following addition to your registry. Go to Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > SideBySide. Add the following (NEW) DWORD: PreferExternalManifest, Value = 1.

b. Download the following manifest https:/ www.partha.com/temp/gimp.exe.manifest. It's an XML file that tells Windows that GIMP is not DPI aware. Please make sure when you download that there are no extraneous extensions added by your browser. Save this file in the same folder as your gimp.exe binary. If the GIMP binary is gimp-2.9.exe then change the manifest filename to gimp-2.9.exe.manifest. Again, it must reside in the same folder as the GIMP binary.

If you are using GIMP 2.8 series, make the appropriate change.

Now restart GIMP and all should be fine.

I'd even posted a screenshot on my website of GIMP 2.9 running on my 17 inch 4k laptop to demonstrate this.

Hope this helps. If not please send me an email.

Thanks, Partha
www.partha.com

2017-03-13 09:46:07 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Change the UI size?

1. If you are using 2.9 series on Windows 8 or above 64bit, you can download my GIMP build from my website and all will be well.

2. If you don't wish to do the above, do the following. Please note that
this involves editing your registry. If you don't know what that is or not
comfortable doing so, then you should ask some expert to do it for you. In
either case, please be sure to backup your registry just in case. This procedure should not affect any other application and create a problem. So,
here goes:

a. Make the following addition to your registry. Go to Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > SideBySide. Add the following (NEW) DWORD: PreferExternalManifest, Value =

b. Download the following manifest https:/ www.partha.com/temp/gimp.exe.manifest. It's an XML file that tells Windows
that GIMP is not DPI aware. Please make sure when you download that there
are no extraneous extensions added by your browser. Save this file in the
same folder as your gimp.exe binary. If the GIMP binary is gimp-2.9.exe
then change the manifest filename to gimp-2.9.exe.manifest. Again, it must
reside in the same folder as the GIMP binary.

I'd even posted a screenshot on my website of GIMP 2.9 running on my 17
inch 4k laptop to demonstrate this.

Thanks, Partha
www.partha.com

EXCELLENT!!!

Thanks so much Partha, I followed method 2 as I'm still using 8.2 and all appears well. Gimp loaded very slow scanning over again the first launch causing concern but subsequent launch was normal and followed Windows DPI scaling, thanks again.

MJ

2017-04-09 20:23:52 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Change the UI size?

What would it take to be able to improve font readability in the UI? The image url below gives a few examples of what's possible. Please understand, for many people Gimp would only start to be usable with the large option shown.

http://i.imgur.com/VtIaxX7.png

Lee

2017-04-09 20:25:43 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Change the UI size?

Pardon the double post, I forgot the mention I've already searched for answers, looked for themes, downloaded 2.82 and 2.95, read the entire thread on UI size, etc.

thanks

Kevin Payne
2017-04-11 09:40:21 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Change the UI size?

From: gimp-user-list on behalf of whitneyland > Sent: 09 April 2017 21:25
Pardon the double post, I forgot the mention I've already searched for answers, looked for themes, downloaded 2.82 and 2.95, read the entire thread on UI size, etc.

whitneyland (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

I'm curious what this "thread on UI size" is, can you please provide a link.

It's perfectly possible for a theme to specify which font to use, see this post on GimpChat for example: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10531#p139086

So I'd suggest you pick a theme you'd like to use and edit it to use the font that you would prefer.

regards

Kevin

2017-04-18 18:04:07 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Change the UI size?

Thanks for your reply. Follow up questions:

1) You don't don't believe adding an option for a larger font size to the base product as part of the default install, is a high enough priority relative to the backlog to merit near term consideration? Anecdotally there seem to be a lot of requests for it. Please consider this is not a convenience, or a time saving feature. A significant amount of users are simply not functional with an 8pt font.

2) Regarding your suggestion: I'm not sure it would be easy, but if the team is willing to consider (1) then I am willing to help in modifying a theme and possibly code if required.

The reason it could take some work is that when more real estate is needed sometimes there are careful considerations required to get the needed space without disrupting the existing balance and form and the UI. But you never know, we could get lucky and have it be easy.

3) The thread I refer to is the current one for this message. In case you are following from a mailing list the URL is http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/18002-change-the-ui-size.

I'm curious what this "thread on UI size" is, can you please provide a link.

It's perfectly possible for a theme to specify which font to use, see this post on GimpChat for example:
http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10531#p139086

So I'd suggest you pick a theme you'd like to use and edit it to use the font that you would prefer.

regards

Kevin

Kevin Payne
2017-04-20 14:40:38 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Change the UI size?

1) You don't don't believe adding an option for a larger font size to the base product as part of the default install, is a high enough priority relative to the backlog to merit near term consideration? Anecdotally there seem to be a lot of requests for it. Please consider this is not a convenience, or a time saving feature. A significant amount of users are simply not functional with an 8pt font.

With my larger themes for 2.8 I was asked to NOT set the font by some users because the operating system/window manager is setting the font independently of GIMP. I believe the same is true of the 2.9 themes, where the font-size setting is present but commented out of the gtkrc files.

So the way forward is a small piece of documentation to explain how to edit the theme gtkrc file for those users who need to change it.

3) The thread I refer to is the current one for this message. In case you are following from a mailing list the URL is http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/18002-change-the-ui-size.

Ah - you have that backwards. The web-site you refer to (gimpusers.com) has parasitically attached itself to the gimp-user mailing list and is not the source of the messages.

regards

Kevin

2017-07-17 11:48:58 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Change the UI size?

Hi,
I head the same problem on my Surface Book (3200 x 2000). Following these steps helped me:

From: https://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/

Tell windows to prefer an external manifest file

As always, make sure you backup your registry (in regedit, go on file > export > select all > and save the backupfile) and tread lightly in this area. We are just going to add one line.

1. Press  Windows Button + R, type “regedit”, and then click OK. 2. Navigate to the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > SideBySide 3. Right-click, select NEW > DWORD (32 bit) Value 4. Type PreferExternalManifest, and then press ENTER. 5. Right-click PreferExternalManifest, and then click Modify. 6. Enter Value Data 1 and select Decimal. 7. Click OK. Exit Registry Editor.

If on your windows the name extensions are not displayed do following steps (for windows 10):

1. In the Explorer click on View 2. Select the checkbox for "Fileextensions"

Then use the attached file or create by yourself: Therefor create a Textfile in the Folder where gimp is installed, named: gimp-2.8.exe.manifest. (Maybe you need Administrator rights, so create the File on your desktop and copy it to the folder after it)

Put following text into that file and save it.

-----------------------

false

-----------------------

Now you should be able to start Gimp with normal scaling.

Hope it helps,

Aamer.

Hi,

Thanks!

2017-07-26 05:56:08 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Change the UI size?

Thanks, Partha! Worked like a charm! I'll take a look at this manifest file and see if I can modify it for a couple of other programs I've run into this problem with. Seems to be a common Surface issue.

2. If you don't wish to do the above, do the following. Please note that
this involves editing your registry. If you don't know what that is or not
comfortable doing so, then you should ask some expert to do it for you. In
either case, please be sure to backup your registry just in case. This procedure should not affect any other application and create a problem. So,
here goes:

a. Make the following addition to your registry. Go to Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > SideBySide. Add the following (NEW) DWORD: PreferExternalManifest, Value =

b. Download the following manifest https:/ www.partha.com/temp/gimp.exe.manifest. It's an XML file that tells Windows
that GIMP is not DPI aware. Please make sure when you download that there
are no extraneous extensions added by your browser. Save this file in the
same folder as your gimp.exe binary. If the GIMP binary is gimp-2.9.exe
then change the manifest filename to gimp-2.9.exe.manifest. Again, it must
reside in the same folder as the GIMP binary.

I'd even posted a screenshot on my website of GIMP 2.9 running on my 17
inch 4k laptop to demonstrate this.

Thanks, Partha
www.partha.com

2017-08-03 14:48:08 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Change the UI size?

Thanks, Partha! Worked like a charm! I'll take a look at this manifest file and see if I can modify it for a couple of other programs I've run into this problem with. Seems to be a common Surface issue.

I also have a Surface Pro 4 but the issue is only with GIMP, not with PS or any other application. GIMPs UI is so zoomed in that I can barely make out the text, much less hover over anything an click. I also tried the above "solution" but that definitely wasn't a fix for me. The large icons are a plus but this is pretty far from user friendly. The current Linux build has no issues and this issue actually does persist outside of the Surface and on my other Windows 10 PC. Is there any intention on making this program usable for Windows?

Alexandre Prokoudine
2017-08-07 19:05:02 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Change the UI size?

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 5:48 PM, pbarden wrote:

Is there any intention on making this program usable for Windows?

Yes, there definitely is some intention to fix GIMP for Hi-DPI displays.

Alex

Partha Bagchi
2017-08-07 19:53:05 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Change the UI size?

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 10:48 AM, pbarden wrote:

I also have a Surface Pro 4 but the issue is only with GIMP, not with PS or any
other application. GIMPs UI is so zoomed in that I can barely make out the text,
much less hover over anything an click. I also tried the above "solution" but
that definitely wasn't a fix for me. The large icons are a plus but this is pretty far from user friendly. The current Linux build has no issues and this
issue actually does persist outside of the Surface and on my other Windows 10
PC. Is there any intention on making this program usable for Windows?

Since you put the solution is "quotes", I assume somehow the solution failed you? You provide no information on what failed for you. You claim that Linux has no issues and the issue persists on your other Windows 10 machine.

I have a 4k 17" laptop and the solution is just fine on my machine. If you see my website, I have screenshots provided. Perhaps you can provide a screenshot and tell us exactly what you tried?

Thanks, Partha

2018-02-15 00:49:06 UTC (about 6 years ago)
postings

Change the UI size?

Since you put the solution is "quotes", I assume somehow the solution failed you? You provide no information on what failed for you. You claim
that Linux has no issues and the issue persists on your other Windows 10
machine.

I have a 4k 17" laptop and the solution is just fine on my machine. If you
see my website, I have screenshots provided. Perhaps you can provide a screenshot and tell us exactly what you tried?

Thanks, Partha

Sorry to say, now in 2018, that this did nothing for my GIMP: I'm on Windows 10 Pro, hi-dpi display and the registry + manifest solution seems to have made absolutely zero difference in the usability (sizes of icons and text) in GIMP. My version is 2.8.22.