RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Free Select Lasso Tool - Please help me

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Free Select Lasso Tool - Please help me Ladystar 12 Oct 22:25
  Free Select Lasso Tool - Please help me Pat David 13 Oct 00:44
   Free Select Lasso Tool - Please help me Ladystar 13 Oct 02:18
  Free Select Lasso Tool - Please help me Ofnuts 14 Oct 07:40
2015-10-12 22:25:33 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

HI , I am an amateur gimp users, self taught through you tube, about five years in now. Something has changed and no matter how many times i scrape gimp off my drive and reinstall (registry entries too), the issue remains the same.

I can find no settings or options to affect this issue, so it must be something stupid I have changed or don't understand about the program.

let's say as an example i paste a picture into my gimp frame and from within that picture I want to cut something out, using my lasso tool by clicking multiple points around the object closely and then CTRL X to cut it out.

This tool has always worked 100 percent, but now when I attempt to laydown selection dots around my object, before i am finished laying down the dots, the dots behind me dissapear, or the dots close the loop in some intersected way that I didn't choose because i didn't get to finish going around my object.

I am litterally losing my mind over this issue. I have hit hte tool reset button, i have used all th different tool selection settings, I can't get it to let me finish selecting the object i want to cut out, without it finishing it or me too early and cutting across my object.

I have attached a picture showing how the lasso tool closed the loop on me while I was still trying to go around the object with selection dots.

Has anyone experienced this, can someone help me.

thank you Ladystar

Pat David
2015-10-13 00:44:48 UTC (over 8 years ago)

When using that tool, double-clicking will attempt to close the path from that location - are you accidentally double-clicking by chance?

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 5:36 PM Ladystar wrote:

HI , I am an amateur gimp users, self taught through you tube, about five years
in now. Something has changed and no matter how many times i scrape gimp off my
drive and reinstall (registry entries too), the issue remains the same.

I can find no settings or options to affect this issue, so it must be something
stupid I have changed or don't understand about the program.

let's say as an example i paste a picture into my gimp frame and from within
that picture I want to cut something out, using my lasso tool by clicking multiple points around the object closely and then CTRL X to cut it out.

This tool has always worked 100 percent, but now when I attempt to laydown selection dots around my object, before i am finished laying down the dots, the
dots behind me dissapear, or the dots close the loop in some intersected way
that I didn't choose because i didn't get to finish going around my object.

I am litterally losing my mind over this issue. I have hit hte tool reset button, i have used all th different tool selection settings, I can't get it to
let me finish selecting the object i want to cut out, without it finishing it or
me too early and cutting across my object.

I have attached a picture showing how the lasso tool closed the loop on me while
I was still trying to go around the object with selection dots.

thank you Ladystar

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/223/original/lassotool.png

-- Ladystar (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

2015-10-13 02:18:36 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

When using that tool, double-clicking will attempt to close the path from
that location - are you accidentally double-clicking by chance?

hI Pat

Thank you for your quick reply. I do not believe that to be the case, as I thought perhaps the mouse settings had changed to a "single click' instead of double click feature and even went into mouse setting to check that it still required a double click to do an action. I do not believe it to be a accidental double click issue.

Ofnuts
2015-10-14 07:40:26 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On 13/10/15 00:25, Ladystar wrote:

HI , I am an amateur gimp users, self taught through you tube, about five years in now. Something has changed and no matter how many times i scrape gimp off my drive and reinstall (registry entries too), the issue remains the same.

I can find no settings or options to affect this issue, so it must be something stupid I have changed or don't understand about the program.

let's say as an example i paste a picture into my gimp frame and from within that picture I want to cut something out, using my lasso tool by clicking multiple points around the object closely and then CTRL X to cut it out.

This tool has always worked 100 percent, but now when I attempt to laydown selection dots around my object, before i am finished laying down the dots, the dots behind me dissapear, or the dots close the loop in some intersected way that I didn't choose because i didn't get to finish going around my object.

I am litterally losing my mind over this issue. I have hit hte tool reset button, i have used all th different tool selection settings, I can't get it to let me finish selecting the object i want to cut out, without it finishing it or me too early and cutting across my object.

I have attached a picture showing how the lasso tool closed the loop on me while I was still trying to go around the object with selection dots.

thank you Ladystar

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/223/original/lassotool.png

Gimp is being told by your OS that you double-clicked... So it's really a matter that for that particular use, you may end up clicking too many times or too fast.

Things to check:

1) if you have an old mouse (or even a recent Logitech MX that wear off fast), the left click contact may be worn out and generating spurious clicks (when my two previous mice started dying on me, I first noticed in Gimp... because other apps a less sensitive to double clicks). Try another mouse.

2) if its a wireless mouse, check the batteries (or try with new batteries)

3) your OS has a mouse setting somewhere that determines how close two mouse clicks should be to be interpreted as a mouse a click. Narrowing that interval could help.