RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Relative-move pixel distance?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Relative-move pixel distance? Brandon Kuczenski 29 Sep 01:46
  Relative-move pixel distance? Sven Neumann 29 Sep 02:18
  Relative-move pixel distance? Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 29 Sep 05:05
Brandon Kuczenski
2004-09-29 01:46:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Recently upgraded to GIMP 2.0.4 on both Windows and Linux platforms. IIRC, when I was moving a selection in GIMP 1.x, the distance moved since mouse-1 was last clicked used to show up on the status bar. Now, that value *does* show up on the status bar, but only *while* the mouse is *actually* moving, meaning when I am trying to get something to just the right position, it only flashes for an instant, making it very hard to see.

I have tried clearing my status-bar preference, so that nothing is displayed ordinarily, but still in this case -- the relative move distance shows up for just an instant and vanishes. Is there a fix for this? I haven't seen anything about it in the manual or google (but it's hard to tell what to search for).

As a related topic -- is it possible in GIMP to create an array of selections? Like, select something and copy it, and then paste n of them down in a line (or as a floating selection), spaced exactly x pixels apart? Such a feature would be extremely cool.

Thanks for the software, Brandon

Sven Neumann
2004-09-29 02:18:10 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Brandon Kuczenski writes:

Recently upgraded to GIMP 2.0.4 on both Windows and Linux platforms. IIRC, when I was moving a selection in GIMP 1.x, the distance moved since mouse-1 was last clicked used to show up on the status bar. Now, that value *does* show up on the status bar, but only *while* the mouse is *actually* moving, meaning when I am trying to get something to just the right position, it only flashes for an instant, making it very hard to see.

This is a known bug in GIMP 2.0 which has so far only been fixed in the development branch. We will start doing pre-releases for 2.2 soon so perhaps you want to try the development version.

As a related topic -- is it possible in GIMP to create an array of selections? Like, select something and copy it, and then paste n of them down in a line (or as a floating selection), spaced exactly x pixels apart? Such a feature would be extremely cool.

This could be implemented quite easily as a script.

Sven

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-09-29 05:05:13 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 20:46, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:

Do you really want that?
I can factor a python-fu script for that (as Sven pointed out, it is easy to do as a script).

BTW, actually, this effect could be achieved with Gimp-GAP (gimp animation package), but even them it would be harder them making a script just for this.

Thanks for the software,
Brandon