RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Clipping path as alpha channel

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Clipping path as alpha channel CaptBaldy 05 Feb 23:42
  Clipping path as alpha channel Alexandre Prokoudine 07 Feb 12:56
  Clipping path as alpha channel Alexandre Prokoudine 07 Feb 13:00
2015-02-05 23:42:44 UTC (about 9 years ago)
postings

Hello, complete noob here...

So I have an image that I need to edit/fix before submitting to a online vendor for sale of the product in the picture on their website. I have met all their dimensional requirements and such but I have one that I am completely lost on. Their requirement is directly below:

"Outline Path: Main/Primary images should have an outline/clipping path around the product (where applicable - no need to outline lifestyle images). This outline/clipping path must be saved as a selection (alpha channel). TIFF Transparency is not allowed."

Can anyone help me and explain what they are asking for and possibly how to do this? I have tried to figure it out myself but every time I think I have it I end up with a file with just a white image subject with black background or vice versa.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-02-07 12:56:06 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 2:42 AM, CaptBaldy wrote:

Can anyone help me and explain what they are asking for and possibly how to do this?

GIMP automatically saves all existing paths as clipping paths when exporting to TIFF. Hence all you need is:

1. Make a selection around the object any way you prefer. 2. Choose 'Select -> To Path' in the menu. 3. Export as TIFF.

Note that the selection should be quite clean. You can test this:

1. Convert the path to selection (from Paths dockable dialog, right-click menu or the bottom toolbar). 2. Press Ctrl+I to invert selection. 3. Press Del or Ctrl+X to remove the area around your original selection.

That will give you an idea how the clipped object will look.

Alternatively you can run a desktop publishing app, create an image frame, load your TIFF file and apply the clipping path.

Alex

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-02-07 13:00:37 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 2:42 AM, CaptBaldy wrote:

"Outline Path: Main/Primary images should have an outline/clipping path around the product (where applicable - no need to outline lifestyle images). This outline/clipping path must be saved as a selection (alpha channel). TIFF Transparency is not allowed."

Can anyone help me and explain what they are asking for

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_path

Alex