RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Send to back???

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

311171496.9778394.145634688... 27 Feb 09:40
  Send to back??? Darryl Baker 24 Feb 20:48
   Send to back??? ugajin@talktalk.net 27 Feb 11:47
   Send to back??? gimp-users.mbourne@spamgourmet.com 27 Feb 15:32
   Send to back??? Rick Strong 27 Feb 18:01
Darryl Baker
2016-02-24 20:48:07 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Send to back???

Hi, I am probably not sending this to the correct forum but maybe I will find someone who knows the answer.  I am trying to send a selection behind another part of the image.  In other graphics programs all you have to do is select "send to back" and viola.  I don't understand why the gimp developers could not make their program just as intuitive.  Can you please tell me how to do this in GIMP or direct me to the people who have the answer. Thank you, Darryl

ugajin@talktalk.net
2016-02-27 11:47:58 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Send to back???

This might not be what you are looking for, but it may help:

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-using-selections.html#gimp-using-selections-moving

----Original Message----
Date: 24/02/2016 20:48
To: "gimp-user-list@gnome.org"
Subj: [Gimp-user] Send to back???

Hi, I am probably not sending this to the correct forum but maybe I

will find someone who knows the answer.  I am trying to send a selection behind another part of the image.  In other graphics programs all you have to do is select "send to back" and viola.  I don't understand why the gimp developers could not make their program just as intuitive.  Can you please tell me how to do this in GIMP or direct me to the people who have the answer.

Thank you, Darryl
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

gimp-users.mbourne@spamgourmet.com
2016-02-27 15:32:41 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Send to back???

Darryl Baker wrote:

Hi, I am probably not sending this to the correct forum but maybe I will find someone who knows the answer. I am trying to send a selection behind another part of the image. In other graphics programs all you have to do is select "send to back" and viola. I don't understand why the gimp developers could not make their program just as intuitive. Can you please tell me how to do this in GIMP or direct me to the people who have the answer. Thank you, Darryl

I think you'd need to put the selected part on a separate layer, then move that layer down the layer stack. But unless the part you're trying to move is already on a separate layer, you'd end up with a gap in the original image which you'd need to fill in.

You don't mention which particular "other graphics programs" you're comparing to, but it sounds like they're probably vector editors like Inkscape, MS Visio or LibreOffice Draw. With those, each rectangle, circle, line, etc. is a separate object which can overlap others and be in front or behind them. GIMP is a raster editor, dealing with setting the colour and transparency of pixels rather than vector objects. If you draw a red square, then draw blue square overlapping it, some of the pixels which were set to red when drawing the red square are changed to blue to form the blue square (unless you put the blue square on a separate layer). You can't move either square to uncover the rest of the red square, because they don't exist as separate objects.

Mark.

Rick Strong
2016-02-27 18:01:29 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Send to back???

Darryl,

- make a transparent layer - put your selection on that transparent layer - move that layer down (or up) by using the layer dialog on RHS, or, - see Menu > Layer > Stack

Remember, if your base layer is not transparent moving another layer underneath it will cover up the lower layer.

Cheers, Rick

-----Original Message----- From: Darryl Baker
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 3:48 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] Send to back???

Hi, I am probably not sending this to the correct forum but maybe I will find someone who knows the answer. I am trying to send a selection behind another part of the image. In other graphics programs all you have to do is select "send to back" and viola. I don't understand why the gimp developers could not make their program just as intuitive. Can you please tell me how to do this in GIMP or direct me to the people who have the answer. Thank you, Darryl