RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Create hyperlinked image

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Create hyperlinked image will48 15 Mar 17:09
  Create hyperlinked image Steve Kinney 16 Mar 23:09
   Create hyperlinked image will48 17 Mar 09:38
  Create hyperlinked image Liam R. E. Quin 17 Mar 06:03
   Create hyperlinked image will48 17 Mar 09:36
2016-03-15 17:09:24 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

Create hyperlinked image

Hi,

I would like to know how to create a hyperlinked image with Gimp. I have seen a video demonstrating how to do it using photoshop, so I would like to know how to do it with Gimp.

Firstly, can I say that I don't want to create an image map. I just want to apply a hyperlink to a single image.

Secondly, I'm a Wordpress user, so yes I know it's easy to link to a single image in the text dialogue box, but I want to embed/fix a permanet link to an image that can be downloaded and shared with the link remaining active.

Finally, I would really appreciate any help and assistance with this question.

Thanks,

Will48

PS. Currently using Gimp 2.8

Steve Kinney
2016-03-16 23:09:27 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Create hyperlinked image

On 03/15/2016 01:09 PM, will48 wrote:

Hi,

I would like to know how to create a hyperlinked image with Gimp. I have seen a video demonstrating how to do it using photoshop, so I would like to know how to do it with Gimp.

Firstly, can I say that I don't want to create an image map. I just want to apply a hyperlink to a single image.

Secondly, I'm a Wordpress user, so yes I know it's easy to link to a single image in the text dialogue box, but I want to embed/fix a permanet link to an image that can be downloaded and shared with the link remaining active.

Finally, I would really appreciate any help and assistance with this question.

Old Chinese proverb: "That is no problem, it is impossible."

When a web browser or other HTML aware program downloads a document that contains instructions to display pictures (via IMG tags in the HTML document), it requests the said images from the web server and displays them as part of the rendered page.

If the IMG tag is nested inside a hyperlink (HREF tag) in the HTML document, that image becomes a "clickable link." Javascript can be involved in cases where different images are called every time the page is loaded, for fade-in effects etc., or in response to a user command - but again, the images themselves do not contain links or web addresses.

In theory, an image file could have a hyperlink embedded in its metadata as a comment field. In theory, web browsers could read and interpret a hyperlink embedded in an image. But in practice, none do. I don't even know of a proposal for this.

The closest approximation I can think of would be to include a short URL in the visible content of the image, enabling users to key in the indicated address.

Searching the Internet, I do find "how to" articles by people who seem to confuse creating image maps - HTML code for making specific parts of images displayed /by/ a particular web page clickable links via code in the HTML document - with embedding links in the image files themselves. I would guess this is click-bait hastily assembled by someone who does not understand HTML, cutting and pasting from other articles.

Liam R. E. Quin
2016-03-17 06:03:27 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Create hyperlinked image

On Tue, 2016-03-15 at 18:09 +0100, will48 wrote:

I would like to know how to create a hyperlinked image with Gimp.

One way might be to save the image, e.g. as jpeg or png, and then embed it into an SVG image using Inkscape, and add the link there.

If someone extracts the bitmap image from the SVG image the link will be lost of course.

You can also include a URL e.g. as a JPEG or PNG comment in an image with GIMP, and then use e.g. jpegtran or exiftool commands to extract it later.

Liam

Liam R. E. Quin 
2016-03-17 09:36:30 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

Create hyperlinked image

One way might be to save the image, e.g. as jpeg or png, and then embed
it into an SVG image using Inkscape, and add the link there.

If someone extracts the bitmap image from the SVG image the link will be lost of course.

You can also include a URL e.g. as a JPEG or PNG comment in an image with GIMP, and then use e.g. jpegtran or exiftool commands to extract it later.

Liam

Hi Liam,

Thanks for your reply

2016-03-17 09:38:13 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

Create hyperlinked image

Old Chinese proverb: "That is no problem, it is impossible."

When a web browser or other HTML aware program downloads a document that contains instructions to display pictures (via IMG tags in the HTML document), it requests the said images from the web server and displays them as part of the rendered page.

If the IMG tag is nested inside a hyperlink (HREF tag) in the HTML document, that image becomes a "clickable link." Javascript can be involved in cases where different images are called every time the page is loaded, for fade-in effects etc., or in response to a user command - but again, the images themselves do not contain links or web addresses.

In theory, an image file could have a hyperlink embedded in its metadata as a comment field. In theory, web browsers could read and interpret a hyperlink embedded in an image. But in practice, none do. I don't even know of a proposal for this.

The closest approximation I can think of would be to include a short URL in the visible content of the image, enabling users to key in the indicated address.

Searching the Internet, I do find "how to" articles by people who seem to confuse creating image maps - HTML code for making specific parts of images displayed /by/ a particular web page clickable links via code in the HTML document - with embedding links in the image files themselves. I would guess this is click-bait hastily assembled by someone who does not understand HTML, cutting and pasting from other articles.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.