RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Help With OSX El Capitan

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Help With OSX El Capitan kelly wheelhouse 11 Oct 20:07
  Help With OSX El Capitan Jon Tait 11 Oct 23:09
   Help With OSX El Capitan Revolt 10 May 12:24
    Help With OSX El Capitan Ross Martinek 10 May 21:55
   Help With OSX El Capitan Jollymath 02 Dec 16:12
    Help With OSX El Capitan Ross Martinek 02 Dec 17:07
     Help With OSX El Capitan Liam R. E. Quin 02 Dec 21:46
      Help With OSX El Capitan JaketheSpike 28 Jan 11:44
  Help With OSX El Capitan Marc200000 06 Feb 17:02
kelly wheelhouse
2015-10-11 20:07:39 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Help With OSX El Capitan

Hi,I have recently updated to El Capitan on my mac and Gimp now will only load to the 'looking for data files' stage before freezing and crashing.I really need Gimp as I am a YouTuber and use it to create my thumbnails. Please can someone assist me with getting it to work again. thanks, kelly

Jon Tait
2015-10-11 23:09:58 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Help With OSX El Capitan

This is probably just GIMP taking a long time to load fonts, which does happen after up-grading the OS.
It hasn't actually crashed, even though the window greys-out and OSX might complain that GIMP is not responding, the font loading is still going on and you just need to be patient.
Another user has recently been through the same thing with OSX 10.11 as reported here:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=756092 The real problem is the ridiculous number and size of fonts which are being included with Windoze and OSX nowadays.

The usual advice given on the forums now is just to start Gimp running and then leave it alone - don't even touch the keyboard or the mouse, just get up, walk away and go do something else for at least an hour. (Yes, really!) When you come back, Gimp will probably be up and running and you will then have no further problems.

Having said that, we don't actually know how long it does take on OSX 10.11. So, if you have the patience, perhaps you could actually keep an eye on your computer while GIMP is loading the first time (read the newspaper or something) and hopefully tell us approximately how long it does take ..is it 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, longer ?

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 9:07 PM, kelly wheelhouse < kelly.wheelhouse@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

Hi,I have recently updated to El Capitan on my mac and Gimp now will only load to the 'looking for data files' stage before freezing and crashing.I really need Gimp as I am a YouTuber and use it to create my thumbnails. Please can someone assist me with getting it to work again. thanks, kelly _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

2016-02-06 17:02:18 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

Help With OSX El Capitan

Yes I confirm. It seems like it has crashed but it will happily run after a few minutes.

2016-05-10 12:24:31 UTC (almost 8 years ago)
postings

Help With OSX El Capitan

Isn't there any configuration option to not load all the fonts? Or load them when I request them, like when I try to use the text tool.

This is probably just GIMP taking a long time to load fonts, which does
happen after up-grading the OS.
It hasn't actually crashed, even though the window greys-out and OSX might
complain that GIMP is not responding, the font loading is still going on
and you just need to be patient.
Another user has recently been through the same thing with OSX 10.11 as
reported here:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=756092 The real problem is the ridiculous number and size of fonts which are being
included with Windoze and OSX nowadays.

The usual advice given on the forums now is just to start Gimp running and
then leave it alone - don't even touch the keyboard or the mouse, just get
up, walk away and go do something else for at least an hour. (Yes, really!)
When you come back, Gimp will probably be up and running and you will then
have no further problems.

Having said that, we don't actually know how long it does take on OSX 10.11. So, if you have the patience, perhaps you could actually keep an eye
on your computer while GIMP is loading the first time (read the newspaper
or something) and hopefully tell us approximately how long it does take
..is it 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, longer ?

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 9:07 PM, kelly wheelhouse < kelly.wheelhouse@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

Ross Martinek
2016-05-10 21:55:58 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Help With OSX El Capitan

Not that I can find.

As for only loading when you use the tool, that will slow you down tremendously.

A possible work around is to save the fonts you use frequently as presets in the Text tool.

Ross

On May 10, 2016, at 7:24 AM, Revolt wrote:

Isn't there any configuration option to not load all the fonts? Or load them when I request them, like when I try to use the text tool.

reported here:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=756092 The real problem is the ridiculous number and size of fonts which are being

Having said that, we don't actually know how long it does take on OSX 10.11. So, if you have the patience, perhaps you could actually keep an eye

--
Revolt (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

2016-12-02 16:12:46 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Help With OSX El Capitan

reported here:

My 2008 MacBook Pro just loaded up taking about ten minutes to load fonts!

Ross Martinek
2016-12-02 17:07:25 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Help With OSX El Capitan

This is normal the first time launching GIMP with OS 10.11.6. After that it should be much faster unless you are loading a very large file. I just launched GIMP—5 seconds. Loading one of my 16MB files takes 30 seconds. May take a bit longer on a 2008 MacBook Pro, mine is mid 2010.

Ross

On Dec 2, 2016, at 10:12 AM, Jollymath wrote:

reported here:

My 2008 MacBook Pro just loaded up taking about ten minutes to load fonts!

-- Jollymath (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list

Liam R. E. Quin
2016-12-02 21:46:12 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Help With OSX El Capitan

On Fri, 2016-12-02 at 11:07 -0600, Ross Martinek wrote:

This is normal the first time launching GIMP with OS 10.11.6. After that it should be much faster unless you are loading a very large file. I just launched GIMP—5 seconds. Loading one of my 16MB files takes 30 seconds. May take a bit longer on a 2008 MacBook Pro, mine is mid 2010.

About the same here (Mageia Linux, GIMP git master/2.9), 5 or 6 seconds to start GIMP. It'd be faster if i had fewer than 8,500 fonts installed probably. It just took 45 seconds to load a 1.6GByte PNG file, although I was unable to load a 4.1G xcf file (GIMP said the file was corrupt).

But (1) I'm on Linux and (2) GIMP 2.8 starts in 3 seconds, and (3) I have 32G of RAM.

Liam

Liam R. E. Quin 
2017-01-28 11:44:34 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Help With OSX El Capitan

I'm using El Capitan (10.11.6) and it takes 3 minutes for GIMP to load my fonts when I open the program for the first time AFTER THE COMPUTER HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. Quiting GIMP and then re-opening it thereafter takes just seconds to get up and running.

I have 316 fonts installed and have disabled half of them in Font Book. This makes them unavailable in all my apps – except GIMP! I don't understand this but I'm not too bothered.