RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Fade one edge of photo to trans.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Fade one edge of photo to trans. George Farris 29 Sep 23:11
  Fade one edge of photo to trans. Steve Crane 29 Sep 23:29
  Fade one edge of photo to trans. Steve Stavropoulos 29 Sep 23:40
  Fade one edge of photo to trans. Dave Neary 01 Oct 11:57
George Farris
2004-09-29 23:11:55 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I'm sure there is an easy way to do this, I just can't find it.

How do I fade on edge of a photo to transparency? Given a 4' by 5" picture I want to fade slowly fade (gradient) the first inch from transparency to the picture.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Crane
2004-09-29 23:29:09 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 02:11:55PM -0700, George Farris wrote:

How do I fade on edge of a photo to transparency? Given a 4' by 5" picture I want to fade slowly fade (gradient) the first inch from transparency to the picture.

If your image has more than one layer then flatten it. Make sure that the background layer has an alpha channel, use the Add Alpha Channel commnd if necessary. Use the rectangular selection tool to select the inch or so you want to fade. Add a white (full opacity) lare mask to the background layer. Set foreground colour to white and background colour to black. Use the gradient tool with a FG to BG gradient and draw a line from the edge of the selection to the edge of the image. THis will draw a gradient on the mask, causing the image to be faded to transparent at the edge, as you require.

Steve Stavropoulos
2004-09-29 23:40:53 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:11:55 -0700, George Farris wrote:

Add alpha channel to layer and add white (full opacity) layer mask. Select the mask and having as fg color, white, and as bg color, black, use the gradient tool (with no repeat as an option) to make the fading.

Dave Neary
2004-10-01 11:57:00 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Quoting George Farris :

The easiest way to do this is to ensure that your layer has an alpha channel (Layer->Transparency->Add alpha channel), then in the layers dialog, add a layer mask (right click on layer, Add layer mask) selecting full opacity (white) as the start state for the mask, and then use the gradient too fril FG to BG (white to black, basically) to degrade one edge of the layer mask.

A layer mask is essentially like the alpha channel of an image - if a point in the mask has the value 0, then the combined image is transparent at that point. If it's 255, then the image is fully opaque at that point, and so on.

You can do this without a layer mask by using a quick mask, but it's essentially the same operation.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary
Lyon, France