RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

configuring GIMP for sawgrass superdriver V4

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

configuring GIMP for sawgrass superdriver V4 kwisj 04 Nov 08:18
  configuring GIMP for sawgrass superdriver V4 Marco Ciampa 05 Nov 07:05
   configuring GIMP for sawgrass superdriver V4 kwisj 05 Nov 19:21
    configuring GIMP for sawgrass superdriver V4 Marco Ciampa 06 Nov 07:40
2015-11-04 08:18:46 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

Hi
I downloaded and set up SG powerdriver V4 for my Ricoh sg7100DN printer and then eventually found out that I should download the powerdriver, which I did. But it says there are two parts to the set up: one of which is configuring your graphics program. I have installed powerdriver, but I dont know how to configure GIMP 28 for the powerdriver. There are instructions on the sawgrass site for various professional programs but not for gimp: it seems that these programs have preinstalled files relevant to the powerdriver. See here http://sawgrassink.indigofiles.com/product_documentation/sublijet/pdv4/SJR_7100_PSG_PS_CS5.5_PDv4_Preset.pdf Does any one know anything about configuring gimp for the SG Powerdiver? Thanx for your time
Kwisj

Marco Ciampa
2015-11-05 07:05:08 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On Wed, Nov 04, 2015 at 09:18:46AM +0100, kwisj wrote:

Hi
I downloaded and set up SG powerdriver V4 for my Ricoh sg7100DN printer and then eventually found out that I should download the powerdriver, which I did. But it says there are two parts to the set up: one of which is configuring your graphics program. I have installed powerdriver, but I dont know how to configure GIMP 28 for the powerdriver. There are instructions on the sawgrass site for various professional programs but not for gimp: it seems that these programs have preinstalled files relevant to the powerdriver. See here http://sawgrassink.indigofiles.com/product_documentation/sublijet/pdv4/SJR_7100_PSG_PS_CS5.5_PDv4_Preset.pdf Does any one know anything about configuring gimp for the SG Powerdiver?

I do not want to be rude and I know that is not polite to answer a question with other questions but anyway, forgive my curiosity please, some questions pops up in my mind:

* why ask for support of a commercial product here? * Are we in any way connected with this proprietary software? * Should we?
* Why should we support any proprietary software for free (as in beer) when they gain the real money? * did you ask for support to the proprietary software first? * if you asked for support first did they answer you and what?

I understand that all started with buying that printer and because of that you are now involvend involuntary in all this driver mess but I really think that:

* IMHO creating some "driver" that needs some software support installed on all graphics softwares is all but a great idea * you really should contact the printer and/or the driver software authors for this kind of support and specifically ask for GIMP support since I doubt that that kind of support comes from the various graphic software authors

this is my not very humble opinion and it is _not_ connected with any GIMP devs opinion and sorry if I seem to be rude anyway but this was not my intention. I hope you are understanding my points.

--

Marco Ciampa

I know a joke about UDP, but you might not get it.

+------------------------+ | GNU/Linux User #78271 |
| FSFE fellow #364 |
+------------------------+

2015-11-05 19:21:38 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

Hi Marco
Not sure what you are talking about. I just wanted some advice on GIMP settings that's all. The sawgrass software is proprietary...but it is part of the driver for the printer..its a free download to fine tune graphics software and the printer that you use when printing out an image. Nothing heavy. If its not possible to fine tune GIMP then a simple 'not possible to fine tune GIMP ' would have done. I have been to the sawgrass site but they only have tutorials for proprietary software like 'Photoshop.' Been using GIMP for years and have never needed to use the sawgrass powerdriver before. All I wanted to do was to make sure GIMP and my printer software run as well as I can make them together. Don't need any lectures thanx. I guess GIMP cant drive a printer on its own, so I guess I need to use a proprietary driver to print out whatever I create in GIMP, no? Thanx for your advise...unvaluable
kwisj

Marco Ciampa
2015-11-06 07:40:42 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 08:21:38PM +0100, kwisj wrote:

I guess GIMP cant drive a printer on its own, so I guess I need to use a proprietary driver to print out whatever I create in GIMP, no?

yes you are right

Thanx for your advise...unvaluable

Sorry if I seemed to be ... wordy ? ;-)

evidently I went overboard but I think that it is better a word more than less... I thought you were looking for support for a proprietary software now I know that that was not your intention.

Regards,

--

Marco Ciampa

I know a joke about UDP, but you might not get it.

+------------------------+ | GNU/Linux User #78271 |
| FSFE fellow #364 |
+------------------------+