RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

2.0.5 and digital photos

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

2.0.5 and digital photos David A Iacobellis 27 Oct 23:39
  2.0.5 and digital photos Carol Spears 28 Oct 01:22
   2.0.5 and digital photos Sven Neumann 28 Oct 02:20
    2.0.5 and digital photos Richard Taylor 06 Nov 12:56
2.0.5 and digital photos David A Iacobellis 28 Oct 00:11
  2.0.5 and digital photos Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com 28 Oct 00:20
David A Iacobellis
2004-10-27 23:39:05 UTC (over 19 years ago)

2.0.5 and digital photos

Hello,

I just upgraded to Gimp 2.0.5. Many of the photos I take with my digital camera are taken with the camera held vertically. I was told by this mailing list that starting with Gimp 2.0.4 the image would be automatically rotated according to the exif data. When I open my photos under Gimp 2.0.5 they are not being rotated. I have libexif installed as well as the exif-browser plugin which is working correctly. Why are my photos not being rotated and is there a way to make this happen? Further when I rotate the photos using the transform>rotate option the top and bottom of my photos are being cut off. Is there a way to correct this as well?

Thanks,

Dave

David A Iacobellis
2004-10-28 00:11:52 UTC (over 19 years ago)

2.0.5 and digital photos

I have used jhead in the past and it is a fast and powerful tool. What I am trying to do is set another user up with a Linux system. He is newly arrived from the wonderful world of Windows and is totally intimidated by anything console. I had hoped Gimp would have included auto orientation or at least an option for it by 2.0.4, oh well.

Does anyone have an idea why I lose the top and bottom of my images when I rotate? This is a new problem for me as no other version of Gimp did this. When I rotate it appears that only one layer is rotating as the background checkerboard pattern stays in the original shape and position with the rotated image filling only to the upper and lower limits of the original pattern.

Thanks,

Dave

Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com
2004-10-28 00:20:13 UTC (over 19 years ago)

2.0.5 and digital photos

Try right-clicking on the image then "Image/Transform/{flip the way you want}" instead of "Layer/Transform/{flip the way you want}".

See what that does...

Peace...

Tom

David A Iacobellis gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Sent by: cc gimp-user-bounces @lists.xcf.berkel Subject ey.edu [Gimp-user] 2.0.5 and digital photos 10/27/2004 03:11 PM

I have used jhead in the past and it is a fast and powerful tool. What I am
trying to do is set another user up with a Linux system. He is newly arrived
from the wonderful world of Windows and is totally intimidated by anything console. I had hoped Gimp would have included auto orientation or at least

an option for it by 2.0.4, oh well.

Does anyone have an idea why I lose the top and bottom of my images when I rotate? This is a new problem for me as no other version of Gimp did this.
When I rotate it appears that only one layer is rotating as the background checkerboard pattern stays in the original shape and position with the rotated image filling only to the upper and lower limits of the original pattern.

Thanks,

Dave

Carol Spears
2004-10-28 01:22:07 UTC (over 19 years ago)

2.0.5 and digital photos

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 05:39:05PM -0400, David A Iacobellis wrote:

I just upgraded to Gimp 2.0.5. Many of the photos I take with my digital camera are taken with the camera held vertically. I was told by this mailing list that starting with Gimp 2.0.4 the image would be automatically rotated according to the exif data.

you learned this information on this list?

to the best of my knowledge, gimp still does not use exif information. while it is perhaps not the best software to introduce a newbie to jpegtran is a commandline doey that will do that for you. although, maybe after the newbie sees the commandline work, it will make other "new things" easier to digest, i dunno.

from what i can see, the developers have not done this because right now there is no way for gimp to do this to jpegs in a lossless fashion. and, i might be wrong about this -- i just read things here and there and put that idea together myself.

and really, it is too bad that the cameras dont handle png's. at least mine doesnt. and when i went to make prints, the kiosk print making machine didnt read png either.

anyways, good luck what ever you end up doing,

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-10-28 02:20:03 UTC (over 19 years ago)

2.0.5 and digital photos

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

to the best of my knowledge, gimp still does not use exif information. while it is perhaps not the best software to introduce a newbie to jpegtran is a commandline doey that will do that for you.

If the camera actually saves the orientation info in the exif data, then I suggest to use exiftran. It is more convenient to use than jpegtran.

Sven

Richard Taylor
2004-11-06 12:56:23 UTC (over 19 years ago)

2.0.5 and digital photos

On Thursday 28 Oct 2004 01:20, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

to the best of my knowledge, gimp still does not use exif information. while it is perhaps not the best software to introduce a newbie to jpegtran is a commandline doey that will do that for you.

If the camera actually saves the orientation info in the exif data, then I suggest to use exiftran. It is more convenient to use than jpegtran.

Another option is digiKam, if you don't mind KDE apps. The new version of digiKam (0.7.0) supports autorotation of images based on EXIF information. The autorotation can be done when the images are uploaded from the camera or when they are viewed. The rotation of the jpegs is done using a lossless method.

Version 0.7.0-rc1 came out last week and the 0.7.0 release should be out in the next few days.

Richard