RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Howto make animated gif w/ tranparent background?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Howto make animated gif w/ tranparent background? Steve Bibayoff 01 Oct 01:09
  Howto make animated gif w/ tranparent background? Carol Spears 01 Oct 02:49
Steve Bibayoff
2004-10-01 01:09:49 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hello,

Please excuse the most likely sophomoric difficulty of this question, but how do you make an animated gif that has a transparent background? The whole visible image is moving, so it can't cover up the previous fame.

I'm assuming it involves the alpha channel (or mask) somehow, but I am not a graphic designer and don't know what each of terms actually mean. Is there a good tutorial (or even book) that explains what each of these terms mean?

TIA

Steve

Carol Spears
2004-10-01 02:49:09 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 04:09:49PM -0700, Steve Bibayoff wrote:

Please excuse the most likely sophomoric difficulty of this question, but how do you make an animated gif that has a transparent background? The whole visible image is moving, so it can't cover up the previous fame.

I'm assuming it involves the alpha channel (or mask) somehow, but I am not a graphic designer and don't know what each of terms actually mean. Is there a good tutorial (or even book) that explains what each of these terms mean?

there is an option in the animation dialog, "Frame disposal where unspecified" and the default is "I dont care". change that to "One frame per layer (disposal)" and it should do the trick.

carol