RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Making a Tile

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Making a Tile Nick Wilson 01 Oct 15:42
  Making a Tile Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 01 Oct 15:47
   Making a Tile Nick Wilson 01 Oct 16:27
    Making a Tile Nick Wilson 01 Oct 16:34
     Making a Tile Nick Wilson 01 Oct 16:42
      Making a Tile Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 01 Oct 19:10
       Making a Tile Nick Wilson 01 Oct 21:35
      Making a Tile Asif Lodhi 01 Oct 22:49
Making a Tile William Skaggs 01 Oct 23:39
Nick Wilson
2004-10-01 15:42:54 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Making a Tile

Hi all,

I've found a tutorial on making a tile (suitable for a web page background) but it talks about clicking the 'tileable' checkbox. The effect im using does not have this:

I want to make a seemless tile of about 100px wide buy 80px deep.

This is how i create the effect i want to tile

PythonFu -> Effects -> add fog

How can i make the left and right hand edges so that the image will tile nicely (horizontall) accross the screen?

Much thanks...

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-10-01 15:47:29 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Making a Tile

On Friday 01 October 2004 10:42, Nick Wilson wrote:

Hi all,

I've found a tutorial on making a tile (suitable for a web page background) but it talks about clicking the 'tileable' checkbox. The effect im using does not have this:

How can i make the left and right hand edges so that the image will tile nicely (horizontall) accross the screen?

I'd suggest that you would offset the layer by x/2 and y/2 (layer->transforms->offset), and retouch the "seans" that now will be in the middle of your image by hand using the clonetool, until it becomes "seamless".

Much thanks...

Not at all!
JS
->

Nick Wilson
2004-10-01 16:27:39 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Making a Tile

* and then Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris declared....

I'd suggest that you would offset the layer by x/2 and y/2 (layer->transforms->offset), and retouch the "seans" that now will be in the middle of your image by hand using the clonetool, until it becomes "seamless".

Right, thanks. I've worked out how to offset (only need the x offset) but the clone tool has a cirle with a line through it? - looks like it wont work for some reason?

Thanks again.

Nick Wilson
2004-10-01 16:34:11 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Making a Tile

* and then Nick Wilson declared....

Right, thanks. I've worked out how to offset (only need the x offset) but the clone tool has a cirle with a line through it? - looks like it wont work for some reason?

Sorry, just worked it out. Too hard for me i think, the 'fog' pattern is way to complex, i'll try find a way to do it with somthing that has 'make tileable'....

Cheers

Nick Wilson
2004-10-01 16:42:31 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Making a Tile

Sorry, just worked it out. Too hard for me i think, the 'fog' pattern is way to complex, i'll try find a way to do it with somthing that has 'make tileable'....

Eureka! - i think..
Is there a way that if i use the script-fu -> fog thing I can then make part of the layer fade away? - it's for a 80px deep 'header' so if i can make the right hand edge fade into the background it'd work?

Sorry to be a pain ;-) i just really like this effect and would love to use it..

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-10-01 19:10:36 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Making a Tile

On Friday 01 October 2004 11:42, Nick Wilson wrote:

Eureka! - i think..
Is there a way that if i use the script-fu -> fog thing I can then make part of the layer fade away? - it's for a 80px deep 'header' so if i can make the right hand edge fade into the background it'd work?

Sorry to be a pain ;-) i just really like this effect and would love to use it..

Threw is a thread on how to fade a layer into transparency going on right now - see the messages with subject "Fade one edge of photo to trans.".
However, there are no secrets for those who have understood the way layer masks work:
Just add an opaque (white) mask to your layer, and paint on it with the blender tool, with "linear" and "no repeats" as options, make a gradient from white to black on the edge you want transparency.

It is also worth to note that the pyhon-fu "add fog" actually uses the filters->render->clouds->plasma plug-in in a mask. The "plasma" sibling on the same menu, "solid noise", does have a "tileable" option.

Regards,

JS
->

Nick Wilson
2004-10-01 21:35:37 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Making a Tile

* and then Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris declared....

It is also worth to note that the pyhon-fu "add fog" actually uses the filters->render->clouds->plasma plug-in in a mask. The "plasma" sibling on the same menu, "solid noise", does have a "tileable" option.

OK! i've kinda got what i want with the plasma thingy but it has a *black* background, regardless of what colors i have in the fg/bg - do you know how i might make the background transparent? - a mask?

thanks for the help :-)

Asif Lodhi
2004-10-01 22:49:50 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Making a Tile

Hi

A related tile effect can be applied through Filter/Map/Make Seamless.

Best

Asif

--- Nick Wilson wrote:

Right, thanks. I've worked out how to offset

(only need the x offset)

but the clone tool has a cirle with a line

through it? - looks like it

wont work for some reason?

Sorry, just worked it out. Too hard for me i

think, the 'fog' pattern is

way to complex, i'll try find a way to do it with

somthing that has

'make tileable'....

Eureka! - i think..
Is there a way that if i use the script-fu -> fog thing I can then make
part of the layer fade away? - it's for a 80px deep 'header' so if i can
make the right hand edge fade into the background it'd work?

Sorry to be a pain ;-) i just really like this effect and would love to
use it..

William Skaggs
2004-10-01 23:39:42 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Making a Tile

Nick W wrote:

If the clone tool cursor looks like that, it means you haven't set the source to clone from: it can't copy if you haven't told it what to copy. See http://docs.gimp.org/en/ch03s03s08.html for more information.

Best,
-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu