RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

[Fwd: How to introduce greek letters]

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

[Fwd: How to introduce greek letters] Miguel Ortiz Lombardía 01 Nov 18:09
  [Fwd: How to introduce greek letters] Steve Stavropoulos 01 Nov 23:15
   [Fwd: How to introduce greek letters] Miguel Ortiz Lombardía 01 Nov 23:54
  [Fwd: How to introduce greek letters] Sven Neumann 01 Nov 23:28
   [Fwd: How to introduce greek letters] Miguel Ortiz Lombardía 01 Nov 23:56
Miguel Ortiz Lombardía
2004-11-01 18:09:03 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I've somehow solved this myself by:

1. Opening the 'map character' application (gnome menu) 2. Selecting the "Standard Symbols L" font 3. Choosing whatever letter I want and copy it 4. Opening in Gimp the text tool
5. Selecting the "Standard Symbols L" font 6. Pasting the copied letter

This is much more complicated than it used to be. Now, I'm not sure whether this is a 'Gimp 2.0' feature or something related to Fedora Core2 / Xorg.

Does anyone know a simpler solution?

Cheers,

Miguel

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: How to introduce greek letters Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 18:38:51 +0000 From: Miguel Ortiz Lombardía
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu

I'm using gimp 2.0 under fedora core 2.

I want to introduce some greek letters but cannot find an appropriate symbol font, what should I do?

Cheers,

Miguel

Steve Stavropoulos
2004-11-01 23:15:44 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:09:03 +0000, Miguel Ortiz Lombardía wrote:

1. Opening the 'map character' application (gnome menu) 2. Selecting the "Standard Symbols L" font 3. Choosing whatever letter I want and copy it 4. Opening in Gimp the text tool

This is much more complicated than it used to be. Now, I'm not sure whether this is a 'Gimp 2.0' feature or something related to Fedora Core2 / Xorg.

Just do the steps 4 through 6. You write in english and in the image you see it in greek (it is a little bit weird, but you won't write your entire life story this way...). An alternative would be to select a real greek font and turn the keyboard layout to "el".

Sven Neumann
2004-11-01 23:28:44 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Miguel Ortiz Lombardía writes:

This is much more complicated than it used to be.

How did you use to do it?

gucharmap can install a GTK+ input module which you can then use from the right-click menu in the GIMP text editor.

Sven

Miguel Ortiz Lombardía
2004-11-01 23:54:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Just do the steps 4 through 6. You write in english and in the image you see it in greek (it is a little bit weird, but you won't write your entire life story this way...).

No, it also appears in latin letters in the image.

An alternative would be to select a real greek font and turn the keyboard layout to "el".

Yes, this should work, but it's not trivial if you have labels in plain English and labels with greek or whatever symbol.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Miguel

Miguel Ortiz Lombardía
2004-11-01 23:56:14 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi Sven,

This is much more complicated than it used to be.

How did you use to do it?

Well, there was a "Symbol" font that it used to work just fine. At least when using Gimp 1.x on a RedHat 8.0.

gucharmap can install a GTK+ input module which you can then use from the right-click menu in the GIMP text editor.

Thank you for this. I will give it a try.

Cheers,

Miguel