RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Applying Filter ?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Applying Filter ? Richard 03 Nov 06:22
  Applying Filter ? Carol Spears 03 Nov 07:30
  Applying Filter ? David Neary 03 Nov 15:05
Richard
2004-11-03 06:22:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Applying Filter ?

Just started using Gimp about a week ago, and I must say, its nice.

Now, have a question: if I shot in B&W (via digital camera), wouldn't that give me a better image, to work with in Gimp, instead of converting it to Grey Scale?

Tks - Rick

:-\

Carol Spears
2004-11-03 07:30:32 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Applying Filter ?

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 12:22:02AM -0500, Richard wrote:

Just started using Gimp about a week ago, and I must say, its nice.

Now, have a question: if I shot in B&W (via digital camera), wouldn't that give me a better image, to work with in Gimp, instead of converting it to Grey Scale?

i will be interested to read the real answers to this question; this is my best guess. my best guess is no.

the reason for this guess is that with a color photo you get millions of colors. i dont think there are millions of grays.

there are several ways to convert an image from color to grayscale, btw. the obvious way is with Image -->Mode -->Grayscale. another (better in my opinion) way is via Filters -->Colors -->Decompose on HSV (hue, saturuation and value). this filter gives you a three layered image with the V (value) image on the top. additional tweaking of this (with levels -- moving that middle pointer) to make better contrast can make this originally color image seem more like the old fashioned black and white developing which was what made black and white photos so cool to begin with.

some of the confusion might actually be from the film days. black and white film was of a finer grain and higher quality. i dont think this same thing is true of digital images.

once again, this is all a guess on my part.

oh, if you do need to adjust the values of your grayscale images or your decomposed images, best to convert them to rgb again: Image -->Mode -->RGB.

it is an interesting question, thanks for asking it.

carol

David Neary
2004-11-03 15:05:37 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Applying Filter ?

Hi Richard,

Richard wrote:

Now, have a question:
if I shot in B&W (via digital camera), wouldn't that give me a better image, to work with in Gimp, instead of converting it to Grey Scale?

That depends. What your camera gives you will probably be better thanb what you get by simply converting from RGB to greyscale or by desaturating the color image (these are essentially the same operation).

However, since shooting in B&W gives you less information than shooting in color, your options are limited. There is only one B&W representation that you can have. By shooting in colour and converting by had into B&W, you can play around an awful lot and get results that are much more striking. You might, for example, decompose to YUV and use the Y channel. Or to RGB and use G. Or use the channel mixer to take 60% Green, 30% Red and 10% Blue (roughly the same as converting to greyscale) Or playing around with those percentages. Or using L from an La*b* decomposition.

There are loads of ways of getting grayscale images from colour images. If you know about them, you might prefer the power you have in doing that. However, if you are just using Layer->Color->Desaturate or Image->Mode->Grayscale, the results from your camera will probably be better.

Cheers, Dave.