RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Commercial Use of GIMP?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Commercial Use of GIMP? Kevin Redona 28 Jan 16:12
  Commercial Use of GIMP? Mike Williams 28 Jan 23:29
   Commercial Use of GIMP? Alexandre Prokoudine 29 Jan 09:41
  Commercial Use of GIMP? Simos Xenitellis 29 Jan 09:43
Kevin Redona
2015-01-28 16:12:53 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Commercial Use of GIMP?

Hello all.  May someone please tell me if the terms of use of GIMP allow me to use it for commercial purposes?  May I, for example, use gimp to make or edit images for videos that I monetize for YouTube?  May I also make a logo or trademark for my monetized YouTube channel using GIMP?  Please provide proof or confirmation of your answer (link to terms of use, link to a webpage, etc.).  I would appreciate your responses and I thank you all in advance.

Mike Williams
2015-01-28 23:29:10 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Commercial Use of GIMP?

Kevin,

Hi there. No problem. You may use Gimp for whatever you like. If you make money from your use use of Gimp, that is fine.

You can probably find something on gimp.org to back that up. It may be covered in the license.

I'm sure what I've said is correct, but I'm not going fishing for links.

I've never heard of a piece of software that prohibits you from using that software to make money. Does anyone else know of software that restricts people from using the program to make money?

Mike

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 11:12 AM, Kevin Redona wrote:

Hello all. May someone please tell me if the terms of use of GIMP allow me to use it for commercial purposes? May I, for example, use gimp to make or edit images for videos that I monetize for YouTube? May I also make a logo or trademark for my monetized YouTube channel using GIMP? Please provide proof or confirmation of your answer (link to terms of use, link to a webpage, etc.). I would appreciate your responses and I thank you all in advance.
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-01-29 09:41:40 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Commercial Use of GIMP?

29 янв. 2015 г. 3:29 пользователь "Mike Williams" написал:

I've never heard of a piece of software that prohibits you from using that software to make money. Does anyone else know of software that restricts people from using the program to make money?

The vast mahority of proprietary software with academic discounts is not for commercial use.

And yes, GIMP has no such restrictions.

Alex

Simos Xenitellis
2015-01-29 09:43:33 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Commercial Use of GIMP?

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Kevin Redona wrote:

Hello all. May someone please tell me if the terms of use of GIMP allow me to use it for commercial purposes? May I, for example, use gimp to make or edit images for videos that I monetize for YouTube? May I also make a logo or trademark for my monetized YouTube channel using GIMP? Please provide proof or confirmation of your answer (link to terms of use, link to a webpage, etc.). I would appreciate your responses and I thank you all in advance.

Hi Kevin,

The GIMP program (technically, the "source code") is distributed under the GPLv3 license.
You can read the text of the license in the Help→About menu, or have a look at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html In a nutshell, you will find no restrictions in using GIMP over the artwork that you created.

GIMP is "free and open-source software", so what applies to all other such software, applies to GIMP as well. There is even an FAQ about your question at http://opensource.org/faq

"- Can Open Source software be used for commercial purposes?"

"- Absolutely. All Open Source software can be used for commercial purpose; the Open Source Definition guarantees this. You can even sell Open Source software.

However, note that commercial is not the same as proprietary. If you receive software under an Open Source license, you can always use that software for commercial purposes, but that doesn't always mean you can place further restrictions on people who receive the software from you. In particular, so-called copyleft-style Open Source licenses require that when you distribute the software, you do so under the same license you received it under."

Simos