RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

opening tiff, new crop tool

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

opening tiff, new crop tool Laszlo 05 Nov 01:36
  opening tiff, new crop tool Sven Neumann 05 Nov 09:50
   opening tiff, new crop tool Laszlo 05 Nov 11:03
   opening tiff, new crop tool John Culleton 05 Nov 13:14
  opening tiff, new crop tool Alan Horkan 06 Nov 01:58
Laszlo
2004-11-05 01:36:45 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi!

I have just two additional remark for the 2.2pre1

The new crop tool is just good, but there is some refresh problem. Especially if I shrink my crop-area, there is some pixel-trash. For precise work is really annoying.
Is it a know issue? If i was not clear I can submit a screenshot from it.

I have a .tiff image that theGimp don't handle good. So theGimp load the file, but display as blank. I thinked the .tiff contain just an empty layer. Then I have successfully opened this .tiff file with photoshop 7.0. Can it be fixed? (is there somebody correspondant the .tiff file open plugin?)
Should I make disponible the .tiff image on the web? (1.8MB) Can it help?

Best regards,
Khiraly

Sven Neumann
2004-11-05 09:50:29 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Laszlo writes:

The new crop tool is just good, but there is some refresh problem. Especially if I shrink my crop-area, there is some pixel-trash. For precise work is really annoying. Is it a know issue? If i was not clear I can submit a screenshot from it.

Known issue, fixed in CVS.

I have a .tiff image that theGimp don't handle good. So theGimp load the file, but display as blank. I thinked the .tiff contain just an empty layer. Then I have successfully opened this .tiff file with photoshop 7.0. Can it be fixed? (is there somebody correspondant the .tiff file open plugin?) Should I make disponible the .tiff image on the web? (1.8MB)

It would help if you searched Bugzilla for it and, unless the same problem has been reported before, opened a bug report for it. The TIFF format is rather complex and GIMP doesn't support all features of it. There are also quite a bunch of application-specific extensions which can be considered proprietary. If your image is using those, there is little chance that you will be able to open it in anything else but the application that created it.

Sven

Laszlo
2004-11-05 11:03:06 UTC (over 19 years ago)

2004-11-05, p keltezéssel 09:50-kor Sven Neumann ezt írta:

Known issue, fixed in CVS.

Super! Im waiting for the next pre-release.

I have a .tiff image that theGimp don't handle good. So theGimp load the file, but display as blank. I thinked the .tiff contain just an empty layer. Then I have successfully opened this .tiff file with photoshop 7.0. Can it be fixed? (is there somebody correspondant the .tiff file open plugin?) Should I make disponible the .tiff image on the web? (1.8MB)

It would help if you searched Bugzilla for it and, unless the same problem has been reported before, opened a bug report for it. The TIFF format is rather complex and GIMP doesn't support all features of it. There are also quite a bunch of application-specific extensions which can be considered proprietary. If your image is using those, there is little chance that you will be able to open it in anything else but the application that created it.

I think this .tiff file was created by Photoshop. My problem is very similar to the bugreport #154715
Just a little difference, there is marked, that Gimp have problem with the non-standard tiff extension how photoshop creat the .tiff files (so multilayered images).

My image have just one layer. But I think the same problem that I have, what the original reporter had (filled this bugreport.)

Best regards, Khiraly

John Culleton
2004-11-05 13:14:50 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Friday 05 November 2004 03:50, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

. The TIFF

format is rather complex and GIMP doesn't support all features of it. There are also quite a bunch of application-specific extensions which can be considered proprietary. If your image is using those, there is little chance that you will be able to open it in anything else but the application that created it.

Sven

Just FYI, the typesetting program pdftex (part of the TeX typesetting suite) has dropped support for Tiff files for just this reason. There are too many competing variants out there. As of now regular TeX and LaTeX support Encapsulated PostScript only and pdftex/pdflatex support PNG, JPEG and PDF format (the latter is easily derivable from PostScript files via a utility.)

Printers however still accept Tiff files for cover art etc. Go figure!

Alan Horkan
2004-11-06 01:58:15 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Laszlo wrote:

Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:36:45 +0100 From: Laszlo
To: Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: [Gimp-user] opening tiff, new crop tool

Hi!

The new crop tool is just good, but there is some refresh problem. Especially if I shrink my crop-area, there is some pixel-trash. For precise work is really annoying.
Is it a know issue? If i was not clear I can submit a screenshot from it.

I saw the same issue, create crop 'selection' and scroll the image and you will see that the crop lines stay fixed relative to the image where they should be but the grey mask moves with you.

I have a .tiff image that theGimp don't handle good. So theGimp load the file, but display as blank. I thinked the .tiff contain just an empty layer. Then I have successfully opened this .tiff file with photoshop 7.0. Can it be fixed? (is there somebody correspondant the .tiff file open plugin?)

Resaving it with different options might help, I had problems before with Adobe Tiff files which I think went away when I stripped out the XMP metadata or some other extensions the gimp didn't recognise or couldn't ignore.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/ Inkscape, Draw Freely http://inkscape.org Free SVG Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org