RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Can't get "Themes" to work

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Can't get "Themes" to work knuckledra99er 10 Jul 20:39
  Can't get "Themes" to work Kevin Payne 13 Jul 19:20
   Can't get "Themes" to work knuckledra99er 14 Jul 15:30
2015-07-10 20:39:35 UTC (almost 9 years ago)
postings

I've started using GIMP a lot in the past 12 months, getting better as time goes on. Really like it, the more familiar I become with the functionality, the more I impress myself with it's capabilities.

Using GIMP 2.8.6 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine, and I probably have what would be considered "moderate" computer skills. Not writing code, nor compiling my own software, but I know my way around a machine and can usually work my way through manual installs where files have to be copied into specific directories, etc.

Anyway, thought I'd give "themes" a try, and as you can see from the attached file have a number of themes present in the c:\Program files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\themes directory (as online sources state is necessary).

And, in GIMP, if I navigate to EDIT>PREFERENCES>THEME all of those choices are selectable.

BUT, no change results from selecting any of them and then clicking on "OK", it doesn't matter if I shut down GIMP or not. All I get is the default theme.

Questions:

1. what am I missing/ doing wrong? Is there some *.dll file that I need to obtain and insert into a particular directory?

2. Are the Various and sundry GIMP themes that are available safe to use on my PC. The potential for malware concerns me since no add-on themes seem to be available from the gimp.org distribution. Are there gimp themes that are considered"trusted source" by the community?

As a postscript, I need to mention that when I was trying to use an automatic installer ( the "GIMP THEMES 1.0" product) the install routine kept insisting that I use " C:\Program Files (X86)\GIMP 2" as the install-to location, when in fact there is no such animal on my machine, and manually changing the "install-to" location in the box provided to the correct location had no effect. The install routine created it's own directory in the C:\Program Files (X86) directory regardless of my efforts to change it.

Thanks in advance for any help

Kevin Payne
2015-07-13 19:20:03 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

I have interleaved some responses

Kevin

Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 22:39:35 +0200 From: forums@gimpusers.com
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
CC: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Can't get "Themes" to work

Using GIMP 2.8.6 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine

Is there a reason you're not using the latest version- 2.8.14 ?

Anyway, thought I'd give "themes" a try, and as you can see from the attached file have a number of themes present in the c:\Program files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\themes directory (as online sources state is necessary).

It's generally considered a bad idea to put extras in the GIMP system directory - they should be in your personal GIMP directory: C:\users\your-username\.gimp-2.8

BUT, no change results from selecting any of them and then clicking on "OK", it doesn't matter if I shut down GIMP or not. All I get is the default theme.

You do have to re-start GIMP to get the theme to be used.

1. what am I missing/ doing wrong? Is there some *.dll file that I need to obtain and insert into a particular directory?

That depends on the theme in question - some use particular GTK Theme engines and as the Windows version of GIMP only ships with a single theme engine (pixmap) some may not work as expected without finding and installing the appropriate engine.

2. Are the Various and sundry GIMP themes that are available safe to use on my PC. The potential for malware concerns me since no add-on themes seem to be available from the gimp.org distribution. Are there gimp themes that are considered"trusted source" by the community?

I've not heard of any malicious themes, but others may be able to answer that better than me.

As a postscript, I need to mention that when I was trying to use an automatic installer ( the "GIMP THEMES 1.0" product) the install routine kept insisting that I use " C:\Program Files (X86)\GIMP 2" as the install-to location, when in fact there is no such animal on my machine, and manually changing the "install-to" location in the box provided to the correct location had no effect. The install routine created it's own directory in the C:\Program Files (X86) directory regardless of my efforts to change it.

I have no idea what that is, and question the need for an installer - themes generally come as a compressed archive (.zip, 7z etc) that you uncompress into your personal themes directory.

I recommend you take this up on one of the GIMP forums (gimpchat.com or gimpforums.com) as there's plenty of people who can help.

Kevin

2015-07-14 15:30:32 UTC (almost 9 years ago)
postings

I have interleaved some responses

Kevin

Is there a reason you're not using the latest version- 2.8.14 ? It's generally considered a bad idea to put extras in the GIMP system

I recommend you take this up on one of the GIMP forums (gimpchat.com or gimpforums.com) as there's plenty of people who can help.

Kevin

I'll respect your suggestion to take the matter up over where you have replied to me at gimpforums.com

In reply to your ancillary comments above.

I installed 2.8.6 on my machine in mid 2013. I'm really not an "artist" I use the program mostly to get my PC to do things that I need it to do. So, I really only started using Gimp regularly about a year ago. Documentation is sparse and the learning curve (for a n00b) is steep. It took me a while to get to the point where "extras" were something I thought I might need. So, only recently has the thought of improving my Gimp experience entered the picture.

I put the extras where I did pretty much mimicking the directory structure that the install routine used when it incorrectly installed to C:\Program Files x86\Gimp..., except I moved them to the correct C:\Program Files\Gimp... location.

Thanks!